aaa Project 5 - it's arrived !! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Project 5 - it's arrived !!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/29             22-Apr-03  @  01:37 PM   -   Project 5 - it's arrived !!

k

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

it's here - nice box anyways   - hmmm!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/29             22-Apr-03  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: Project 5 - it's arrived !!

k

File?:  [image]

[image file]

contents - manual & disks etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/29             22-Apr-03  @  02:04 PM   -   RE: Project 5 - it's arrived !!

k

File?:  No file

er.... well, it kills the XP PRO pc into re-boot the instant you try to open it.

um...

*sigh*

Message 4/29             22-Apr-03  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: Project 5 - it's arrived !!

k

seems to open ok inside SONAR2 tho - odd - more experimenting to do no doubt - I didn't have room for the whoile install on my C: drive

I think FIRST with all the content to be loaded with the install disk it SHOULD offer a different location for samples. There is more sample content on the second disk, but the first disk installs LOTS of content besides the programme with no option to force a different location... That'd be useful with most of us allocating a different disk or partition for samples & kits

demo sounds good tho!

Message 5/29             22-Apr-03  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: Project 5 - it's arrived !!

Cakewalk

K,

Look for your glitching now. If your system is up to snuff, you'll never hear a glitch unless you patch an effect or synth in Project5.

You can even drag loops, automation, and MIDI patterns back and forth over the nowtime indicator during playback.

Let me know if you have any questions. And thanks for the compliment on the box.

Message 6/29             22-Apr-03  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: Project 5 - it's arrived !!

k

VERY intuitive! - I dunno about this crashing the PC when opening as a standalone - But under rewire in SONAR it's a piece of the proverbial !

Nice drumbox! - didnt get to try other stuff much - but VERY VERY nice realistic bass patch on something in the demo song!

yeah.... programming a pattern for the drums in SONAR was easy, I like the dump-pattern-to-track - easy to see

quite like the initialy easy to learn qwerty keys to open/close various main parts... need to get into that more.... seems very cool -

Also I DO NOT agree with comments i've seen that it's a rather poor GUI - I LIKE IT!

the controller-edit for adjusting velocity is rather hard to 'latch' when zoomed out to view perhaps 2 bars using 64th note-lengths...

more to come - this is GOOD so far! - good sounds too!

Message 7/29             22-Apr-03  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: Project 5 - it's arrived !!

k

ok - sorted the crashing on boot as standalone - it doesnt run on ASIO drivers in XP it seems.

I set my hoontech audio device panel to MME drivers rather than ASIO - Booted PROJECT5 and it booted fine - choose output driver & midi diver i/o - set the latency down to 5ms and off you go! - wonderful! - playing in realtime from my K2000 no probs and.... it's VERY good sounding man! - VERY nice... YES, the sounds are dry, and I've heard some criticism of them - I TOTALY disagree... these sounds yes are dry from the synth - so YOU can choose the fx you want, which to my mind is sensible indeed! - very nice synth the SYN.OPS - Nice drums too! - I'll have to get into the rest of it

Message 8/29             22-Apr-03  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: Project 5 - it's arrived !!

k

very robotic timing on the built in sequencer

Message 9/29             23-Apr-03  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: Project 5 - it's arrived !!

k

Link?:  No link

well with perhaps 5 synths/drums playing in Project_5 rewired to SONAR 2.2, with about 35% CPU drain on the meter, I'm getting glitching with all edits performed in SONAR - there is definately something going on, which is different to other sequencers, cos for example - running a 2 bar loop, if you lassoo a cluster of mebbe 6 short 16th notes in a row (all same pitch), then drag that to a new pitch or position in time (L/R) there is a slight pause (similar to opening a small file) accompanied by an audio drop-out, and then the notes suddenly 'snap' to their new position...

still annoying I'm afraid... shame this detracts from the experience of using the two in tandem which was VERY intuitive!

Message 10/29             23-Apr-03  @  10:17 AM   -   RE: Project 5 - it's arrived !!

k

Link?:  No link

ok, I don't want to mix PROJECT_5 notes with stuff about SONAR's glitch...

I messed with PROJECT_5 for a few hours without the manual - I always like to try a few hours without any manual on a s/w product to see how intuitive it is without having to refer to the manual at all....

The results were that I only needed to refer to the manual once for details about the audio-file 'grooveplayer'.

You open the 'grooveplayer' audio-files in the pattern-editor - yup, audio files open in the same editor as midi notes & controller editing etc - when you edit an audio-file, there is a LEFT (yellow) & RIGHT (red) locator flags visible - I wanted to see what they did as I couldn't figure it out... Actualy I still didn't figure it out as that section of the manual is actualy lacking almost totaly... There's very little information about editing audio-files in the pattern-editor in the manual and certainly I could find no reference last night to these flags or the editor itself when editing audio-files - ????

um.... anyways, without a manual I walked around and around the PROJECT_5 programme, and after a while figured out the protocol for opening/closing & move/snapping the various windows for the various editors... Finaly I got it figured out.

PROJECT_5 defaults on opening to a typical stacked or 'panelled' layout when opened, with all the various windows visible sized in various ways

Now, you CAN work like that, but I discovered that for me, my favourite was to close all windows except for the main SONG/ARRANGE/TRACKS window - That window is where you ADD NEW TRACKS assigning each added new Track to an instrument

So, I have a page with just the tracks on it for working in rewire mode.... If you then want to add a synth/generator, you simply click the ADD TRACK button and choose a sound-generator.

