aaa death and taxes - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: death and taxes

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             12-Nov-02  @  11:00 AM   -   death and taxes

cheddar

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I was chatting with a German Doctor about smoking outside a conference a few years back (both of us were outside having a puff), anyway,

We talked about prices and heavy taxes and I said apart from punitive taxation, it's fair enough because of the extra cost of healthcare for smokers. He corrected me. He said that Germany was thinking of bringing in heavy taxation as a way to offset health costs and they performed a study to justify it.

The results were major. They found that most smokers died within 2 years of there first major episode (heart attack/stroke/cancer) whereas non smokers tended to live 10 years and have more /other episodes. Since the most expensive aspect of (general) healthcare is the treatment (normally ongoing) during/following major episodes, non smokers cost the country more than the smokers who tend to shuffle off without longer term/multiple episode treatment being required. The result, Germany did not increase the tax on cigarettes.

So, since insurers will hit you hard if you say "entertainment" as your profession do we think that the gov should rebate/reduce tax for entertainers since they are much more likely to saving the coffers as they bend their bodies toward early graves

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             12-Nov-02  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: death and taxes

xoxos

Link?: Link

i had a big problem with this on acid once. i'd swear that was right, but the humans i was with (say that 10 x fast) insisted it was taxes and "debt"

Message 3/16             12-Nov-02  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: death and taxes

cheddar

I was trying to be tactful.

Who is rockin in the face of death here, I like to think I do the stuff you shouldn't, coffee an cream, fried bereakfasts, smoking 20+ whatevers/day, drinking till the pizza talks back, being proud of sessions to put the youth under the table.

not that I'm proud but if your exhibiting a vested interest in prolonginh your experience here at the cost of staying away from this or that then this is significant. Works against the moment you see. An I love the moment

Or are y

Message 4/16             12-Nov-02  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: death and taxes

d

Link?:  No link

"or are y" what? on acid?

Message 5/16             12-Nov-02  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: death and taxes

xoxos

Link?: Link

you eat nasty crap automation food smokes and drink and no proper good drugs and you think you know the moment?? :p check the seam on that moment for a levis tag dood.

Message 6/16             12-Nov-02  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: death and taxes

errata

a levi's moment is still a moment. Just be careful it's not a moment that's been provided to mask the true nature of the moment!

Acid can mask the moment with a deviously planted ego moment as well... chewing up 100's of little paper bits does not place one in the moment. It just makes one aware that they are not normaly in the moment, and desirous of being there. Which leads to a whole slough of other problems that prevent you're being i the moment.

Hold on a moment

e

Message 7/16             12-Nov-02  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: death and taxes

Zazza

western people live too long as it is...

should spend all that health care money on food

Message 8/16             13-Nov-02  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: death and taxes

Steve Roughley

Would people get tax exemptions on smokes and alcohol if they are paying for private health care???

Regards.

Steve.

Message 9/16             13-Nov-02  @  02:38 AM   -   RE: death and taxes

Zazza

in your dreams they would...

Message 10/16             13-Nov-02  @  08:31 AM   -   RE: death and taxes

cheddar

punitive tax is fine with me - I agree with taxin in the UK ($6 /pack) but I also enjoy paying $1 here

Health care breaks - well if re-insurers and accountants run the world then yes. OK other people smoke my smoke but thet should multiply my break.

Moments - I must admit to using some level of mind alteration to enjoy more and I am sure that this is not strictly neccessary (never had the gumption or religous softness to go monastery), and the number of 'spiritually' wonderous straight times can be counted on the fingers of 1 hand.

Still early days but the question remains, do you save today to spend tomorrow?

bran anyone?

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)