aaa What OS for budget AMD build? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: What OS for budget AMD build?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             27-Jan-03  @  09:33 PM   -   What OS for budget AMD build?

hutchshop

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm doing the budget PC build featured in the dt article 'building a budget pc' or whatever. Can anyone suggest which OS I should use?

I'm planning to use it primarily for mixing down to begin with, so I plan to use Sonar or something that hosts dx plugs.

matt

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             27-Jan-03  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: What OS for budget AMD build?

psylichon

Link?: Link

sonar = wdm drivers = XP.

Unless sonar 2.2's ASIO support turns out to be all I hope it will. Then 98 might be a great platform for Sonar.

psy

Message 3/13             28-Jan-03  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: What OS for budget AMD build?

Anex

2k! It's like XP but not so damn enourmous.

Message 4/13             28-Jan-03  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: What OS for budget AMD build?

psylichon

2k is good, but it can be tough sometimes to get up-to-date drivers for audio/video cards. Multimedia support in general is not as seamless as XP. I thought I'd never use the built-in media capabilities of XP but I find them useful everyday. Just something to consider...

psy

Message 5/13             28-Jan-03  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: What OS for budget AMD build?

influx

Link?:  Link

and XP is really quite easy to slim down. just takes a little work and it runs GREAT

Ive never seen a system boot so fast as mine does!

Message 6/13             29-Jan-03  @  08:51 AM   -   RE: What OS for budget AMD build?

dARKSTATe

XP XP XP.. ya hear me Craig..  XP XP XP...

(And don't you DARE post that past post of mine Influx!)  

Message 7/13             29-Jan-03  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: What OS for budget AMD build?

Anex

'but it can be tough sometimes to get up-to-date drivers for audio/video cards'

2K uses the same drivers as XP!?

2K is a man's OS. Don't be a nancy, use 2000!   j/k

Message 8/13             30-Jan-03  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: What OS for budget AMD build?

dARKSTATe

Fcuk 2K.. go XP baby

Message 9/13             30-Jan-03  @  10:16 AM   -   RE: What OS for budget AMD build?

influx

Link?:  Link

"2K uses the same drivers as XP!? "

not completely true

Message 10/13             30-Jan-03  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: What OS for budget AMD build?

Anex

Well I haven't seen many bits of H/W which doesn't use a consolidated 2K/XP driver install? Even my cheapo TV card does. I'm sure some company somewhere does but you can't dismiss 2K on that fer feks sake. If you look on most s/w or h/w forums at the mo (not talking exclusively about music production here) they are full of 'Doesn't do this that and the otter on XP...'
I know this will just take time and 2K was the same in it's infancy but 2K is about 3 years old now and is stable as f0rk, causes next to no problems at all, is smaller and (I find) faster than XP and is all round just fantastic. Microsoft have almost got OS's right with 2000, now all they need to do is stop wasting all my f'in clock cycles on f'in POSIX and OS2 support, having 640k base, stopping me damn well deleting what ever the hell I feel like deleting and not giving me access to alot of the system core stuff and I'll be happy.
Bloody windows. Get linux instead. Actually, I hate windows. In fact I hate everything. I'm going back to bed.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)