aaa my mixer beats up yer mixer - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: my mixer beats up yer mixer

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17             01-Nov-02  @  01:29 PM   -   my mixer beats up yer mixer

Formant

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

ok had this mixer for a while now and never sat down to learn it (been busy)

so i get this kit off ebay, its a digital mixer (roland vm3100pro), soundcard (maudio makes it) and cable....

so this thing is simply phenomenal.

i previously had an O1v with adat and this little guy fully replaces it and then some.

first off i dunno if its because its 24 bit or if its just the roland a/d d/a sounds good to me but the sound is much better than the o1v was.

its also got two efx units that blow the roof off of the various alesis and yamaha efx units i have had over the years. the reverb is as nice as any of the high end plugins.

i also have 8 ins and 8 outs from the mixer to the computer. since i am a reaktor and sonar user this is great.... for instance i can run any outboard gear into the reaktor efx and process it and record etc or i can run reaktor through the verbs etc on the desk. in addition these 8 tracks are 24 bit unlike adat etc which are 16 (dunno if it makes a difference but it does sound great)

there are only 12 inputs on the desk which is fine for my small studio (nord + rs7000) the advantage of playing reaktor out 4 outputs (think 4 synths :-) with the nord and the rs is just great.

last night i finally got around to playing iwth the routing on this thing. its very flexible.

basically its 8 busses plus the 8 ins and outs to the computer.

so i can record 8 different sources into sonar at the same time, each to their own track. very nice stuff.

i can also cue stuff up in the headphones so i can use it as a dj mixer easily as well (i also dj)

it has 32 scene memories for volues, efx, eq, etc (oh yah 3 band eq every channel and a compressor you can stick to a channel or a bus or the master) as well as what they call "ez route" or something. this allows me to have different routing configs (32) at the push of a button. so when i am doing vocal recording its different routing than when i record which is different from djing which may be different from a live set up etc.... very fast.

anyway for a $500 ebay purchase, i am very satisfied with this tiny little mixer.

jamey

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             01-Nov-02  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: my mixer beats up yer mixer

Mr Bash

Link?:  No link

What, you think that your glassy sounding digital mixer beats my warm analogue mixer which can do true harmonic distortion? Ha, ha, ha you semi-pro.

Message 3/17             01-Nov-02  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: my mixer beats up yer mixer

formant

Link?:  Link

the title was tongue in cheek of course... i save stuff like harmonic distortion for reaktor :-)

jamey

Message 4/17             01-Nov-02  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: my mixer beats up yer mixer

Mr Bash

Link?:  No link

What, digital harmonic distortion?

Message 5/17             01-Nov-02  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: my mixer beats up yer mixer

formant

you can emulate anything  

Message 6/17             01-Nov-02  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: my mixer beats up yer mixer

Pongoid

heh, you think so?

Ape

Message 7/17             02-Nov-02  @  02:39 AM   -   RE: my mixer beats up yer mixer

formant

should be pretty easy to do something like this: http://members.aol.com/sbench102/thd.html

does harmonic distortion sound good in some cases or something?

ape you should take a look inside some of the filter emulations these guys come up with inside reaktor. i know its not gonna sound dead on but man they can get close. distortion feedback loops and all kinds of wierdness inside.

but back to my point, its a killer little mixer for not a lot of dough for anyone looking at the digital angle.

jamey

Message 8/17             02-Nov-02  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: my mixer beats up yer mixer

milan

yeah.... you know, i passed up on that little Roland few years back in favour of a Promix with more channels, more eq, more everything (except outputs) because h/w mixing was still a viable soultion.

and now that i am looking for a little 8 i/o solution to get sound into my pc and out, that box doesnt look bad at all. thanks for reminding me its out there.

bw, do you know any place where i can find a pdf manual for it? i lookd everywhere and only thing i can find is the little brochure which doesnt tell me everything iŽd like to know, like can i use main out for monitoring while using spdif out for recording, and keeping volume on those outputs independent? is that where the ez-routing comes in?

cheers, m.

Message 9/17             04-Nov-02  @  12:51 PM   -   RE: my mixer beats up yer mixer

formant

you can monitor other things besides the main outs..

as for the spdif you can tell something to go out that way instead of some other way.

its really like some huge matrix thingy. just point stuff where it should go out etc.

i think it will do what you want but don't have any spdif gear to test it.

the manuals areexcellent for everything except the easy routing. there are some supplemental fax backs you can get that are the most informative of all. i recommend those. no pdfs that i know of though.

jamey

Message 10/17             04-Nov-02  @  01:09 PM   -   RE: my mixer beats up yer mixer

milan

cheers, i found out what i wanted.

now if i could only get rid of the promix and esi for decent cash  

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)