aaa New synth- virus, waldorf, nord... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19             11-Dec-02  @  07:41 PM   -   New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

Looking

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm thinking about selling my novation SN2 and I was open to any suggestions on what new synth to get. I produce electronic music a la prodigy, upbeat-portishead, cheimcal bros, crystal method type BBs.

I was looking at the Virus C, but I'm not usre if the company is so stable and I've had a problem with some companies (Quasimidi) not being so good. Any help is appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             11-Dec-02  @  09:08 PM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

99devils

Link?: Link

Well, Access' 6 month waiting list should give you some idea how viable the company is  

They've released like 8 products in 4 or 5 years.

I trust 'em. And I can't say enough good stuff about my Virus.. But I'm curious... What is it about the SN that makes you want to switch? What don't you like?

-Craig

Message 3/19             13-Dec-02  @  12:22 PM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

DjMik

Yeah, I'll buy your SN2!  

Message 4/19             13-Dec-02  @  07:06 PM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

proximus

yeah, I'll buy it too :D

Message 5/19             13-Dec-02  @  10:53 PM     Edit: 13-Dec-02  |  10:59 PM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

Steve Roughley

Look. Just get a damned Virus C. That's what I wish someone had told me at first. I was in a similar situation, and was tempted towards the Supernova II. But several fellow producers have already purchased the SNII and warned me off of it, recommending the Virus C instead. When I tested the SNII I was a little put-off by the whole thing. It wasn't at all what I was expecting (I felt that the reverb, for one, sounded absolutely terrible and there is only one filter!), so I bought the Virus C. I have not been disappointed! It would do you extremely well. Especially in creating the sounds featured by the producers/acts that you have mentioned.

And the company is extremely stable. As 99Devils stated, they have a back-log of orders (although it was only 3 months waiting for me, about the same amount of time ago, and I ended up getting my Virus within a week anyway), which doesn't happen to failing companies.

Anywho, I hope I've convinced you!

Just by a damned Virus C! It really is that simple  

Steve.

Message 6/19             13-Dec-02  @  11:07 PM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

Maarten

Link?:  Link

Yep, what Steve said + you can't compare Quasimidi with Access, nope.

Message 7/19             14-Dec-02  @  05:25 AM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

Rikard

But... remember that Virus B/C only has one global delay/reverb.. thats right u dont even get both delay reverb. Thats why i stick with my nova..
Nova sounds thin and a bit boring, but it has a great interface, and much fx on every part.
Maybe i'll buy a virus if they put in both delay and reverb in a future os.

Ive playd a bit with Virus B, and i gotto say that the interface is really slow compared to nova. But how would you C owners describe the interface of C? I know alot of guys who actually think C has even worse interface than B, is that true ?

Message 8/19             14-Dec-02  @  05:37 AM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

psylichon

I think the Nova is more like a real analog synth. Not hyped, but really great when programmed correctly. And the SN2 does have dual filters (as well as the original S/Nova with OS4) which sound great.

I'm sure the Virus C is a badass and easier to get good sounds out of, but you can do whatever you want with the Nova series if you know what you're doing.

Just had to give respect.

psy

Message 9/19             14-Dec-02  @  12:00 PM     Edit: 14-Dec-02  |  12:06 PM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

Steve Roughley

Where's the second filter psy? I couldn't access it when I was trying it out.

The Virus C can be a bit of a pain (but only really when getting used to it) due to it's menus etc, but I find that when I am programming complicated sounds the interface design really starts to shine through. It's mod matrix is just brilliant. And you can do whatever you want with the Virus as well, although its pads don't seem as lush as the pads created by some of the Novation range.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 10/19             14-Dec-02  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: New synth- virus, waldorf, nord...

psylichon

well on the Nova, you got a choice of low, band, high, or special buttons under the filter section. Under the special menu you get the option of several serial and parallel LPF, HPF, BPF, and notch filters with varying width, and the resonance mod now controls width. They sound really great.

psy

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)