aaa hardware or software sampling!? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: hardware or software sampling!?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/30             06-May-02  @  12:18 AM   -   hardware or software sampling!?

campati

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

in the discussion about soft vs hard everybody talks about how good/bad softsynths can emulate analogue synths. but what about sampling?? I actually feel more for hardware because i just like to push real little buttons and i find such a piece of equipment just cool so i am thinking buying a sampler as my first instrument(and probaly the only one cause i want to make samplebased funky house...). But now i am afraid that i'm going to waste a lot of many because you can do pretty much the same on a very simple pc... whats the opinion of experienced users of soft/hardware samplers?? thanks for the help!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/30             06-May-02  @  12:38 AM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

influx

Link?: Link

I use a hardware sampler but have to say that if I was just getting started I would spend my money on a good softsampler like Halion or EXS or whatever

its cheaper, more storage, less room, etc.

depends on how comfortable you are with your PC.

I have to say that Im starting to notice the stuff that is done ALL internally. People need to start paying more attention to getting 'sound' out of stuff instead of the sometimes a bit too clinical sound of all digital.

not trying to start an analog VS digital argument, but I would say maybe a good tube box to run stuff through (or hell..even some good plugins will work for the most part probably)

Message 3/30             06-May-02  @  05:49 AM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

damballah

i'd sure rather drag a rack with an akai or emu or yamaha (etc) thingee in it to a gig than some damn computer. also actually playing things and working the mixing board is part of my schtick. if your schtick doesn't include that sorta shit, do whatever makes you feel most creative.

Message 4/30             06-May-02  @  07:13 AM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

influx

dude. how many people actually ever "play out", eh?

dance music is mostly studio stuff. mostly, I say. Of course there are standouts, but..

it just always surprises me about the underlying" but what if I want to play live" theme...when hardly anyone ever actually does it.

Message 5/30             06-May-02  @  08:43 AM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

campati

well i for myself wont do gigs ,thats for sure, i can use a lot of practice first.. thanks for the help i think im going to stick with the hardware cause i am not really a computerfreak...

Message 6/30             06-May-02  @  09:38 AM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

bedwyr

the timing is better with software. try layering a few kicks with midi and see what you get.

Message 7/30             06-May-02  @  10:01 AM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

influx

well...the best combo is..if you dig hardware..use it to make your sounds, and then sequence the audio if you can get a good system up and running.

takes some learning but the benefits are just too numerous to mention.

Message 8/30             06-May-02  @  03:54 PM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

knowa

Link?:  Link

if you're gonna use a computer to sequence, you might as well try a softsamp at first. IMO they're a lot simpler than h/w. I never had a computer in my life until about 2-3 years ago, and it didn't take me long to get comfortable with cubase and battery, though I still ask dumb questions here at times (see synth thread).

honestly, though, since I now have a day job which usually involves sitting on front of a computer all day, I really appreciate h/w in a way that I didn't before. I guess it doesen't bother some people, but I wanna play, not program. even though a computer is most cost-effective, it might be wise to think about how it will fit into your overall lifestyle. either way, it's gonna be mad fun to filter sweep thouse disco samples ;)

Message 9/30             06-May-02  @  07:55 PM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

toast

I still think hardware is a bit more stable than a computer for live usage. Its not that I play live but I dont trust my computer in critical situations. I do trust my hardware. As far as routing a softsampler through a mixer, you just need a soundcard with multiple outputs. You can get more outputs on a computer than you ever could with an output expander for a sampler. Most modern samplers are just computers anyway so there's little difference between hard and soft sonically. There's slight differences between converters but that's one of those endless discusions that are pointless to get into. A few samplers like the kurzweils and the higher end emu's can do some stuff on the synthesis end that their software counterparts cant but that seems to be changing with stuff like kontact coming out. The main advantage of softsamplers to me is the speed. I have almost instant access to my entire sample library within a couple clicks. After years of dicking about with floppies that's like wow!

Message 10/30             07-May-02  @  01:38 AM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

Pongoid

I use an a3000 with a big assed hard drive inside, and I'm so glad when I gig, because I've never ahd that thing crash short of a power failure, and I can't say that for most comps. I'm gigging, so it's different. In the studio, it depends on the situation. For jamming, it's the sampler. If I have the console and tools, it's still the sampler. If the studio's all software, then that's what I'm using. Each situation's different and each demands specific attention to what's going to work best then.

Ape

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)