aaa Trance dilemma - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Trance dilemma

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/40             14-May-02  @  09:26 PM   -   Trance dilemma

proximus

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hello..

I have question about trance..

I've always put my snare\clap on the 1. and 3. kick when I make trance.. while everybody uses the 2. and 4. kick.. someone said it sounded weird with clap on 1. and 3. kick.. but is it really wrong to do it? c'mon, it's four on the floor beat.. of course I understand that in other genres it would be wrong.. i.e. start with a snare in a drum n'bass beat..

Is it *legal* to put the snare\clap on the 1. and 3. kick in trance you think? Does it REALLY matter?

Ok, unless if it's mixed a dj mixed.. cos then you'd have a snare\clap on every kick.. that is understandable, but still.. is it such a big problem.. it is 4 on the floor..

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/40             14-May-02  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

gb

Link?:  Link

Uh... Of course it's LEGAL...

To me putting them close to the second and forth beat seems more natural, tho. Perhaps because that's what most people do ?

I'd say that if your stuff sound good, don't worry about it.

Message 3/40             14-May-02  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

well put.

Message 4/40             14-May-02  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

Zink

Link?:  No link

So, what you're saying is:

Which beat for trance?

B'waaarrr!

People always usually put it on the 2 and 4th, but you should experiment with putting it on the 1st and 3rd. Why? When people hear it mixed into another track, they will assume it's 2nd and 4th and, boy will they be surprised when new elements kick-in a beat earlier than they anticipate. Kinda keeps things from going stale - Suprise!

Message 5/40             15-May-02  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

damballah

don't be breakin no rules of trance otherwise how will we know it's trance if it doesn't sound exactly the same as all the other trance.

oh that 1 and 3 thing, we'll let you off this time with a warning.

Message 6/40             15-May-02  @  12:11 AM     Edit: 15-May-02  |  12:16 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

Which beat for trance? yes..

The dj might be scared of your 'radical'.. hehe.. tracks and may not play them.

:-)

Trance is too hung up in rules.. you can't do that and you can't do that.. snarerolls are not nice either, they are standard. I try not to use them.

Trance is like an old fashioned poem with strict rules in what you can do, while there are other kinds of music which is more free to the author to evolve and break minor boundaries. The latter one can be compared to those modern poems only few understand. Unfortunately most people like old fashioned poems..

Message 7/40             15-May-02  @  12:22 AM     Edit: 15-May-02  |  12:23 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

Zink

Most of what people are calling Trance isn't Trance anyway. Back when I were a lad, there was Straight Trance, like Union Jack, Goa Trance Like Tip and Dragonfly stuff and then Eurotrance, which was the Cheesy melodic stuff (Gigi Agostino comes to mind here) and then Acid Trance. This was the early nineties. Then commercial handbaggy House turned into kinda arpeggiated vocal trance and ruined everything.

I think the global underground CD's are modern Trance (I like to think so, anyway) but I guess they are 'Dubby House' or something. Maybe prog house? Whatever, it's all Techno, innit?

Anyway.

What was the question again? Yeah, keep DJ's on their toes. Swapping the 2/4 to 1/3 wouldn't make it any harder to mix anyway.

Message 8/40             15-May-02  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

k

anything goes if it works rhthymicaly, plus there is nuff freestyling drums over trance too.

Message 9/40             15-May-02  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

knowa

Link?:  Link

trance rules!

Message 10/40             15-May-02  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

damballah

it really does

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 40 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)