aaa Removing 20hz from the bass - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Removing 20hz from the bass

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/18             01-May-03  @  08:44 AM   -   Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

So I'm supposed to remove 20hz from the bass to free up some headroom?

How would you do this in Logic? Well, what I mean is which eq would YOU use? I don't think the high pass filter sounds that nice. Plus I wanna remove 20hz-80hz on a sliding scale (I know that's not the correct techy speak but hopefully you know what I mean), so theres like 18db of removal on the 20hz bit gradually reducing to no db removal at 80hz. Then I can give the bass a 3db boost at 80hz on my analog board.

Is this the right idea and which ones the best. DJ, fat, track or paramentric. I tried it on the Fat eq but when I cut 18db at 20 hertz, the slope is too steep and actually knocks 3db out of the 80 hz area aswell.

Any suggestions ladies?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             01-May-03  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

milan

Link?: Link

FmcN, didnt you have another question that is in need of a reply to a reply?

Message 3/18             01-May-03  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

Come again?

Message 4/18             01-May-03  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

k

cant you get that using two bands of the fat eq, each with a different 'Q' ?

Message 5/18             01-May-03  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

milan

milan? calling milan?

Message 6/18             01-May-03  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

K - I did try that but I was finding that the slope became to steep. I'll have another bash at it tonight though so cheers.

Milan - I thought I remembered you saying in another post that for your basslines you use a combination of the esm AND es2. On well, maybe I dreamt that. Hmmmm. :-) Still though would it be possible for me to attach one of those es2 files up on here for everyone to be amazed at? :-)

Message 7/18             01-May-03  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

milan

nah, i dont use ES2. but i still dont understand what you actually want...

Message 8/18             02-May-03  @  02:16 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

lsw

"Any suggestions ladies? "

You sound like a PE teacher :p

Message 9/18             02-May-03  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

Filthy McNasty

Milan, how come you don't use the es2? Did you mean that you don't use it for just bass or you don't use it ever?

I was wondering myself if I should get an outboard synth for my bass. But then I was wondering that if all my drums come off the exs24 and the bass came off an outboard synth, then I wonder how that would effect the groove cos of the ms delay. I mean some articles I have read say that you should make the bass come in a few ticks later than the drums to give the drum track a sense of urgency. Maybe the natural "midi" delay of say 20 ms would do this for me automatically.

However, the only module that I have listened to that I really like for house style basses is the Korg MS2000. I wonder what else is about?

Message 10/18             02-May-03  @  10:48 AM     Edit: 02-May-03  |  10:49 AM   -   RE: Removing 20hz from the bass

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

are you sure you really want the slope to cut out from
20hz to 80? that's a pretty sizeable space. you'll end up
cutting a fair ammount of the sub freqs that way. maybe
you want to do that. i dunno.

i was actually just having this dicussion the other day
my my brother. wondering how to cut beyond -18db.

don't know if you are on a mac or pc, but there is an eq
plugin called Eqium for mac that will cut well beyond -
18db. also, try curveEQ if you're on a pc.

www.voxengo.com

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)