aaa anyone using SPL Vitalizer ?? - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: anyone using SPL Vitalizer ??

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             01-Jul-02  @  11:59 AM   -   anyone using SPL Vitalizer ??

ken(frequent visitor from US)

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi, there, how are you guys doing ?
I have been looking for some processor to add to my kind of "muddy" mix (Rock, Dance,pop etc) and found that SPL Vitalizer might be good. But it's hard to find one of those here is the US( Went to Guitar Center/Sam Ash but they don't have them)..anyways, is anyone using this thing ? How does it compare with BBE Sonic maximizer?
and please someone in the L.A. tell me where the heck I can get one ???

I would really appreciate your input.

Thanx!!
Ken

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             01-Jul-02  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: anyone using SPL Vitalizer ??

k

those things (and others) will help to some extent to tighten up a mix, but if your mix is VERY muddy then sort out why first perhaps?... possibly over-use of reverb?.. or too much muddy frequencies getting into the rerverb space so that it looses definition - look at filtering OUT lower frequencies from your reverb sounds perhaps? and tightening up the bass, snare & kik or whatever with individual compression on those objects. Vitalisers etc are to put icing on the cake, not to re-bake the cake better.

Message 3/11             01-Jul-02  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: anyone using SPL Vitalizer ??

j-type

Link?:  Link

yeah, what he said.

I've got the tube-enhanced Mk2 Vitalizer, and it really needs a decent mix to work on otherwise the results sound skewed. an obviously muddy mix needs correcting before any mastering, but if you strive for that extra 10% clarity after you've done all you can the Vitalizer can give you that.

Works better on gently compressed mixes too, and after a tip-off I found out that mp3-converted mixes that were Vitalized beforehand sound considerably more natural than a non-treated mix subjected to the same conversion. excellent!

Message 4/11             01-Jul-02  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: anyone using SPL Vitalizer ??

influx

Link?: Link

third that on fixing the mix first

Message 5/11             02-Jul-02  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: anyone using SPL Vitalizer ??

Boo

Link?:  Link

"Vitalisers etc are to put icing on the cake, not to re-bake the cake better"

I like that a lot.

Message 6/11             03-Jul-02  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: anyone using SPL Vitalizer ??

Brett

Link?: Link

there are some tricks I have been experimenting with that help keep presence in the low end without muddying and crounding the track.

1.you send your kick and bass to an aux, then compress the signal with a limiter 10.1 about 10db of reduction and then boost it 10db on the make up. I use the waves RCL. Now boost the best sounding low spot with an eq, and decrease around 800hz. high pass it even. Bring this back in under the other kick and bass and even lower the original kick as well. You should hear it fill in the bottom, and allow more bass presence but push it down out of the way.

2.this works with the higher percusion as well. just group the snare and the hats and due the same to them. use a deesser to soften them.

3.you can use the waves c1 with it set to high frequency reducer to remove extra reverb on things. I use it on loops. It gates the highs and truncates them removing the reverb tails. It can clean things up.

Message 7/11             01-Aug-02  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: anyone using SPL Vitalizer ??

Brett

Where can you buy one. I have been all over and can';t seem to see a on-line dealer. they quote the tube's MSRP at $2860 Euros. any stateside dealers?

Message 8/11             02-Aug-02  @  08:17 AM   -   RE: anyone using SPL Vitalizer ??

GT

i had one for a time

http://www.audiomidi.com

Message 9/11             02-Aug-02  @  10:26 PM   -   RE: anyone using SPL Vitalizer ??

Brett

They don't have the Tube model listed but I am sure they can order it. Thanks

Message 10/11             03-Aug-02  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: anyone using SPL Vitalizer ??

GT

http://novamusik.com/rs_spl.htm

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)