aaa Firewire for PC? (828MKII) - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/30             07-Feb-04  @  09:58 PM   -   Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Im lookin at gettin a MOTU 828MKII to streamline my system even more (wont need a monitor mixer anymore, or heck, a patchbay even!) and am not sure what a good firewire PCI card to get is.

MOTU rec's against certain chips on the card, and says get either TI or...another one...

anyone have suggestions?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/30             07-Feb-04  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

well shiiit. theres also the Edirol UA-1000

USB...no additional cards.

Id rather have the extra inputs on the BACk and just two on the front tho...

hmmm

Message 3/30             07-Feb-04  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

milan

there's also Presonus Firestation as a firewire solution... that one has little gain adjustment screws on top which is handy if you're planning on going without a mixer i guess.

Message 4/30             08-Feb-04  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

heard some crappy things about that one.

I like the features on the MOTU more...

true about the no mixer thing, but...Ive always just recorded my virus direct at line level anyway, into the RME, and it has worked fine.

heh. Im probably doin something wrong.

the MOTU has gain on the inputs as well, I believe?

Message 5/30             08-Feb-04  @  06:50 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

toast

Link?:  No link

As much as I mistrust motu I'd go with whatever they say on this one. My experience with firewire on a pc is that it's not actually a standard. Your firewire card has to be compatable with the firewire chip on the device. I dont have any experience with firewire audio cards but I've had a lot of wierd things happen with drives including perfectly functional drives deciding they were no longer connected to my system while they were in the middle of writing. Older adaptech firewire cards and the built in ones on older dell laptops are suspect in my book. I'm sure there are others to be avoided as well.

Message 6/30             08-Feb-04  @  11:09 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

yeah...I got that part...

also kinda lookin for input regarding any experience with this interface, too.

anyone?

thanks for the input toast

Message 7/30             09-Feb-04  @  11:13 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

k

that one looks interesting too

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/30             09-Feb-04  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

The Moujik

Influx - been looking at the same interface, but haven't really been able to find much concrete stuff on PC compatability..... basically just the stuff I'm sure you've read on the MOTU site (don't use NEC-based cards, get TI or Lucient) etc

In general though, the impression I get from here & places like the SOS forums is that all MOTU stuff can be fairly flakey on PC... on the other hand there are quite a few people on the Cakewalk/Sonar forums (obviously all PC based) who seem to be running them with no problems.

Anyway, sorry..... I haven't really helped at all, but I'd be really interested too if anyone had anything solid on this subject.

Message 9/30             09-Feb-04  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

influx

Link?:  Link

well, Ive ordered one, so I guess I'll be a guinea pig for ya 

K..that looks interesting, but...never heard of those folks!

Message 10/30             09-Feb-04  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

The Moujik

Good man!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)