aaa OS2 - Is that it? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: OS2 - Is that it?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/28             12-May-02  @  06:59 PM   -   OS2 - Is that it?

chris

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Well,

Not wanting to sounds negative but...

Much as I appreciate Novation fixing the bugs - is that really all we get?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we (as promised a long time ago) supposed to be getting all the SN1's features? Doesn't that now include an option to output a part through a single output?

That seems to be at least one feature we're missing (unless I've missed it). Any more anyone's noticed?

I'm afraid I have to say that for a year and a half's supposed work, it's not very impressive guys!

Chris

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/28             12-May-02  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

Kinetik

Link?:  No link

Yes. Guess what - you've missed it.

Have you actually bothered to look properly at the 'read me' PDF file on the Novation site detailing the OS 2.0 NEW features ?

Who said that the new OS ONLY contained bug fixes ? Not me, nor anyone else from Novation as far as I'm aware.

Hint : What do you think the new 'Pan Effects' parameter actually does ?

Message 3/28             12-May-02  @  08:16 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

Elektro

I guess hell have to try and find something else to whinge about now.

No wonder Novation have decided to stop producing further os updates.

The flak probably aint worth it.

Message 4/28             12-May-02  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

chris

Fair cop - you do it by panning.

The PDF just talks about panning the effects - I didn't realise that the mono output mode was done via panning.

OK next one then - doesn't the SN1 have a mode where the knob values are followed absolutely. i.e. what you see is what you get?

Again, might be wrong but I can't find it.

Elektro - you have to realise that I've been complaining about the glide bug for nigh-on a year and a half. The excuse has always been that it's going in with new features in a new OS. A year and a half down the line, if any work was actually being done on the OS - I really thought we'd get a lot more than we've been given. We seem to have been given minimal new features.

That's the gripe - the amount of time they've had to do something really wizzy while making me put up with a really, really stupid bug that they could almost certainly have fixed in 5 minutes. Absolutely no excuses for it IMO.

Sorry if that's a whinge, but I feel justified.

I've stuck by Novation for several years and have had many pieces of kit from them through my hands, but feel I've been badly let down with the SN2.

That's before I even start on the obvious bad build and testing on my unit (mod wheel wired up-side down).

Don't get me wrong, I love the machine and use it heavily (along with my Nord Lead 3, Prophecy, MS2000, Z1, Virus, Triton Rack, Emu e5000 Ultra etc...)- but my experience of Novation support with the SN2 has been terrible.

Chris

Message 5/28             12-May-02  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

gb

Look, shithead... Why don't you at least have a look at what you get - FOR FREE - before you start bitching ?

Message 6/28             12-May-02  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

chris

Read my last post.

My gripe is it's taken a year and a half to get a simple bug fixed - the excuse has basically been "we can't fix that bug yet because we're putting together a new OS with new features"!

That started a year and a half ago. I expected something more than the few extra features we've got given the fob-off I've been getting.

Sorry if my complaint upsets a few people, but I've been pissed off with that bug (and Novation have known about it) for a long time.

BTW - my machine(s) didn't come free, they cost a hell of a lot of money, and basically didn't work as sold - the glide feature didn't work properly 'til now.

Chris

Message 7/28             12-May-02  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

chris

BTW - to make sure it's not just me being bitter, just talked to my 2 next door neighbours (who would you believe both own SN2 keyboards - one a platinum!!!) and a couple of users in live acts I host at my club/partypromotions and they all seem to agree with me.

As one said (paraphrased) "what would you do if you bought a car which had a 5th gear that didn't work half the time?".

It's not been a show-stopper problem, just an annoyance. I've plenty of other kit which has been able to do the glide stuff with no problems, so it's not really affected production in my studio.

Chris

Message 8/28             13-May-02  @  12:21 AM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

Jack

The SNII spec. on Novations site still claims:
"ADAT / SPDIF Digital I/O card can be
fitted to all models".

I sold my 2 Supernovas and got me a SNII Pro X as soon as it shipped for this feature only. Unless I'm totally off here, this option is still not implemented. Now if OS2 is the last planned update; does this mean I've spent my money and 2 years waiting in vain?

J.

Message 9/28             13-May-02  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

Elektro

The absolute value knob thingy is done with the 'knob mode' parameter in the global menu aint it ?

Christ does this guy actually OWN a supernova ?

Praps he cant read manuals.

Message 10/28             13-May-02  @  03:05 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

Romantic Robot

If you think that Novation have spent the last year and a half solid working away at an OS upgrade which will generate no additional income for the company then you've got your head in the clouds mate. Get real !

My guess is that they've probably been developing other products which will actually make money for the company and keep it afloat such as the K Station. If a company goes bust, who's going to produce the precious OS version then ?

Don't forget that these upgrades are FREE. If Novation are to produce further OS versions (which I think is unlikely now), then expect to pay for them big time if you want all the bells & whistle features.

Cant help feeling that Novation want to wash their hands over the whole OS business after all the bitching that went on here a while back.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)