aaa HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/53             25-Jul-02  @  11:06 AM     Edit: 25-Jul-02  |  11:08 AM   -   HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed!

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am having major problems with my ES2. The problem:

Having used the ES2 for 2 days everything was running fine, and it sounded great! Then all of a sudden I load up my PC and Load up logic play a track I have been working on and the ES2 sounds like my kitchen sink garborator! I rebooted Logic and it sounded different but still crap! Now everything that I created with the ES2 sounds like shit! This is only happening with the ES2. Not with the ES1 or EXS24 (Allthough I haven't tried the EVOC). After contacting Emagic they suggested re-installing Logic, which I tried. That didn't work so I have just re-installed my entire OS (as suggested by Emagic support) and that worked for another 2 days then the ES2 reverted to spitting out garbled noise sounds.

I have the recent drivers for all of my hardware and have installed SP2 for Win2K so all is up to date. Everything on my PC runs beautifully except the ES2. I have checked on InfoWeb and various forums but it appears that I am the only person with this problem. Could somebody PLEASE help me? This is an absolute nightmare!

FYI, the other software that I have on the PC is:
Sonitus Plugins (Updated to R3)
Waves Gold Bundle
Win RAR
Sound Forge 4.5
Ohm Force OhmBoyz delay (VST)

My System is as follows:

Win2K Pro (SP2) Dual-Boot;
LAP5.1.3 (via updates from Logic 4.0);
Gigabyte GA-7DXR (AMD 761 north-bridge) BIOS F9;
AMD T-Bird 1.4Ghz 266FSB;
512MB DDR RAM PC2100;
Audiowerk 8 Audio I/F;
MT4 MIDI I/F;
Matrox G550 (Millenium) AGP Card;
21" Dell monitor, 19" Viglen Monitor;
IBM Deskstar 7200rpm ATA100 120GXP 40GB HDD (IDE channel 1);
Fujitsu 7200rpm ATA100 40GB HDD (IDE channel 3 W/ onboard Promise ATA100 Controller);
LG CDRW (IDE channel 2);

Thankyou in advance!

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/53             25-Jul-02  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed!

k

Link?:  Link

the only thing I can think of is after loading ES2 once or twice your OS is loading it's ES2 dll etc componants from cache and that cache is getting corrupted ?? - is your deathstar disk set to low setting for heat thingy? (see PC SECTION FAQ notes on this site for something about deathstar drives & how to set them for reliability

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/53             25-Jul-02  @  05:51 PM   -   RE: HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed!

Steve Roughley

Cheers K! Thanks for your response. I'll give that IBM tool a go.

However, you say that Windows 2000 will start loading the ES2 from Cache. Will it do this when I load the ES2 for the FIRST time after booting up the PC (with what should be a clean cache)? If this is the case, then I think we could be close to finding the source of the problem, as the ES2 sounds like crap ALL THE TIME, even after rebooting. Everytime Windows 2000 loads, I get four error and warning messages in the event list. These are as follows:

##################################################

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Ftdisk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 49
Date: 7/23/2002
Time: 11:16:49 AM
User: N/A
Computer: STEPHEN-E1TXB11
Description:
Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event ID: 32
Date: 7/25/2002
Time: 5:06:56 PM
Description:
The driver detected that the device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has its write cache enabled. Data corruption may occur.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: PerfDisk
Event ID: 2001
Date: 7/23/2002
Time: 11:17:07 AM
Description:
Unable to read the disk performance information from the system. Disk performance counters must be enabled for at least one physical disk or logical volume in order for these counters to appear. Disk performance counters can be enabled by using the Hardware Device Manager property pages. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event ID: 41
Date: 7/25/2002
Time: 5:05:46 PM
Description:
WMI ADAP was unable to create object index 510 for Performance Library Tcpip because no value was found in the 009 subkey

##################################################

Should I have write cache disabled? And could the corrupt page file be responsible for the problems that I am experiencing with the ES2? The one thing that I don't understand though, is why is it only the ES2 that is messing up, and not any of the other Emagic ES synths?

Thank you sooooo much for your help!

Steve.

Message 4/53             25-Jul-02  @  06:23 PM   -   RE: HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed!

k

Link?:  Link

no, even if you power down when re-opening often winders will grab stuff from cache... XP takes that even further I beleive with it's 'improved memory management' which analyses your most usual programme use and pre-empt's your requests for those componements to ram. (some of the ram winders uses to store programme componants of course on-loadup.)

anyways, from the errors above, they all talk about the page file so perhaps delete your pagefile? (you have to do that in DOS mate ater booting off a floppy cos if windows loads then it's already using the pagefile and it cant be deleted. - If you delete it in dos, winders creates a new one on boot (the file is called: Win386.swp and you can see it in your C:\windows dir... just click to order-by-size and you'll see it as the largest file (around 130mb or so) )

If you have TWO drives, try setting the pagefile to the other drive (virtual memory settings in Winders where you select drive and space made available)

Anyways, it's just a stab in the dark/guess, but I'd say it could be your Deathstar drive  

however, i'm just rushing off to a gig so really i'd search/look-up some of those errors on Google.com just to be sure.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/53             25-Jul-02  @  07:11 PM     Edit: 25-Jul-02  |  07:15 PM   -   RE: HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed!

Steve Roughley

OK, the HD is running fine, well within the max heat range and no data corruption detected. I allready thought it wasn't the HD, as I run a dual boot and the non-audio OS isn't suffering from any problems whatsoever. I also tried deleting the pagefile.sys and disabling Write Caching but the errors keep occuring and the pagefile.sys keeps getting corrupted. This got me thinking. Both of my Operating System installations (both are from the same Win2k disk) use the same hardware, but not the same software. So whatever software is running on the audio OS that is not running on the general OS is the culprit! I have the same version of Logic on both OS installations, as well as having installed the Sonitus Plugs on both OS's. Could it be that the Waves Native Gold bundle is corrupting the Pagefile.sys?

Cheers!

Steve.

Message 6/53             25-Jul-02  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed!

bedwyr

Link?: Link

read that article on prorec.com about waves copy protection. you might be better off using the "other" version *cough*. i don't know if it's relevant to your problem though.

steve, did i mail you back the other day?

Message 7/53             25-Jul-02  @  08:03 PM     Edit: 25-Jul-02  |  11:52 PM   -   RE: HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed!

Steve Roughley

Thankfully, I have had no probs at all with the PACE interlock, allthough, if it is capable of writing this malicious data to my disk averytime Waves is used, then this might be the problem! If my copy of Waves is causing the problem, then I have an interesting moral question: As I have payed ALOT of money for the plugins, would it be wrong for me to get hold of the "other" version? Or, more importantly, would I get in trouble?

In regards to the email q beds, what was it regarding? Forgive me, I don't mean to sound rude  

Steve.

Message 8/53             26-Jul-02  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed!

bedwyr

Link?: Link

haha, i just checked again, wrong steve. sorry mate!

all you english sound the same ... *mumble mumble*

;)

Message 9/53             26-Jul-02  @  10:32 AM   -   RE: HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed!

Stvy

Hi,

Weird one with the pagefile, thats one of the reasons I always use 2 hard drives, even if the second is a small cheapo. Just so I can install windows again on the other harddrive and quickly delete the file and fix the problem. You can pick up a 10gig HD for about £20 these days.

Bedwyr - no you didn't mail me back. Although I'll check my inbox again.

Cheers

Stvy

Message 10/53             26-Jul-02  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: HELP!!!!! ES2 is severely screwed!

Stvy

Hi Bebwyr,

Just checked my inbox cheers got your email.

Cheers

Stvy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 53 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)