aaa hard drive system ? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: hard drive system ?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/26             16-Jan-03  @  03:35 PM   -   hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi !
Has any of u ever used an ATA 100 RAID card (onboard or additional) to record tracks via a soundcard ?
I now own an Echo Mia (not installed yet), and I'm thinking about how it would work (how many tracks, how fast), with such a disk controller...
Usually, they're used for servers...
Any hint about that ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/26             16-Jan-03  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

Check the PC Music forum, theres a thread titled RAID- Any point (I think). Think it answers your questions

Message 3/26             16-Jan-03  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Errr.. Well, thanx, yes, it does bring an answer, as I thought to use IDE disks...

Well, I might try another system, unless I'm crazy enough to launch myself into the adventure !

I have an Asustek A7V motherboard which does not recognize the ATA 100... I'll try and give a look at ur Abit boards ;-)

Message 4/26             16-Jan-03  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

If you going to be using a seperate PCI card then the ATA100 will work fine. Abit do them. Around £30 IIRC

Message 5/26             16-Jan-03  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

beds

Link?:  Link

i got an asus a7v with promise on board ata-100 ultra ide dooda, windows sees it as a scsi/raid controller

Message 6/26             17-Jan-03  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

When you say 'does not recognise the ATA100' what do you mean? It's just that you can't just hook the disks onto that and expect to install from scratch, it needs drivers.
To be honest tho, I wouldn't bother using the RAID, I'd just use it as an ATA100 controller.

Message 7/26             17-Jan-03  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Well, in fact, I mean that I've never been able to install any system on my drive connected to the ATA100 promise controller. Nor 2000pro, neither win98se.

I had to connect it to the UDMA 66. Then, when I installed the controller, I've never been able to use the disk connected to the ATA100 port: it freezes down my system when I read-write big files !

And u know multi-tracks requires big files...
I haven't tried yet with my soundcard, but only copying and reading big test files in windows makes my PC freeeeeeeeeze !!!

What can I do !!!

Message 8/26             17-Jan-03  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Eerrrr, well, I wouldn't transform this forum into the PC forum...

Main fact is: I have a brand new Echo Mia, nice and neat, I dream about it and tenderly look it on my desk, but with so many disk trouble in my PC that I can't try it out !!! :-(

Message 9/26             17-Jan-03  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

U did give the os's the drivers tho didn't u? E.g. to install 2K onto ATA100 u have to press F6 when prompted then give it the driver disk, otherwise it can't see your disks.

Message 10/26             19-Jan-03  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Anex

Sorry, didn't read your last post correctly. Have you got the latest BIOS and drivers from the Asus site? I've worked with plenty of Asus boards (although not this one) but they've generally been very reliable and stable. Perhaps search google etc. to find out if there are any issues and possible fixes? Sometimes it can be things like the controller will not work with certain hard disks (some of the IBM disks caused probs like this a few years ago) and a simple BIOS flash will take care of it.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)