aaa Doing something about music... - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Doing something about music...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/18             07-Sep-05  @  11:04 AM   -   Doing something about music...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm seriously considering taking some time out from my IT career to have a proper crack at the music industry. In a couple of years time I will have easily acrued enough experience in business software development to have a fall back if I fail in the music industry, and I really feel that, in later life, I will be severely dissapointed with myself if I don't give this a shot.

So, what I am after here is some advice on what line I should be taking. I am thinking about completing a degree in music production technology which will tighten up my existing skills so that I can get on with my own productions (which as you all know has been difficult recently) as well as give me other skills that I can use for cash-flow work like installations and TV, etc. Really I am completely open to suggestions and would like to hear from anyone who is involved in the industry (Psy, et al).

Any advice here is greatly appreciated.

Stephen.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             07-Sep-05  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

k

Link?:  Link

well i'm starting a teachers degree course next week, P/T, 3 years, no fees. It's a huge growth industry right now, cos they are revamping all school music departments in the uk right now and need music tech people with PC skills. Our drummer knows a guy who did the course some years back, and apparently he's now something like 'Head of music technology' for Cumbria district council. You get a guaranteed job placement at the end of the degree.

as for the actual biz side... it's not hard to get tracks placed with small labels, but there's rarely any money in it unless you have a club hit of course in which case you would prolly make good dosh from the resulting compilation licencing globaly.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/18             07-Sep-05  @  02:12 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

Dominic

K just out of interest if I made a tune and it sold 1000 copies worldwide on a small label, how much money could I expect? A £1 a record sold?

Message 4/18             07-Sep-05  @  02:22 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

milan

Link?: Link

if you *made* a tune, dominic...

(well you did ask us to encourage you to post some tunes, right? ;)

Message 5/18             07-Sep-05  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

k

mebbe, there's so many variables. You're more likely to get on a comp first

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/18             09-Sep-05  @  12:19 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

cheddar

"next week, P/T, 3 years" K man why are you teaching PT?, mate thats for loosers, teach music you must have more idea about that

Message 7/18             09-Sep-05  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

beds

go for it steve.

i just moved into some studio space in town after years of working from home

it can be done!

Message 8/18             09-Sep-05  @  02:51 PM     Edit: 09-Sep-05  |  03:04 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

Steve Roughley

Cheers for the replies folks.

K, I'd really like to avoid teaching if I can. Both my parents are leacturers and it doesn't bode well for me (I've managed to escape my family for most of my life and I aint gonna stop now).

What I am really hoping to discover is what job opportunities there are and what the job market is like for a producer/engineer. While this isn't the core reason for this decision, it is, at the moment, one of the crucial factors. If I choose to go with this, I will, at the very least, be delaying a good, promising career by 4 years, so I need to make sure I am making the right move.

Beds, I do really want to give this a go. It'd be awesome if it pays off. When you say you have just moved into a studio, do you mean you work in music for a living? And, if so, do you have any advice on obtaining a regular income?

Message 9/18             09-Sep-05  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

monkeybasket2001

sorry to hijack steve- k whats pt? i work in a school and am just trying to work out what it means...

greg

Message 10/18             09-Sep-05  @  03:43 PM   -   RE: Doing something about music...

k

part/time = p/t

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)