aaa Christmas gift ;-) - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Christmas gift ;-)

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             26-Dec-02  @  11:28 AM     Edit: 26-Dec-02  |  11:29 AM   -   Christmas gift ;-)

Ragnarök

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I made this small VSTi a while ago, enjoy and Happy Holidays!  

late X-MAS gift

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             26-Dec-02  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: Christmas gift ;-)

milan

wott, no description of any kind??? nice of you, but i aint installing any .dll untill i know its not gonna make my ES2 look like on that picture!  

Message 3/13             26-Dec-02  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: Christmas gift ;-)

Ragnarök

LOL  

Nope, it's just a basic synth with a phase mod. oscillator, plus some controls to mix between two signal shapers, and a filter. Phase modulation can be controlled by lfo, velocity and an adsr envelope generator and there is a knob to add a little delay between the left and right channels, to make it sound spacious.

And of course it could generate some "lethal frequencies" if you play it loud enough and twist the knobs in an unapropriate way...  

Message 4/13             26-Dec-02  @  05:08 PM   -   RE: Christmas gift ;-)

milan

oh cool. might be just what i wanted for x-mas after all!   will let you know how i get on with it!

cheers, m.

Message 5/13             26-Dec-02  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Christmas gift ;-)

k

Link?:  Link

cheers Ragnarök !! - and Merry Christmas!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/13             28-Dec-02  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: Christmas gift ;-)

milan

hey Ragnarok, i just installed your synth! very nice design, clear and and easy to see whats what. unfortunately, i know nothing about using phase mod. or shapers. can you throw in a short explanation or point me towards a document which deal with these things? i might just have a use for it.

Message 7/13             30-Dec-02  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: Christmas gift ;-)

Ragnarök

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Hi Milan,

Damn. I checked it again and it seems that what I used was called phase distortion synthesis, not phase modulation synthesis, sorry...

Anyway, some detailed information about phase distortion oscillators:

http://www.bluebear.org.uk/studio/cz101/cz_pd.html1

To my understanding the Phase Dist Osc mixes together 2 preselected waveforms (Wave 1 and Wave2) and morphs between the result and a pure sine wave according to the "Modulation Depth" parameter. (Which can be controlled by LFO and/or Envelope and/or Velocity in Harvester).

The wave shaper distorts the signal by a transfer function which is defined graphically. For a certain input level on the horizontal axis there is one certain output level on the vertical axis.
Acts like a table which tells for each input level, what is the output level.

(I tried to illustrate how it works on the picture with a setting that produce basic clipping distortion)

Message 8/13             09-Jan-03  @  11:56 AM   -   RE: Christmas gift ;-)

BJT

Link?:  No link

Dude, that ain't phase distortion?
Distorting the phase of a sine wave so it becomes a square wave....would be difficut...I think your thinking about harmonic distortion?

Distorting the phase of a signal doesn't change the sound much, especially if it is above 500Hz. I do reckon it does make a difference in the bass tho'.

If you distort the phase then mix it back into the original signal it becomes a filter system.

Message 9/13             09-Jan-03  @  12:34 PM     Edit: 09-Jan-03  |  12:38 PM   -   RE: Christmas gift ;-)

Ragnar0k

I'm not expert of these areas, but what I understood from the stuff on that link is that the sine wave's phase is being distorted in a periodic way. So a "normal" sine is generated like this:

U(t) = Umax * SIN( alpha(t) ) where alpha increases in a linear way as time (t) goes.

My understanding is that if we modulate the alpha parameter then we can generate different waveforms with the same SIN function.

For example:
U(t) = Umax * SIN ( f(t) )

where f(t):

1 if alpha(t) < PI/2 + n*2PI

0 if alpha(t) > 3*PI/2 + n*2PI

n = 0,1,2,3.....

This should generate a square, but I haven't been into mathematics since... ehh, somehow I have the feeling that I wouldn't pass a math exam any more  

Message 10/13             09-Jan-03  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: Christmas gift ;-)

Ragnar0k

not even an english exam  

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)