aaa Delay - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Delay

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/32             23-Feb-03  @  04:36 PM   -   Delay

sector7g

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I was wondering if anyone could explain how to use a delay to echo only certian cyllables in a word, or word(s) in a phrase.

For example, instead of delaying the whole phrase:
I love dancetech...(I love dancetech)...(I love dancetech)...etc

you would only delay the tech in dancetech:
I love dancetech...(tech)...(tech)...etc

Hopefully that will make sense to someone. I am using vst 5.0, and have both plugins and a hardware delay unit availible (Yamaha D1500, as recommended by dancetech).

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/32             23-Feb-03  @  05:06 PM   -   RE: Delay

psylichon

Link?: Link

basically, you have to automate the send so it only opens on the words you want. I don't use cubase, but I'm sure someone could explain it if you don't have a manual  

psy

Message 3/32             23-Feb-03  @  08:37 PM   -   RE: Delay

sector7g

Thanks psylichon, I figured that automation was the best way to go with cubase.

How did they do it before VST automation? Did artists record their parts dry, route the signal to the delay unit, then manually adjust delay parameters while recording on another channel?

I actually payed for cubase so I do have a manual. Don't trust cracked software on my mac.

Thanks again

Message 4/32             23-Feb-03  @  11:33 PM     Edit: 23-Feb-03  |  11:34 PM   -   RE: Delay

milan

before automation? for example by cutting the phrases they wanted to effect and pasting them to another track which is feeding the delay unit. on analogue you'd still have to do it like that, or by manually opening and closing the send during bounce to 2track. i atually did it like that a few times while working with analogue gear. its kinda fun since you have do it by feel and it comes out slightly differently each time.  

Message 5/32             24-Feb-03  @  12:21 AM   -   RE: Delay

d

Link?:  No link

yep, you took those things at the end of your arms -- hands I think they're called -- and use them to operate the aux knobs on the mixer while the music played. in your DAW, you can also dupe the track, cut out all but the "tech" thing you wanna echo, mute it to your mains but use it to feed your delay.

Message 6/32             24-Feb-03  @  12:38 AM   -   RE: Delay

influx

hell...I used to do that arm thing 

Message 7/32             24-Feb-03  @  03:43 AM   -   RE: Delay

sector7g

Sounds reasonable.

Thanks

Message 8/32             24-Feb-03  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: Delay

Deano

An old git writes

Funny how the joys of the old ways are so soon forgotten. It's so much fun twiddling the aux sends and adjusting the delay time and feedback on the delay... and listening. So much more immediate than chopping little bits of audio with the mouse or automating fx sends. Mind you it's also so much easier to f*ck up and overload or mistime something, and then you have to start again.
But just listen what people like King Tubby or Lee Perry did with little more than a tape delay and the desk eq, and no automation. I doubt there's many people around these days that could do it.

Message 9/32             28-Feb-03  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: Delay

k

you can do those fx 'styles' tho with pc - I even did one in that short thriller score we did recently.... i ran One control envelope which gradualy increased the aux-send to the delay plugin - then setting an envelope fo the feeb-back to get the mad distortion-added-percycle sound of that saturating tape delay - you can use that feebback envelope to make sure it doesnt feed-back too much and go all to hell and fry your earholes... you can add an eq to the delay return channel to round off the eq as the delay feeds back with another envelope.

Message 10/32             28-Feb-03  @  03:08 AM   -   RE: Delay

sector7g

Hate to sound like a newbie (which I am), but how do you assign control envelopes to control things like Aux sends and various parameters of plugins? I know what filter/amp envelopes are, but am unfamiliar with using them outside the context of Amps and Filters.

much appreciate everyones time.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)