aaa sub mixes - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: sub mixes

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/27             22-Sep-02  @  11:34 AM   -   sub mixes

Brett

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

been mixing tracks for a while and just realized how important it is to mix your groups well. by putting my drum groups through a timeworks compressor x I was able to get the over all balance i have been looking for for ever. I individually compressed the drum tracks as needed but also run them through a soft compressor with a limiter and this solved the problems I have always had from using a 2 bus compressor and limiter where the kick got out of hand when everything else dropped out. it allowed me to have the kick stay constant and present throughout the track even when compressing and limiting the two bus. guys , your plug-ins matter. All I can say is, get your drum mix working this way, then bring the bass and all the others in after the fact and it should be solid. I had always left my bass drum out of my drum group because of pumping, but the timeworks compressor x does a great job of solidifying the drums overall in the track for everything else to fall into place when running a two bus compressor. I am sure many of you know this, but thought it was important to mention if you want a slamming kick and a heavy bass as well.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/27             23-Sep-02  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

formant

Link?:  Link

i agree...

another fun way to do the submix is to put your kick and bass on one submix and let them pump

jamey

Message 3/27             23-Sep-02  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

Drop

Brett, do you compress your kick individually and THEN route it to your drum sub mix?

Message 4/27             23-Sep-02  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

formant

Link?:  Link

wouldn't it just depend on the song and the kick used?

if you are using a kick of vinyl its been compressed like 10 times by the time you use it :-)

jamey

Message 5/27             24-Sep-02  @  08:44 AM   -   RE: sub mixes

brett

yes i usually compress the kick individually as well. i had always grouped the bass and kick , but leaving it in the drum group and using a 2:1 with a peak limiter on on the compx works great. the soft compressor makes the kick warm and solid in the mix.

i just think getting all the parts you want to gel together into their own group is what makes the ballance easier. then compress that group before going to the stereo bus comp as needed. the timeworks compressor is great on the drum mix. it really warmed it up and took the bite off the kick and made it all warm and gel together when using the soft setting. much better than the waves stuff or any other plug i've used.

Message 6/27             24-Sep-02  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: sub mixes

psylichon

Link?: Link

Speaking as a professional engineer, I would warn against building up a personal "template" for mixing. While it may save time, it will only lead to frustration when you get tired of your sound. Each mix tells you how it wants to be mixed, and you have to listen to it. Unless you use the same sounds all the time, of course, then whatever.

When I mention the professional thing, it's not to blow my own horn, but to let you know that I've worked with many successful engineers greater than I and the best don't come to the table with any preset ideas. Just an idea.

psylichon

Message 7/27             24-Sep-02  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: sub mixes

Drop

Pyslichon, I'm only an assistant engineer but I have to disagree with you. I think its important to have an individual "sound" not only in the actual music but also in the mix process.

I've assisted tons of pro engineers and there is a common thread in alot of techniques. Especially drum compression.

Just my personal opinion.

Message 8/27             24-Sep-02  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: sub mixes

k

but both opinions are right.... on the one hand we have techniques you *can* use and it's good to be familiar with those 'templates' so to speak... on the other hand you have, the appropriateness of using those techniques in any given session across various genre's from rock to dance.

Message 9/27             24-Sep-02  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

psylichon

Link?: Link

It definitely depends on the session. I know clients who pick an engineer _because_ he moves quick and works from templates. But if you're working on your own thing, trying to be original, I would still say it's best to have a bag of tricks you can go into as needed for the situation.

Of course, if you're trying to mix a whole album and you're going for a homogenous sound then, well, yeah, you know...

psylichon

Message 10/27             25-Sep-02  @  01:01 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

k

well you gotta think about it, you can compress a whole kit in stereo and find the hats even do odd things... I like to use a multiband compressor on a whole kit if i'm working fast in stereo only & want drums more pumping, but would apply seperate compression on a multi-channel kit where required.

Actualy this'd make a good article.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)