aaa Need some serious advice... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Need some serious advice...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/43             09-Aug-02  @  04:15 PM     Edit: 09-Aug-02  |  04:16 PM   -   Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I posted a message earlier asking about a synth for strings and pads. After considering the advice I was given and after some serious thinking I have decided to go for either the Virus C or the SupernovaII Rack, as they can do alot more than strings and pads and I will make a hell of a lot of use out of them.

Now that it is comming to purchasing the synth I would like to know if any one has any advice as to which I should go for. I have tested the synths and found them both to be excellent. But I didn't like the Supernovas effects, and it's percussive sounds seemed a bit weak. The reverb sounds absolutely terrible. Nor did I like the Virus interface, in particular the way that you have to use the menu to access the third oscilator (ironic from a company called access) but the virus did sound bloody fantastic. The thing is, I only got about an hour to try them out so I have booked two hours with the shop to give them a good workout. Does any one have anything to tell me about either synth? Particularly, anything that I should look out for when testing them? Do either have any limitations that the other covers? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/43             09-Aug-02  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

milan

Link?: Link

aw come ON! they will both suit you perfectly well, and neither one of them does "real" strings. and with virus C you have full access to the 3rd osci. supernova allegedly sounds "softer" but thats as far as it goes. do the eenie-miny-moe if you cant decide.

Message 3/43             09-Aug-02  @  04:55 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

99devils

The Virus has sampled waveforms available for each of the main oscillators, the Nova doesn't have that. They're useful for all sorts of stuff from hard leads to PPG-type pads. The virus also has two independent filters.. The Supernova seems to have some "split filter types", but I assume they're like the Nord 3 in that they aren't independant.

On the other hand, when I played with the Nova, I thought it would make a great pad synth. It has a warm, squishy soft sound to the pads, while the virus is harder and more in-your-face sounding.

Good luck!

-Craig
-Craig

Message 4/43             09-Aug-02  @  05:09 PM     Edit: 09-Aug-02  |  05:11 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Cheers for your advice fellas! The thing is Milan, I am a student and £1000 is ALOT of money for me to spend. I want to make sure that I get this absolutely right! After spending that kind of money, it is fair to want to be completely satisfied.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 5/43             09-Aug-02  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

milan

ah... i understand you perfectly  

but i still think that both are going to suit you very well! just go ahead with it, i dont think you could possibly regret either synth!

Message 6/43             09-Aug-02  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

99devils

I'd agree with Milan. My Virus has certainly never let me down.

-Craig

Message 7/43             09-Aug-02  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Maarten

Besides, the Virus has at least two freely assignable knobs... I only use one for portamento but I think you should be able to assign two parameters for the 3rd osc, no? Can someone confirm? I've never fiddled with a nova though...

-M-

Message 8/43             09-Aug-02  @  08:45 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

the knowa

before you get distracted by all the dope sounds both of these will certainly make, try think of what you KNOW that YOU want/need--e.g. a flexible arppegiator--and see which one you like better for the puropses you've already chose. and relax b/c either way you end up with a dope synth.

Message 9/43             09-Aug-02  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

k

Link?:  Link

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!... you're a student and you've got a grand to spend on a synth!!!!!!!!!!! - something fucking wrong there.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/43             09-Aug-02  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Mindspawn

Doing the two hour "testing" should sort you out. They're both tasty synths with lots of potential for pads and such. You hear both of 'em on a lot of trax, so I dunna think you can really go wrong. Still, if you ever run across a Juno or Prophet (sometimes below $300 US) you can do some seriously tasty pads with those, too. However, those will not cover the bases, not even close, to what can be done programming-wise for sound on the VAs.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)