aaa Virus Low End Good? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

30-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Virus Low End Good?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/55             26-Jul-02  @  10:12 AM   -   Virus Low End Good?

Drop

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have a virus b but nothing to compare it to, hence my question.

I've been reading various stuff on the web about the Virus. People really praise the filters and talk about how good the Virus is for pads and leads.

However, they reckon that the bass making capabilities aren't that great. Apparently the bass patches lack a "certain warmth and low end" cos the Osc are only OK.

To be honest, as I've said, I've nothing to compare it to in depth. However, I can't seem to get that real thick housey bass sound with it. Probably just me though.

I've looked at a Pulse and SH101 and they sound cool. Am I over analysing again? :-)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/55             26-Jul-02  @  10:44 AM     Edit: 26-Jul-02  |  10:45 AM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

Maarten

Link?: Link

The SmoothBass & ResoBass patches (if those are the correct names....) go pretty low, you could try tweaking those further to see where it ends. I have the VirusB and the SH-101 and must say the Virus is not that far off from the SH.
Shortly played around with a Roland System 100 at my mates place- and goddamn, that is serious bass for ya! But at a harsh price.

Message 3/55             26-Jul-02  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

Drop

Yer Maarten, the Reso Bass patch (A45 I think) is the one patch I always use for bass. Just can't seem to get it to sound really thick. I'll keep trying though.

I think maybe I'm guilty of over compressing it. The Virus patches sound pretty compressed anyway so maybe I should using lower ratios.

Also, does anyone use the master tuning function? I know it goes up and down by 64(cents I think)and I've been experimenting.

What do you think of the pulse?

Message 4/55             26-Jul-02  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

99devils

The Virus is bassier than my Nord Lead, and it rocks the Cs1x. I don't have a real analog to compare it to though.

-Craig

Message 5/55             26-Jul-02  @  03:10 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

swanofnever

hm..

i've always found that judicious use of "2nd filter->HP, crank resonance, turn cutoff down" works... sort of a para EQ. but that's kind of cheating...

Message 6/55             26-Jul-02  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

nothingnewhere

if you are just wanting to make bass sounds, try to listen to a pulse in person before you buy anything...

Message 7/55             26-Jul-02  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

Drop

I have but can't decide.

Message 8/55             26-Jul-02  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

knowa

Link?:  Link

I have both a virus and a pulse. I think they both sound great.

the pulse definitely has a typically analog midrange thickness that the virus cannot achieve.

the virus stays cleaner and goes deeper.

I have an old track that has them in call and response basslines and if you email me I will remember to post it this weekend (warning: it's kind of annoying). I think you'll know which is which immediately.

it's a preference thing, though. you can DEFINITELY get lots of good basses from a virus.

playing with my pulse and a friends sh-101 has led me to believe that if it's an analog sound you want, it's an analog synth you should get.

Message 9/55             29-Jul-02  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

Drop

So the general consensus is that the Pulse can make much better basses than my Virus?

Message 10/55             29-Jul-02  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: Virus Low End Good?

99devils

No!!! That's certainly NOT the consensus, not in my book.

Try using 12db filters with low resonance. Try using layering. Try using some of the digital waveforms. Layer in Sines or triangles.

Seriously: If you can't get a great bass out of a Virus, you're not going to get a great bass out of anything. Keep working at it!

-Craig

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 55 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)