aaa In need of urgent assistance... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: In need of urgent assistance...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             27-Jul-03  @  11:11 PM     Edit: 27-Jul-03  |  11:19 PM   -   In need of urgent assistance...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Did anyone watch the episode of Six Feet Under where Mr Siranai passed away and had a Buddhist funeral (shown this night on Channel 4. Some of you may better remember it as the episode with the sex party)? There were these three Thai Buddhist Monks chanting this funeral chant that just sounded bloody amazing! I have grown soooo tired of the human voice, but this sound that they produced just immersed me in the most haunting atmosphere. It was almost like three VAs approached Judaist angels before scaring the shit out of them. I NEED to know where I can get a clean audio recording of this style of chant (I will quite happily pay). I am so surprised that I have never heard it before. I could listen to it for hours and hours and my tracks need it.

I'm really sorry for the rant, but I've never heard anything like this before. Please help a guy out.

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             28-Jul-03  @  04:44 AM   -   RE: In need of urgent assistance...

Broken Silence

Link?: Link

If they have a website, I would try there first or the broadcasting company's email info...

Message 3/14             28-Jul-03  @  12:53 PM   -   RE: In need of urgent assistance...

§ï†ÅR

There have to be recordings of buddhist monks around. I had one years ago of Tibetan monks I think. I don't know if it is the same sound as the Thai monks you heard. There was once a label called Nonesuch that carried all kinds of world music.

Message 4/14             28-Jul-03  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: In need of urgent assistance...

Boo

Link?:  Link

My Mum has shit loads of Tibetan chant CDs - I'll ask her.

Message 5/14             28-Jul-03  @  07:20 PM   -   RE: In need of urgent assistance...

errata

I have tons of tibetan chants on MP3... want some?

http://www.bhaktisangeet.com/bhajan/int/thai.html

e

Message 6/14             28-Jul-03  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: In need of urgent assistance...

Steve Roughley

Cheers fellas. I'd appreciate that Boo and I'll check out your link tomorrow e.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Message 7/14             28-Jul-03  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: In need of urgent assistance...

dan-s

darn you, they haven't shown that episode on swedish tv yet! you've spoiled it all!

Message 8/14             29-Jul-03  @  05:42 AM   -   RE: In need of urgent assistance...

marianimal

I didn't see the show and I'm not familiar with Thai Buddhist chanting but I'd venture a guess that it's going to be pretty different from Tibetan Buddhist chanting, which you probably have heard before.

Are you really tired of the human voice or are you tired of hearing words? I can kind of understand both, really.

Message 9/14             29-Jul-03  @  06:02 AM   -   RE: In need of urgent assistance...

bedwyr

Link?:  Link

hello marianimal  

steve, do a search for six feet under on google, gives you the hbo site, then you can find that episode there, series 2 i think. can't remember what it's called.

was it a clean sample on the program? maybe you can get it off the tv, then pay them royalties when you get hoooooj innit.

Message 10/14             29-Jul-03  @  07:47 AM   -   RE: In need of urgent assistance...

psylichon

I know what you're talking about. check out Shpongle's "Behind Closed Eyes" for more of that amazing vocal shit. The really high flute sounding things are actually vocal cords flapping. Don't really know of much beyond that track tho, but would love to hear some traditional music in that style. It's a really amazing talent.

There's two "graintable" oscillators in the maelstrom synth in Reason that can mimic that sound. I'm thinking of "Tibetan Monks" and "Throat" I think. If you don't have that program, oh well. I tried  

psy

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot