aaa non-sub bass for sub bass - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: non-sub bass for sub bass

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/41             17-Feb-04  @  04:49 AM   -   non-sub bass for sub bass

brad

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

well the subject line just says it all doesn't it?

Naw it's simple- what do you guys do add an "audible" tone to your standard heavy air-pushing, subby jungle sinewave type bassline?

I have an existing subbass patch that you can *feel* very well on a well-powered system but I want people w/ lesser systems/headphones/laptop speakers to be able to *hear* it. It's also a little muddy in the mix but I think I need to roll-off the real low part that's just wasting energy (around 60-70 kHz?)

I know what I'd do but I'd like other opinions/solutions, please.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/41             17-Feb-04  @  05:30 AM   -   RE: non-sub bass for sub bass

Influx

first..."roll off" at 60-70?

assuming you mean high pass, then thats just WAY too high. it wont even be a sub anymore really 

second:

try copying the part with a highpassed sawtooth or triangle wave. it follows exactly, but the harmonics can be heard...say on a system that cant reproduce the lows.

Id high pass the sub at 30hz or so..maybe 35-40 even if the notes youre using allow it

another option is distortion. copy the part, highpass the second and add distortion to taste, and again bring it in til its just barely audible, or even more aggressively if you want

lastly...

wrong forum;)

Message 3/41             17-Feb-04  @  07:52 AM   -   RE: non-sub bass for sub bass

brad

1st, wrong forum? I know ur kiddin but truth in jest- what forum would this really go in- mixing? Bah, too many forums, threads dying of neglect in obscurity. this is in music tech cos I'm asking a technical question about music, heh.

2nd, thanks

Message 4/41             17-Feb-04  @  08:53 AM   -   RE: non-sub bass for sub bass

milan

yeah... do what inflx said   dual filters are your friend

Message 5/41             17-Feb-04  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: non-sub bass for sub bass

mcc>

Link?:  No link

if it were in the sub-bass forum i'd never see it!

Message 6/41             17-Feb-04  @  11:42 AM   -   RE: non-sub bass for sub bass

d

Link?:  No link

sometimes try sticking a parametric band with a narrow q at 20 hz and lower it several dbs to clear up low end.

another way to make sub-bass audible on shittier systems is to run it through an amp n speaker (mmmm, bass cabinet), get it sounding nice in the room and mic that up and record what's going on up above 100 hz.

Message 7/41             17-Feb-04  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: non-sub bass for sub bass

craig

I use layering like Influx suggested. usually something dirty... FM with a tight lowpass to filter out the really nasty parts, or a pwm patch..

-Craig

Message 8/41             17-Feb-04  @  07:27 PM   -   RE: non-sub bass for sub bass

Influx

yeah, mixing. but youre right, there are too many forums, no doubt.

I like damballahs idea! reamp!

Message 9/41             14-Jan-05  @  10:34 PM   -   RE: non-sub bass for sub bass

daminato

Try using waves Maxx bass with combinations of band distortion like quadra fuzz by steinberg, you can pick the freq range you want to distort up to four different bands. Maxx bass recreates midbass harmonics out of subbass content specifically for cpu speakers and boom boxes. Waves also makes Renassaince Bass, I dont have it yet but I believe its on the same line except its also a special bass compressor.

Message 10/41             14-Jan-05  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: non-sub bass for sub bass

Influx1

are you aware that this thread is almost a year old?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)