aaa Sonar 2 - things i DO like - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/18             08-Dec-02  @  12:44 AM   -   Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

chuckle - can't be too hard on cake ... even IF they did add a quote to their product package from ... wait for it.. mp-bloody-3.com' - shee's who proundlu wrote one small page of euphamisms and called it a review...

lol

ok... some good thinsg being discovered

I really like the speed to setup a loop-mode - just drag across the top the required bars like Logic and hit the button to set start/end markers - nice!

and it's nice quick stuff liek that which get's me narked abouit other NOT fast stuff in the other thread... such small imperfections holding it back seems nuts

anyways... more to come no doubt - i think i already praised the ability/proceadure to edit multiple midi clips in the same edit window to see relative positions... that's nice when laying bass ideas to a drum pattern for example and now (wether this was in sonar 1 I dont remember) you can show piano/drum/velocity views all in the one piano-roll editor... but, if you cant isolate velocities on the same beat then .... wait!.. thats the other thread... see what i mea abot slight incongruities between excellent design and strange ommisions ?

The stability is great!... ok one track with battery in crashes on load.. that might be battery - but while working it feels REALLY robust and 'snappy' & haven't had any in-working crashes or errors at all.

the included compressor and eq from Timeworks look excellent!! - i didnt get time to play with them too much but the comp' can pump that's for sure if pushed... The eq looks nice too and has some nice acoustic guitar presets.

of course, whatever anyone says, i noticed too that typical CAKEWALK AUDIO SOUND... i dunno why, it just sounds.... um... God it's so hard to desxcribe... it always sounds to me like the difference between a digital recording, and a digital recording that's got some characteristic somehow of a top-end 30ips tape machine... it's WEIRD! --- other people unpromted have said the same about cake's audio sound, that it is more full somehow... immeadiately I pushed the INPUT MONITOR for the sound-rack and heard the guitar it was a good clean full level, and the LONG PROPER meters on the arrangepage offering quality metering as you'd expect on a good meter bridge or quality digital hard disk unit or mixer etc really add's to the whole confidence where audio is concerned - I can't wait to try it with fast WDM drivers which HOPEFULLY will be very good because at the trade show i saw them and actualy played some dxi's via a hoontech dsp24/96 VALUE!!!!!... but that was in win2k - fingers crossed for the same in XP which i have to install when i get the new disk for it

anyways.. loverly audio sound... gorgeous! - and with a superb quality eq and compressor thrown in you're laughing frankly for all your audio if you've a decent pre-amp to hand for your mic.

The metronome/clock - SOLID - and that's all you can say... it is VERY solid indeed, almost hardware sequencer-like.

anyways... some good points, more to discover no doubt.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             08-Dec-02  @  12:59 AM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

Def Z

Link?:  No link

Discover the instruments and studioware panels. :-) More to like.

Message 3/18             08-Dec-02  @  01:00 AM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

hey add your own 'likes' if you like - any tips/likes?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/18             08-Dec-02  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

psylichon

Link?: Link

I just love a "move by" grid option. It seems so simple, but even PT doesn't do this (only "move to"). How often is your loop EXACTLY on the downbeat? Well, maybe quite often for our music, but for real live musicians it sucks to edit without a "move by." So simple.

Editing in general is the fastest of any DAW I've used, even Pro-Tools. The Slip editing, fades, and crossfades are so fast and intuitive, without the need to switch tools. Incredible. I love really nit-pick-cleaning up a vocal track in no time as the client watches. It just goes so fast with such good clean results, they eat it up.

Rewire is solid. Very useful with Reason.

And you're right. Something about the audio is very analog. It's easier for me to get a good mix going in Sonar than in Pro Tools. Levels seem to work themselves out sometimes!

You couldn't pry Sonar from my cold dead computer.

psy

Message 5/18             08-Dec-02  @  01:27 AM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

Mindspawn

The bit about the Sonar/Cake sound - agreed in a big way. I actually noticed this most about a year or so back. I had someone bring me an ACID 3.0 file they wanted me to mixdown. I don't have any issues with Acid, but I prefer to work in Sonar, just cos that's what I'm used to. So, I did a bunch of submixes to load into Sonar for final mixing. As soon as we started laying the bits out in Sonar, there was an immediate difference in clarity. Everything just sounded a wee bit tighter, less muddy, and less "digital". There just seems to be more dynamic to the sound. I have no idea what the reason is for this, but the "mixing code" for Sonar is damn peachy, IMO.

Message 6/18             09-Dec-02  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

yes! that's it exactly: - less "digital" - that's how it is with their sound but I dunno how they get it. Zazza jhere is a cake user and last year he bought VST5 and when I asked him how he liked it he said the audio on VST sounded less clear and dynamic somehow... alot of people make that audio clarity observation about cake when comparing it.

Message 7/18             10-Dec-02  @  07:18 AM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

psylichon

alright, well now that I we know Cakewalk dudes are around, I'm curious. Can one of you guys verify our suspicions about the mix engine? Is it strictly "by the numbers" or is there some sort of smoothing/warming algorithm? Too many of us have noticed for it to be a coincidence.

psy

Message 8/18             10-Dec-02  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

what do you mean 'mix engine'

yeah I can imagine with a control surface SONAR would be blistering - gonna try it with REWIRE'd REASON soon (yummy!!)

anyone else have issues with the display-panel for BATTERY in SONAR ? - mine always opens with only 1/3rd of BATTERY showing and you have to drag it open wider each time... not just the dx-fx panel, but then also the actual BATTERY app' too so you can see the whole screen.

Message 9/18             10-Dec-02  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

k

it's probably BATTERY cos KONTAKT & FM7 both open fine

Message 10/18             10-Dec-02  @  01:52 PM   -   RE: Sonar 2 - things i DO like

formant

my battery dxi opens fine in sonar 1 & 2...

perhaps its not that the sonar engine does anything to the audio (the maths are normal) but the cubase engine does (and it sounds bad)

jamey

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)