aaa The best way to route the signal... - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: The best way to route the signal...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/31             15-Aug-02  @  12:29 AM   -   The best way to route the signal...

JJ Freqy

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I have a very simple question about my studio setup. I have my synths, drum machine, sampler, and guitar all running into my mixer and then to my soundcard IN. The soundcard OUT connects to monitors. I did it this way so I could hear exactly what the computer is recording into the software (Cool Edit Pro 2).

Does this sound like a good way to have my studio setup? If not why and what should I do to get the best sound out of my studio as far as monitoring goes? I appreciate all the help!  

J

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/31             15-Aug-02  @  08:54 AM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

influx

Link?: Link

sounds like a plan to me!

OR..does your mixer have a 2 track in? you could send the soundcard outs to that then...

that way you have a knob for output control. How are you controlling the monitor level right now?

Message 3/31             15-Aug-02  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

99devils

Careful with that though.. If you run the master outs on the mixer to sound card in, and bring the sound card out back into the mixer you'll have feedback.

-Craig

Message 4/31             15-Aug-02  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

Normal

Link?:  No link

Does your mixer have an extra pair of outputs? Mine has ones called alt3-4. I do what you do, except send the outputs from the soundcard back to a pair of mixer ins routed to the alt3-4 outs of the mixer, which then go to the amp. You do have to be careful, cause you will get feedback if the soundcard signal isn't sent to the alt outputs. It's nice tho, as i can use the mixer to control monitoring level. Nothing wrong with what you're doing tho.

Al

Message 5/31             15-Aug-02  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

psylichon

Noraml -

an even better way to handle your setup would be to run the alt 3/4 outputs of your mixer to the INputs of your soundcard. Then run your soundcard outputs to 2 channels on your mixer (or 2-track tape return or aux return... whatever). Then just route the main outs (or control room outs if you have em) to your amp. That way, if you want to record something, hit the "alt 3/4" button on that channel, lifting it from the main outputs, and running it to your soundcard via outputs 3/4. Then you'd hear that sound through your soundcard's monitoring setup, and fed back to your mixer via the soundcards outs. Make sense? It's a classic split console setup.

I have the first Mackie 1202 mixer... I'd kill for those alt 3/4 outs... very useful. As it is, I use a patchbay to get my synths into the computer.

psylichon

Message 6/31             15-Aug-02  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

influx

no..see craig...I said if he had a 2 track monitoring return..you dont get feedback through that because it doesnt go to the mains, only the control room out

all this having no idea what sort of mixer

Message 7/31             15-Aug-02  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

99devils

That's probably where you and I are both getting confused..

So, umm, what kind of mixer is this?  

Message 8/31             15-Aug-02  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

nomad

it's kind of nice to have the monitors post-soundcard so you can see what the A/D is doing to it.

i am not sure there is really much of a difference but i have just about convinced myself that i can hear one  

(mine set up the same way... by necessity...no tape I/O... though i have thought about putting the computer in the master insert loop... same idea, just no switching... and then i get a real fader for master... but the cabling is pretty weird so i haven't bothered yet...)

Message 9/31             15-Aug-02  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

swanofnever

Link?:  No link

my cheap behringer's got "2-track send + rtn"...

Message 10/31             15-Aug-02  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

psylichon

same idea as the alt 3/4, swan

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)