aaa major computer problems :( - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: major computer problems :(

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/33             01-Oct-03  @  03:42 AM   -   major computer problems :(

Influx

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

so I got all excited and bought a new processor, another 512mb of RAM and a new HD for audio and backup...

mobo is an Epox 8kha+, was running an XP1700+, now its a 2400+

I had flashed the bios with no probs, even run a bunch of shit afterwards to make sure it was all good.

it WAS

so I pop the new processor in, with nothing attached...just the proc, RAM, and vid card.

hit the switch, and poof. turns on for a split second then turns off.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

so...I put the old processor back in...SAME god dammit!

it was working perfectly before all this fucking shit...and now even the old config wont work

cleared CMOS and tried again, still naught

the ONCE, with the old processor, I got it to turn on?

ONCE, out of 15 times. now nothing again.

I can not for the life of me figure this fucking shit out and I am about ready to break something.

argh.

I know no one hear can really help, but Icant call epox or amd til tomorrow and I wanted to whine. fuck

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/33             01-Oct-03  @  05:51 AM   -   RE: major computer problems :(

Influx

thank god no one answered this yet

DONT

nevermind why, just dont. IM NOT TELLIN CUZ YOULL LAUGH!!!

Message 3/33             01-Oct-03  @  07:49 AM   -   RE: major computer problems :(

sox

Link?:  Link

Sounds like either your vid card or ram wasn't pushed all the way in the socket....

sox

Message 4/33             01-Oct-03  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: major computer problems :(

k

Link?:  No link

no no - c'mon tell us - I need a laugh after coming back to England again.

Message 5/33             01-Oct-03  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: major computer problems :(

dARKSTATe

C'mon dave.. tell us.. we won't laugh, promise..

Message 6/33             01-Oct-03  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: major computer problems :(

Yonce

Link?:  No link

I bulid PCs all the time at work, I have cursed motherboards up and down but it's really not their fault i didn't : Have the mother board plugged into the power supply or even the power plugged into the back !!!! once I accidentally plugged the power switch to the reset switch on the motherboard that didn't work to well either !!!! So come on influx it can't be as bad as that what didja do ?

Message 7/33             01-Oct-03  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: major computer problems :(

99devils

I'm betting he didn't have the thing plugged in  

-Craig

Message 8/33             01-Oct-03  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: major computer problems :(

beds

Link?:  Link

no fan on the processor

Message 9/33             01-Oct-03  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: major computer problems :(

Influx

heh. well...

first, let me say I have an excuse or two:
1)I have a broken right rear molar. hurts!
2)I just found out I have to move in a month

that said:

the toggle switch on the back, on the PS? For some reason I got it into my head that the "O" meant ON and the "-" meant OFF.

so, everytime I thought I was switching it ON, I was turning it off

I must have cleared CMOS 50 times, blah blah blah...

when I finally got it right, everything powered up perfectly. soundcard didnt work for some reason but I just pulled that and put it in a new PCI slot (was wanting to do that anyway)

so..now a project that was taking up to 86% CPU and causing spikes and all sorts of f-ups now takes 45%, and...

this is the interesting part:

I had a 9gig 7200rpm SCSI drive for audio...old skool 50pin wide SCSI (adaptec 2940)

so..I put a WD 80gig 8meg cash ATA100, partitioned 15g on the front for audio?

this same project that was showing about 20% disk usage, shows NONE (buffers set at 8/64)

crazy!

so, works great. just dont let me work on your computer. Funny thing is I just built two for some friends, and they went nearly flawlessly, and then I go fuck with mine and turn into an idiot!

Message 10/33             01-Oct-03  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: major computer problems :(

milan

haha. good for you.

mebbe the old drive was badly fragmented or you had an irq conflict (it such things still exist).

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 33 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)