aaa Kick & Snares mono compression... - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Kick & Snares mono compression...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             11-Aug-02  @  03:18 AM   -   Kick & Snares mono compression...

JJ Freqy

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I have my kick drum stereo compressed and my snares aren't. I was wondering if it would be good for me to split the compressor and compress the kick on L channel mono and compress the snare R channel mono. Should my kicks and snares be stereo or would it matter? when I record it to Cool Edit it turns it to stereo anyways, so...

Thank you

J

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             11-Aug-02  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: Kick & Snares mono compression...

JJ Freqy

I forgot to add:

I also have another compressor compressing my basslines stereo. Should I keep the kick drum compressed stereo and split the bassline and the snares on the other compressor?

Message 3/11             11-Aug-02  @  04:59 AM   -   RE: Kick & Snares mono compression...

damballah

Link?: Link

huh? so how are you mixing then? all these sound sources are by nature mono, they don't need to be recorded stereo or compressed stereo.

Message 4/11             11-Aug-02  @  09:06 AM   -   RE: Kick & Snares mono compression...

horizens

Link?:  No link

your files can be stereo. kiks, snares,
whatever. as long as they are not panned then
they are fine.

Message 5/11             11-Aug-02  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: Kick & Snares mono compression...

influx

dude. WHAT?!?!?

Message 6/11             11-Aug-02  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: Kick & Snares mono compression...

JJFreqy

Okay, I apologize if I my explanation was a bit confusing... let me try again 

Let's cut to the chase---> Should any of my drums be MONO on my mixing board or STEREO? I'd rather run most of my stuff MONO (to save space). I don't really pan my drums until I throw them into Cool Edit anyways so running all my drums, cymbals, and samples mono should be fine, right?
I hope this is better!

J

Message 7/11             11-Aug-02  @  05:44 PM   -   RE: Kick & Snares mono compression...

damballah

yes, most drums should be mono *, panned into position during the mix.

* when recording an actual kit using a minimal miking setup, there'll many times be stereo overhead tracks or stereo room tracks. when making drum tracks from samples this isn't a concern.

Message 8/11             11-Aug-02  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: Kick & Snares mono compression...

influx

drums are mono

Message 9/11             12-Aug-02  @  02:15 PM   -   RE: Kick & Snares mono compression...

beds

our old friend timbaland (amongst others) does that no reverb on the snare then stereo reverb on the snare and i'm sure he's using samples coz the reverb cuts at different lengths.

so i'd say it depends on what sound you want, having a stereo snare or clap can make you're drums sound bigger/wider.

Message 10/11             16-Aug-02  @  03:11 PM   -   RE: Kick & Snares mono compression...

Def Z

These are good guidelines, but don't be afraid to break the rules now and again, either...

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)