aaa Sherman FilterBank, worth it? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/27             09-Jan-03  @  02:20 PM   -   Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

im trying to get some decent sounds outta my drum machine but as of right now they all sound a bit too routine. i mean ive come up with one or two sounds that i like a lot but im finding it hard to be original and expressive with just a sampler and drum machine... ive read up a bit on the sherman fb and my question is would it be a good tool to input my drum machine into and tweek the hell outta the sounds or am i better off just buying a 100 dollar cd with a buncha different drum sounds on it?

-justin

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/27             09-Jan-03  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

99devils

Link?: Link

Ve creative with your samples. Mike yourself kicking a box. Or snapping your finger against a piece of paper. Or pressing a hot soldering iron against a wet sponge..

Samplers are only as good as the stuff you feed them

-Craig

Message 3/27             09-Jan-03  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

" Or pressing a hot soldering iron against a wet sponge.. "

i have to admit... that is pretty original.

but its not what i was asking.

i need drums.. lots of drums. i need to tweek them and ruin them and kill them and stretch them. all that. im wondering if the sherman fb would be a good idea or maybe a hardware compressor (much cheaper than the fb) for making my drum machine a lil bit more crazy. cuz right now all, in so many words, the drum sounds are BORING. ya know? i need something to put an edge on the otherwise blase drums.

Message 4/27             09-Jan-03  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

i have a fb for sale if you are interested.

digital_rust@mindspring.com

Message 5/27             09-Jan-03  @  07:56 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

errata

We do go around about this quite a bit. The FB is a great analog tweaker... It gives a raw edgy sound that makes ANYTHING more interesting... But there's no magic pieace of gear that will give you the sound you want. You have the ability now with the sampler to "tweek them and ruin them and kill them and stretch them" . . .

What kinda sampler is it? Maybe I'm wrong but most have filters, and effects and tweaking and stetching abilities.

"I need more gear" is the mantra of those who've yet to learn how to program what they have. Now, "I want more gear", well... that's a whole other issue.

e

Message 6/27             09-Jan-03  @  11:14 PM     Edit: 10-Jan-03  |  12:54 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

milan

i also have a FB. its not for sale though  

it _can_ make your drums more interesting, deffinitely. just bringing the signal thru it with not too much drive, makes drums more punchy and in your face, and when you start messing with filters and modulations god knows where you'll end up. on the other hand, its only mono, and its at its best when distortind stuff to hell and back, which you may or may not like. i also bought it to process my loops thru it (amongst other things), but have found other interesting ways of doing it with software in the meantime(which still doesnt make FB any less usefull). so, if you want to tweak your sounds in realtime, and you like distortion and gritt, then FB is good for you. on the other hand you may also get that sample CD first and see if that brings you anywhere before splashing out on a sherman.

regards, m.

Message 7/27             10-Jan-03  @  12:28 AM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

influx

Link?:  Link

I'll second that on the sampler. which is it?

Message 8/27             10-Jan-03  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

oh im not saying i cant do a lot with the sampler... because i can.. its an 808 ex. its got a real nice fx processor on it and ive been using it a lot recently, but i dunno. i just thought maybe a fb would be the way to go to give me more options, thats why i was asking. theres just something missing from the fx processor on the sampler, though. maybe an external fx processor like an alesis would make a differnce and save me about 500 bucks??

thoughts??

-justin

Message 9/27             10-Jan-03  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

99devils

I have to confess I don't know much about the 808, but I'd assume it has filters? If it does, there's not going to be much you can't really do in the sampler. The FB will sound better, and let you overdrive the input and add distortion and whatnot, but I seldom find myself running my drums through my Filter Factory rather than using the filters in my Akai - except if I'm filtering a loop or something like that where I'm using envelope follow or something.

The easy answer is the filterbank isn't going to give you instant new possibilities. You'll either have to buy new samples or create your own. Be creative like I said before.. Then pitch things up or down. Timestretch them. Chop out a few cycles of a waveform and loop it, then use the filters in your sampler to make it drum-like. Add noise. Use Stomper to make up new samples. Get lots of stuff from the junkyard and sample yourself destroying it  

-Craig

Message 10/27             10-Jan-03  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

lol

ok craig. fair enuf. now heres another question for you... should i use a kick drum mic to record junkyard bashing?? :p

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)