aaa New bs track - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: New bs track

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             24-Aug-03  @  03:53 AM     Edit: 24-Aug-03  |  03:56 AM   -   New bs track

Broken Silence

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hey!

Got a new track up- It's called "Forgiven"

Lots of distortion, harder sounds- some strange ones in there too. I think DTers will like  

I HIGHLY encourage you to listen in HiFi if you can- there are so many little nuances that get eaten in the crappy lofi mix (soundclick's encoder blows donkey)

Thanks alot! All comments, criticisms, advice, anything is very welcome.

Andrew

Soundclick Page (DUE TO LACK OF SPACE DAMMIT!)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             24-Aug-03  @  11:00 AM   -   RE: New bs track

GrooveMonkey

Listenng...

Hats seem WAY to loud!

Love the distorted lead that comes in around 1:00

Nice little break 1t 1:51 ish

like the spooky lead at 2:21

good thing the break came at 2:45 ish coz it was gettin a bit much.

reminds me of something after the breakdwon but can't think what.

Sounds kinda German if you know what I mean.

The lead at 5:21 dosen't fit too well with whats going on, but then it vanished again and I think you need to change what the wiry sounding lead does at 6:00, gets a bit much.

Overall mark B+, nice one Drew!

G

Message 3/23             24-Aug-03  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: New bs track

Broken Silence

Hey marek!

I'm glad you listened and actually liked it!

The only thing I'm not sure of is the hats- I've listened on tons of speakers and haven't had a problem. The only thing I've raised since this mix was the claps...didn't see the hats. Maybe I should have spent more on my new monitors hehehe!

Yep, German influence- reminds me alot of those mint cosmic gate tracks hehe- the up and down melody style. I love that hehe

Thanks again for listening :P

Andrew

Message 4/23             26-Aug-03  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: New bs track

Broken Silence

Link?:  No link

anyone else?

Message 5/23             26-Aug-03  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: New bs track

nathanael

first rate production here i think...

personally not my bag but it certainly works within its sphere

only suggestion i could offer would be to dampen the hats-- they seem a bit brittle, too obtrusive (imho of course).

excellent work

Message 6/23             26-Aug-03  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: New bs track

milan

put it here, innit!

Message 7/23             27-Aug-03  @  03:25 AM   -   RE: New bs track

mcc>

nice track andrew....i like the subtle off-ness of the lead phrasing.

now back to dancetech a little would ya?

and don't tell me ya can't afford the space.
i know you can.

Message 8/23             27-Aug-03  @  06:28 AM     Edit: 27-Aug-03  |  08:45 AM   -   RE: New bs track

psylichon

very nice effort, my friend. you broke rule #1 in promotion, though: get the name right  

clear mix...but exTREMEly loud. I streamed it and opened it up in Sound Forge and the RMS (average) level for the track was -5. That's entirely too squashed. It's completely destroying the punch of any percussive elements you have. There's no space left in your mix when you only have 5 dB of headroom between your average level and fullblast max. Every transient is getting annihilated. You get the point.

Rip some cds of your favorite club bangers. Then open them up in a sound editor and run statistics on them. Check out the RMS.... it will be high (0 is max, so it will be a negative number) for dance music, but it shouldn't be up to -5. Check them in sections... like the loudest part at the end. I'm sure it won't be up to -5.

On the creative side of things, I'm really waiting for you to come up with some different transitions than the filter swallow---> open up thing. It's in every track now... aren't you getting bored of it? I mean, it works just like it's always worked... but it's... yeah, you know.

I love the playfulness of your melodies. That's the best thing about your music... it's lighthearted, innocent, fun music and that fuckin' kicks ass in this day and age. Focus on that and stop trying to be so damn loud!!!  

Message 9/23             27-Aug-03  @  08:44 AM   -   RE: New bs track

psylichon

File?:  [image]

[image file]

See how your kicks and snares are squashed beyond recognition? All that time making the perfect kick to turn it into a square wave   too much limiting will do this.

Also notice the meters. They never really moved from that position.

psy

Message 10/23             27-Aug-03  @  10:17 PM   -   RE: New bs track

Broken Silence

Sweet, thanks alot for everyone's listens, kind remarks, suggestions and everything you posted!

Mcc, I have used like 29.5 megs of my 30 meg DT space. I say more space dammit!!!

Psy- Hmm. Well thats about all i can say hehe since I know nothing about what the normal "volume" standard is. Also, I don't know what RMS is...

Here's how I finished it up: Once I bounced the track from logic, it was at an extremely low volume so I wouldn't clip anything. Then in T-racks I did a bit of eqing, no compression, but boosted the fuck out of the multi band limiter so I could get the track nice and loud- I didn't want it really LOUD, but I made sure the highest point of the track was -1db....about what db should my track be at?

I felt that the multi-band really pushed out subtle things in the track and made it "fit" more mixwise. Should I not be using it as much? Or not at all?

Also, thanks alot psy for your kind comments and analization!

Andrew

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)