aaa a few synth programming questions - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: a few synth programming questions

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             03-Feb-03  @  03:22 PM   -   a few synth programming questions

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Sorry for the constant questions. Maybe I can help someone someday. Anyways..........

A couple of basic areas where I'm having difficulty understanding things.

1. I believe that when you detune 2 oscillators by different frequencies, the result is 2 signals that are moving in and out of phase with each other so there will be times when they interfere destructively. I understand that on pads/strings that this is cool BUT what about basslines? I mean I wouldn't want the 2 osc to be cancelling anything out cos then I lose bottom end right?

2. I read that Keith Emersons' lead sound had 3 oscillators tuned to the tonic, third and fitth. So, on my es2 if I tune osc 1 to the root note (is that the same as tonic?), osc 2 to a third and osc 3 to a fifth then I get the same kinda sound yea? So in the key of C, I would have:

osc 1 - C root (minus 12)

osc 2 - E

osc 3 - G

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             03-Feb-03  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: a few synth programming questions

influx

Link?:  Link

the phase thing...definitely...probably not so good for bass because sometimes the sound can damn near disappear

sync the osc's for bass?

Message 3/12             04-Feb-03  @  03:40 AM   -   RE: a few synth programming questions

a.d.d.

hey to each his own. i personally love detuned analog bass. 'specially when run through a shitty guitar amp, mic'd, and then run through another filter. mmm, crispy.

Message 4/12             04-Feb-03  @  05:26 AM   -   RE: a few synth programming questions

Pongoid

Link?: Link

yeah, all in context
same applies with Bass chorus. Depends on how it's used, sometimes the stacking and cancellations are cool, but for rock solid un wavering bass, yes, either sync, or just one oscillator. I liked the effect of three with a mini, though. I used to use this kawai synth 100 as well, and that thing had only one OSC, but DAMN was it phat. Possibly the hottest single OSC synth I ever used. Filter was ok too. Kawai put it out, Tiesco did as well. Dunno how the two were tied together but it was the identical instrument either way. Secret weapon type stuff.

Ape

Message 5/12             04-Feb-03  @  05:40 AM   -   RE: a few synth programming questions

Influx

Teisco or whatever turned into kawai I think...

Ive heard of that synth. kinda wanted to get one...whats the actual model again?

Message 6/12             04-Feb-03  @  05:41 AM   -   RE: a few synth programming questions

Influx

that it?

Message 7/12             04-Feb-03  @  09:06 AM   -   RE: a few synth programming questions

Dominic

Cheers gents. So that's what Osc sync is for. So if I have 2 different waveforms on 2 different osc and switch on sync, then osc 2 will restart its waveform cycle when osc 1 waveform starts its cycle?

But say I used 2 sawtooth waves, isn't there gonna be a point within the first cycle of both waves where phase cancellation will occur?

Message 8/12             05-Feb-03  @  02:28 AM   -   RE: a few synth programming questions

pongoid

synthesizer 100 Kawai or Tiesco, same model. I can't recall if Sync does phase lock the OSC's. On my uWave the OSC's are 100% phase locked, then you have an adjustment called Startsample to adjust that relationship. and they remain locked, unless you detune. Don'tknow about other units doing it. If it has to be 100%, I'll either use that,or just one OSC on something else depending on the character I'm after.

Ape

Message 9/12             05-Feb-03  @  09:57 AM   -   RE: a few synth programming questions

Dominic

Ta Pongiod.

Message 10/12             07-Feb-03  @  04:33 PM   -   RE: a few synth programming questions

Pongoid

Just doin my job ;)
now go forth and make fat bass!

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)