aaa "barebones" PC ? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: "barebones" PC ?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             23-May-03  @  02:51 AM   -   shuttle xpc

Lewin

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi everybody...

I'm quite new on the "computerized" music, I've always owned hardware, but... I've tried some nice plugs ans virtual synth, and I was amazed by the loiw cost and the quality you can get from these...

So what ? Well, I intend to get me a specialized mini XPC from shuttle, with an echo MIA sound card and an athlon...
Any idea about these XPCs ? Do they work ?
As the gamers use them, I want one too for the same reasons : they're SMALL !!!
Anybody has tried one ???
Thx for any hint about these ;)
Cheers

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             23-May-03  @  03:41 AM   -   RE:

Influx

Link?: Link

one thing about the tiny cases and the necessary motherboards is the lack of PCI slots, and PCI slots are what a lot of what we do is based on...if youre SURE youll only need the one or two then cool

also..theyre just not that expandable. You probably can only have one hard drive, which really...if youre gonna do a lot of audio stuff you should have two (one dedicated to audio)...and are there enough ram slots that support newer faster ram?

Message 3/16             23-May-03  @  12:03 PM   -   RE:

Lewin

Well, you're right ! But they're more expandable than an i-book or a Thinkpad (real portable PCs), and they're cheaper.

Actually, I think there's just what I need in these tiny cases:
- ONE PCI slot, which is for the ONE soundcard I want
- they can get up to 2 Gb of DDR SDRAM,
- it seems there are TWO 3-1/2 slots u can use (one for the hard disk, the second is supposed to be used for the floppydisk drive but then, who needs it right now ? Wanna save a song on a 1.44 Mb untrustworthy thinggy ?
I guess I'll try it... I wrote a mail to Echo too, as soon as they'll answer, I'll know...

Message 4/16             23-May-03  @  12:45 PM   -   RE:

k

could be ok, BUT, be warned, with one drive fitted, IF that drive ever goes down, so does ALL your work, so unless you can network this thing for backup duties, I'd seriously think of fitting some sort of backup external cart if possible.

Message 5/16             26-May-03  @  11:49 PM   -   RE:

Lewin

Thx for the advice, in fact I've had a thought about that. Loosing all my work ? Hu, that would be kinda bothering me ;-)
Now, thinking about it, I'm sure it can easily be avoided by partitioning my drive.

Or even better, by getting two hard drives, even if one is quite enough: one drive for data "backup", and one for the system and softwares.
It's possible to fit two HDD in those lil beasts (but then no floppy drive, who cares ?)!

Message 6/16             27-May-03  @  12:11 AM   -   RE:

Lewin

In fact, I think I'm gonna add in my lil box a CDburner, instead of a simple CD drive.
This could allow easy backup too.
I've had my mail from Echo, hu hu hu ! They're quite sure about the Intel chipsets, and the VIAs, but they just told me "you're welcome to try out SiS or other chipsets" :-)
Nice people ;-)

Message 7/16             27-May-03  @  08:46 AM   -   RE:

dARKSTATe

Hang on a sec.. can't you get those Shuttle PCs configured with a tasty nFORCE2 mobo??

Sure you can, dunno where you're based but in the UK I know Overclockers.co.uk are doing barebones systems based around nFORCE2 chipsets - very nice for sure...

As for the storage option, you have one other choice as well as using an internal IDE drive, coz the nForce2 mobos come with Firewire you *could* theoretically use an external (eg. LACIE) Firewire harddrive too.. (These drives certainly have the chops to be used for Audio purposes if all the reviews and benchmarks I've read are true)

Just a thought..  

Marc_D

Message 8/16             27-May-03  @  09:07 AM     Edit: 27-May-03  |  09:13 AM   -   RE:

psylichon

400mbps?? sure, fine for audio! The one studio where I work (which is pretty intense with its Pro Tools HD bandwidth) claims they've gotten 64 tracks streaming no problem. I've personally cut 23 tracks live to a firewire drive with no problem... took a few seconds to lock up but that is to be expected. Only a SCSI and/or RAID solution would solve that. Needless to say, firewire is here to stay. Firewire II anybody??

psy

Message 9/16             27-May-03  @  10:19 AM   -   RE:

dARKSTATe

Well that'll solve our friends problem then, IF, he's got the budget for it...

Certainly an nForce2 based Shuttle Cube PC with Firewire would solve that... miniturisation/portability comes at a price tho'..

Message 10/16             27-May-03  @  10:20 AM   -   RE:

k

Just to say to Lewin - partitioning is fine for deviding a PHYSICAL drive into individual partitioned/lettered drives for easy management... and you can even format each partition differently, BUt the whole point of using multip0le drives is that IF the physical drive dies, that physical drive contains all your partitioned drives so they ALL die... we're talking here about a MECHANICAL drive death, where the actual physical drive dies in some way, not some sort of s/w or formatting problem that just effects one partition.

So always get some backup space, cd burning is ok for achiving (that is burning a finished song with all files etc for archive), but to backup project which still are being worked on and will change every week or every day or every other day etc it results in a mass of CD backups.... Also, Cd backup is just more time consuming that quickly copying a song folder to a second drive.

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)