aaa how noisy should they be? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: how noisy should they be?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             18-Jun-05  @  09:55 PM   -   how noisy should they be?

daf

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hiya
ive bought some behringer 2030a active monitors. bought then without hearing then first. just wondering, how much noise should they be making (any?) when theres no audio signal passing thru? theyre humming in a way that is distracting. they also seem to be picking up something from somewhere....is this normal for [cheap/behringer] active monitors??

anyone got any of these? whats yrs like?

any help much appreciated

cheers

daf

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             18-Jun-05  @  11:51 PM   -   RE: how noisy should they be?

k

Link?:  Link

so if you turn all the other gear OFF inc pc and any screens (at the mains), and disconnect all cables from the speakers, they still hum?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/12             19-Jun-05  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: how noisy should they be?

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

take them back -and NEVER buy berry gear again

its absolute garbage , theres far better cheap options available

unless....... your not on a apple G5?

alan

Message 4/12             19-Jun-05  @  01:16 AM   -   RE: how noisy should they be?

Influx

sounds like grounding probs to me, not just "cheap behringer"

Message 5/12             19-Jun-05  @  09:10 AM   -   RE: how noisy should they be?

k

i dunno. Sox had a pair of Truth's we were using on Friday at the college and they were ok

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/12             19-Jun-05  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: how noisy should they be?

daf

hi
thanks fr replying! the pc i ahvegot makes a fair bit of noise (even tho i have tried various things to reduce the noise) im not so bothered by the pc noise. and initially i thought 'the noise' was the pc. after awhile i turned the pc off, unplugged the audio cable and tried turning them on/off independently. one of the monitors repeatedly made a 'thunk' noise when turned on-the other didnt make the thunk- when just switched on, no pc, no audio, the monitor makes some bassish hum...its not really loud-but i assumed theyd be silent or nearly: i used to use ahi fi amp to power some kef coda 3s (that's how ancient i am) and the amp made no noise. so, i assumed first that these monitors would make no noise. so, one gives a bassy hum. the other is quiter-and is to all intents and purposes quiet. noticed last night, that with the pc on and both monitors on, that its a s if theyre picking up something-they get buzzier--the other reason i got them was that theyre sposed to be 'magnetically shielded' and i though thisd make them impervious to that sort of thing...?

i know behringer have a dubious sonic reputation.....but when the budget is tight and yr in the sticks (wild west wales) theres not much you can do.

thanks fr yr thoughts

dafoggum

Message 7/12             19-Jun-05  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: how noisy should they be?

k

Ok, i'll ask it again:

so if you turn ALL the other gear OFF inc pc and any screens (at the mains), and disconnect all cables from the speakers, do they still hum?

Message 8/12             19-Jun-05  @  07:12 PM   -   RE: how noisy should they be?

daf

hi k

the monitors hummed with all the gear off, no audio cables, but still switched on at the mains.

but after your replies i experimented this afternoon. i unplugged the power supply for everything including the flat screen and tested each one and eventually i think i came to the conclusion that the power cable for the flat screen was (somehow?) making the monitors make the 'hum' noise. i plugged the screen to another socket and moved its adapted to way away from the desk and tried again-and they seem as quiet as i imagine they should be-certainly not the same hum noise. theyre not 'silent but they re not noisy like they were...

thanks fr writing back.

dafoggum

Message 9/12             19-Jun-05  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: how noisy should they be?

Influx

there'll be amp hiss, most likely, but the hum...I get that too, and its 100% down to my flatscreen monitor, cuz if I turn that off it goes away

usually able to wiggle cables to get it to stop, too

Message 10/12             19-Jun-05  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: how noisy should they be?

daf

thanks influx
thats reassuring to know- ill try them again tomorrow and if all's well carry on with them
daf

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)