aaa check this out - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: check this out

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/22             20-Apr-04  @  03:29 AM     Edit: 20-Apr-04  |  03:35 AM   -   check this out

sitar

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

A guy in our clan did this. It's his first flash attempt. Pretty awesome I think and break drums to boot. You gotta love the bass fading out at the end. Nice stuff.

http://www.elitezarksnipers.com/ Or catch it up above ^

I'm going to be asking the breakbeat guys here a serious question soon. Kicks are why I'm uninspired to do tracks and I really need some help/answers. There are elements of my tracks that are interesting but the drums and especially kick drums are ridiculous. Anyway that's a heads up cuz I want to do this. If I can't then I can't but I really will need some input.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/22             20-Apr-04  @  04:51 AM   -   RE: check this out

psylichon

not too shabby... seen worse.

For kicks, lowcut below 50 HZ, shelf boost around 60-90 Hz and make a steep cut around 200-300... then add a notched click at around 6-8k. can't go wrong.

Message 3/22             20-Apr-04  @  12:09 PM   -   RE: check this out

sitar

Thanks. A couple of things I noticed in analyzing somebody's breakbeat kick:

The kick slid into the beat. In other words it started maybe 30 or more ms before the beat and crescendoed up to the beat but it sounded as if it was just landing on the beat. Gave it that subtle slippery effect but I haven't found a kick I can do that to with any success.

At the same volume level as a kick I used in a track the breakbeat kick sounded MUCH louder and way more powerful. I zoomed into the wav file and it had the same amount of headroom as my kick.

It slides in, sounds way more powerful and then it slides back out, meaning it tapers out much the same way it tapered in.

I know that the excellent breakbeat composers here use similar types of kicks. I just don't know how to replicate them from scratch and although I have several samples from this persons track of his kicks I wouldn't use them in a track, tempting as that may be cuz i'd love put a powerful kit together with some of my other ideas.

Message 4/22             20-Apr-04  @  03:11 PM   -   RE: check this out

psylichon

are you listening to an MP3 for comparison here? Sometimes I've noticed the encoding does interesting things between high frequency content like a hihat and lofreq stuff like kicks. Sometimes it can melt them together so it sounds all slinky like you describe.

Chances are it's just a matter of compression for ya... what compressor do you usually use on kick?

Message 5/22             20-Apr-04  @  04:55 PM     Edit: 20-Apr-04  |  04:56 PM   -   RE: check this out

sitar

I haven't settled on a compressor. I have several between 3 in reaktor4 and timeworks and another that came bundled with Sonar3 Producer.

It was an mp3 but I know that slinky effect from some lo-fi mp3s but this is not that.

Message 6/22             20-Apr-04  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: check this out

psylichon

have you tried blockfish from digitalfishphones? ^^^

Message 7/22             20-Apr-04  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: check this out

Audio Alchemist

Link?:  No link

yooooooooooooooooo, Sitar! Whatup?!

Awesome bassline...

Message 8/22             20-Apr-04  @  10:15 PM   -   RE: check this out

k

here's a tip

At the end of the animation, you see [ENTER]

you'll notice that on trying to click, the mouse only slips into 'link' hand mode when the tip crosses a part of the text.... you want it to be clickable when mousing over ANY area of the word [ENTER]

when you create an object which is text, then assign in any of it's INSTANCE in the timeline an 'onmouse event = press' command to go to a URL this links just the text not the spaces in between the letters or around them making it hard to click on easily as the mouse pointer keeps flickering from 'link' hand to pointer normal

to get round that go to edit your [ENTER] object

SHOW GRID

select all the text, and using the shift key drop it down using the down arrow key.... count how many times you shift it down

now... above it, create a rectagle object with the same border-line colour and fill colour as the background - drag the rectangle out to be the same length as the [ENTER] text and the same height -

now deselect that new object, and select the [ENTER] text

hold shift again and using the Up arrow key, tap it back up the same amount as you tapped it down out of the way earlier

note it's position and if the rectangle behind it doesnt line up, tap the [ENTER] lettering back down again out of the way and reposition the rectangle

if the rectangle (which is on the same layer btw) is in front of the text simply use the modify object MOVE BACK or whatever command to send it behind the [ENTER] lettering

ok... when you have the rectangle Behind the text, lined up well with the same height & length as the [ENTER] text - and with the [ENTER] text in it's original position before this editing, then.......

select everything and do command MODIFY - GROUP, so that the background rectangle and the [ENTER] text over it are grouped as one object

now go back to the scene and check the INSTANCE to make sure the onmouse press go to URL command is intact

now when you mouse anywhere over the [ENTER] text, the mouse will remain constantly in 'link' mode with the pointing-hand showing at att times until you move it away from the background rectangle area which is with the [ENTER] text

sorted!

it just occured to me that if that text was done with the TEXTFIELD activated (but with no borders or backgound ticked for the text-area properties) then it might have the same effect but quicker to make happen/edit

damn!.... i've just been getting back into some FLASH meself over the last few weeks actualy.... i always forget alot of stuff cos I use it so infrequently and am also learning... but the textarea thing could work mebbe...

Message 9/22             20-Apr-04  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: check this out

k

it's cool btw - but....... you STILL suck!!!

muaahahahahahahhaha !!

LOSER!!!

I'm definately going to have to come and kick your ass sometime soon Sitar... if for no other reason than those bloody appaling jokes!!

btw... Did you hear abut the Nautical Archer?.... his name was Boson Arrows

*cue tumbleweed*

Message 10/22             20-Apr-04  @  11:56 PM     Edit: 21-Apr-04  |  12:12 AM   -   RE: check this out

sitar

Oh jeez. bosen arrows I'll pass the advise on k. I didn't make it. It was someone else from our clan.

Oh and bring it K! I was getting monster and holy shit kills all day yesterday, not to mention a couple of godlikes Would be fun playing with ya m8. You probably fight like Nali! I can't say that you fight like a girl. Akashaaa, EvilLittleGirl, and hXc_chic are 3 badass girls in our clan. There's an interclan team of females, Akashaaa and hXc_chic are in it. Their tag is {TBH} which stands for TheBetterHalf. You gotta love it. I know most of them and they are damn good. {BL}Sponge, {SOD}Chicklet, -ZS-Brutalblonde, {FzS}H( .Y. )TERS, {JSCaC}Play, {NYA}Silk, {HzA}AlisonChains, -ZS-DemonBitch to name a few. Oh man they are fun and they all love Homey

Hey Alchemist what's up!

Psylicon, I haven't tried blockfish. I'll have a look now. But I'm thinking if I'm not nailing it with what I've got it's still a real lack of understanding. I'd probably get kicks sounding worse coming out of a focusrite platinum than they did going in.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)