aaa NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17             18-Feb-03  @  10:22 AM   -   NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode?

k

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

just wondered, cos i tried it and had loads of problems... seems with my athlon at least XP works better running tings itself, although yes, I DID get my dsp24/96 on IRQ 5 manualy just as I wanted.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             18-Feb-03  @  10:36 AM   -   RE: NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode?

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Couldn't be arsed to touch it... ACPI works just fine with the DSP24 kit!

Kept reading on the STAudio forums about people having no choice but to use Standard PC but from what I've seen its nothing but a hassle..

Message 3/17             18-Feb-03  @  11:16 AM   -   RE: NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode?

psylichon

I use XP without ACPI. Fuck it. I have to hold my damned power button 6 seconds to turn the system off but it's worth it for the stability. I do have to mind what card is in what slot tho, cause i'm full.

psy

Message 4/17             18-Feb-03  @  11:27 AM   -   RE: NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode?

psylichon

btw, it works, so don't tell me i'm all wrong!

Message 5/17             18-Feb-03  @  12:04 PM     Edit: 18-Feb-03  |  07:16 PM   -   RE: NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode?

Steve Roughley

In full agreement with Psy here. I've setup Standard PC for XP-Pro on my GigabyteGA7DXR board. It was an absolute friggin' nightmare getting all of the drivers working correctly, but christ is the PC stable now.

However, I can't see it working with some of the new mobos that are available, as they are now fitted with soooo many on-board devices that correctly setting up resource sharing would be a hopeless task.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 6/17             19-Feb-03  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode?

dARKSTATe

Never had any problems with the EPoX and Asus stuff Steve... works like a charm using XP and ACPI (and these are the newer KT400 based boards crammed to the gills with Serial ATA, Firewire and shit)

Message 7/17             19-Feb-03  @  10:24 AM   -   RE: NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode?

Steve Roughley

That's what I meant mate. I was saying that I can't see the Standard PC setup working with the new mobos'.

Steve.

Message 8/17             19-Feb-03  @  10:47 AM   -   RE: NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode?

dARKSTATe

ah.. gotcha..

Ok, back to gazing out of the window time..  

Message 9/17             19-Feb-03  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode?

§ï†ÅR

What is standard pc mode? I know I'm not using it cuz it sounds like something you have to go out of your way to setup. XP is stable for me as is and if it's not broken.... but still I'm curious.

Message 10/17             19-Feb-03  @  12:14 PM     Edit: 19-Feb-03  |  12:19 PM   -   RE: NE1 using XP in 'standard PC' mode?

Steve Roughley

When setting up XP or 2k, the first option you get is to install third party SCSI, or RAID drivers by hitting F6. This is where you can hit F5 to choose which type of PC you are running so that the OS will be correctly installed.

Standard PC means that the motherboard does not feature anything that requires special drivers or installation. Whereas many modern mobos will feature ACPI functions, such as suspend to RAM and autopower features, so one might want to specify the setup as PC with ACPI. Although, any modern mobo (last 2 years) can still be setup as standard PC, but many of it's new, fancy onboard devices may give you quite a lot of stick for it.

Hope thsi helps mate.

Steve.

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)