To view the actual generator to tweak the sound or assign a controller etc, you simply double-click the track header and it opens centraly on the screen to edit or choose a new preset.

when finished you just close it again... However, any open window can be dragged to the left/right/top/bottom of the screem area, and as you do so, it 'snaps' to 'bolt-on' to the other open window/s

So for example, if you have ONLY the arrange/tracks window open only, then open a synth to tweak the sound, the synth opens as a float, over the tracks/arrange area - If you then grab it and drag it downwards to the bottom of the screen, it auto-snaps to bolt itself on to the bottom of the tracks/arrnage window - When 'snapped' on, it changes to become full-width of the bottom of the screen, locking itself to the bottom of the already open tracks/arrange window - Once snapped so it is 'bolted-on' below the tracks/arrange window, you can then adjust the devider position verticaly to reveal more or less of the lower 'bolted-on' window

With all windows open, they all snap together in this way and the deviding borders of all the windows where they meet can be dragged up/down/left/right to resize them

So, you might have a work area with at the top left you have the main tracks/arrange window - Then to the right of that is the pattern-editor window - You can then drag the central devider between them to the left/right, to expose more/less of either window either side of the devider...

Below those two windows in the next 'ROW' (so to speak) could be perhaps the synth edit window covering the whole screen left to right - and then in the 3rd 'row' below that would be the FX window etc

The interesting thing is, that all you need to do is double-click the broder area of any window, and it snaps open as a floating window, detatched from the other windows.

once snapped open & floating, you can then close that window completely which can be re-opened via the top text menu's or by using control keys

So I found I preferred to work with PROJECT_5 without ANY windows open except the main tracks/arrange window....

that way in rewire, I can flip to Project_5, double click a track header and the synth opens as a float ready to be tweaked

if you also have Project_5 patterns playing inside Project_5 on it's tracks as well as rewire patterns triggering the Project_5 synths from SONAR, these pattern can be tweaked by simply highlighting a pattern, then choosing the key-command to open the pattern-editor as a float

Once the pattern-editor window is open, if you double-click on any pattern on the arrange/tracks window, that pattern displays in the pattern-editor window instantly ready for tweaking...

THAT I really like!

working either stand-alone OR under rewire, accessing patterns to edit is so fast...

any pattern created in the pattern-editor (which is a piano-roll style editor) can be added to a track, by simply selecting the required track, setting the cursor position to the required start-time, and then click the 'ADD PATTERN TO TRACK' button - which snaps the new pattern to the required position on the track/arrange area.

to create a pattern for an instrument assigned to a track, but in a position where no pattern exists already, you simply select the required track, & the pattern editor shows a blank empty pattern... then create away!! - as you add notes (or play them from your master keyboard) into the pattern editor, it triggers that synth assigned to the selected track - However, as a nifty touch, that pattern can of course be assigned on the tracks/arrange area to ANY synth

Pattern can be browsed via the pattern browser which is cool - As a song is playing or looping, you can browse a midi pattern list and as you click each pattern, it starts to play the assigned synth - that way you can browse pattern, auditioning them - That was cool! - I created a basic drum & bass loop, then browsed some preset patterns I didn't create, so I had no idea what the pattern were like - audiotioning midi patterns like that revealed new ideas i wouldn't have thought of myself as they were originaly created in isolation from my loop by someone else - but even if you created the patterns yourself, being able to browse lots of ready-made riffs and patterns is very cool - works for drums too

so that to me must be an extention of SONAR's 'Pattern-Brush' tool - only in this case rather than having to commit the pattern by actualy brushing in IN to the pattern to hear it play, in this technique the pattern just 'auto-plays' when selected, BUT, it auto-plays the desired audio generator, be it synth, sampler, drums etc... it triggers whichever synth is assigned to the selected track.

That's kinda as far as i got

I figured out that any synth can have audio or midi fx chained to it - adding new fx chains them in series one after the other... i didn't yet figure out mixing, output routing and adding send type fx (if that can happen)

also I didnt figure out controller editing in Project_5 or SONAR/rewired yet - But in Project_5, it seems that you add controllers inside pattern OR accross tracks over multiple patterns (rather like Orion does it) - you draw controllers OVER notes in patterns which is cool - in other words, your controller area is NOT a lower panel underneath your notes display.... In this case it is the WHOLE background area behind the notes - but the colour used to draw in controllers is semi-transparent, so that notes in the foreground are easily visible, and controller data on the background is also easily visible. This also gives you a LARGE vertical range to draw in control rather than a small lower-area with only a few cm of height.

Controllers are selected in pattern-editor using drop-down selectors.

Synth pots/sliders and other controls can be easily assigned to controllers too, there is LEARN buttons on everything it seems...

So far so good! - Sonar & Project_5 seem to go together like bacon & eggs - you can flip between SONAR & Project_5 all day, creating stuff in EITHER programme to create your total mix!

Project_5 also has an analog-style pattern editor which i didn't figure out yet

It needs a better manual I'd say - this one seems a bit 'rushed-out' - perhaps not as deep as you might want.

The sounds themselves btw are very nice - sampler, analog VA synth, VA drumbox, sample drumbox (which looks from it's pads as if fxpansion had a hand in it's creation!)

there's alot more to get into, a hell of a lot - BUT I WOULD say initialy that the Project_5 sequencer is much freindlier & easier to use than REASON's sequencer - I actualy enjoyed using it!

more to come! - Project_5 works with 'groove-clips' too - perhaps that is what the yellow & red l/r locator flags are for in the audio-file pattern editor?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)