aaa Cheaper monitors the way? - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Cheaper monitors the way?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/40             29-Jan-03  @  02:20 AM   -   Cheaper monitors the way?

SpinbacK

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok, Really struggling with my mixing here-

Im using a pair of JBL studio series monitors (forget model number)and am thinking of changing them- I can get my mixes to sound pretty good on them, A/B'ing against pro tracks sounds similar. i listen on a couple of hi-fi's round the house and everything sounds well spaced out and eq'd. The mix sounds comparable(ish) to the tracks im listening against.

Im working in clubs 2 or 3 nights a week so i can listen to them on a big system, however, as soon as they get played across a club system they sound dreadful.

My friend has got these ancient shabby sony speakers hooked up to his stereo and when i played him the track, i could here exactly where the mix was wrong on his set-up, like i could on the big club systems.

Basically looking for any advice on where to go from here- they dont make ns-10's anymore right?
When i bought these monitors i A/B'd against a few others including Spirit Absolute's etc but ive now lost total faith in these jbl monitors along with my ears  

Any thoughts appreciated

SpinbacK

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/40             29-Jan-03  @  03:01 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

influx

Link?:  Link

maybe get some Auratone cubes?

kinda odd that you could go around and the mixes would sound good til theyre loud. usually the other way around?

Message 3/40             29-Jan-03  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

SpinbacK

I spose i need todays equivalent of the ns-10?

These jbl's are more hi-fi than monitor and are colouring the sound, need something thats going to give me a proper image.

Its soul destroying spending the week getting a mix ready, only for it to sound awful when i test it out, and doubley frustrating when I take it back home and it sounds fine through these.

I know this will sound stupid, but id rather trust what somebody else advised to buy, rather than listening for myself because i trusted my ears the last time and came home with these!

Ive got a servo170 amp, just need something thats going to show up bad mixing instead of covering up

Spinback

Message 4/40             29-Jan-03  @  06:52 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

SpinbacK

After a bit of reading old posts ive noticed alot of good things said about the Alesis active M1's.

Older but good flat reference no?

spinback?

Message 5/40             29-Jan-03  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

milan

Link?: Link

ah, so your monitors rent actually that good? i mean, they dont reproduce even the "pro" tracks faithfully? why not look for a 2nd hand ns10's mebbe? myself, i'd look into somethig with lower bass extension if the tracks are gonna be getting any club play, like maybe hhb circle5's? they seem to be my favourite amongst passives.

Message 6/40             29-Jan-03  @  09:14 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

nomad

Link?: Link

what exactly is the problem? you say you a/b with pro mixes and they sound comparable, so what do you find missing when you get to the big system?

you know about fletcher-munson? maybe just try testing the mix at a few different volumes?

you'd be surprised the difference a good amp can make too (i wouuldn't call the servo 170 that good).

i have heard some people say they don't like jbls because a lot of their speakers use horns instead of 'normal' tweeters... but other people really love them...

Message 7/40             29-Jan-03  @  09:56 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

influx

Im usin KRK V6 and getting near perfect translations all across the board. honest

Message 8/40             29-Jan-03  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

SpinbacK

Milan, The professionaly done tracks sound great at home AND out, Mine just sound good/ok at home and rubbish out.

So i spose im looking for a monitor that doesnt make my and professional mixes sound so good at home.

I like the idea of having Ns10's to reference against, or the Alesis active M1's mebbe?

Message 9/40             29-Jan-03  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

d

like rubbish how exactly? too much low end
robbing headroom?

Message 10/40             29-Jan-03  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

influx

you should find yourself a frequencey analyzer. just to take a look at what your mixes are doin, and compare them

sometimes visuals help

also..whats your room like?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 40 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)