aaa Recording 'Senser' live - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Recording 'Senser' live

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             07-Oct-05  @  05:15 AM   -   Recording 'Senser' live

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

well here's an interesting one - had to go to the underworld today/tonight to record the legendary band SENSER live!

cooool!... The band hired an Alesis HD24 and a Mackie 16 channel mixer, plus 16 XLR splitters and a 16 way jack-to-jack loom

no manuals for anything when we opened the box *sigh*

however, the Alesis unit turned out to be pretty intuitive with experience to back up the task, and i got it sussed out in about 2 minutes and did a test recording.... i will say they have made the unit VERY easy to use... i have never used one before or even operated one, but it was soooo easy to deal with the menu system

anyways, the interesting bit....

After a superb evening we did all the roadying and unloading of the backline and now I've got the HD24 sitting right next to me on the floor, and..... it has a build in ethernet port and can be set into a mode where it becomes an FTP server!

so after a few no-goes, I set the unit's IP address to 192.168.0.100 rather than the recommened 192.168.001.100 and bugger me, i'm transfering the wav files off the thing to one of the network machines using WSFTP32 ftp software!

what a bloody great idea even if the transfer speed of the Alesis is pitifuly slow... Once you access the alesis you get a choice of grabbing the files as either .wav or .aiff (Audio Interchange File Format)

anyways, i video'd the setup at the venue and the gig, albeit not a decent video, just setup the camera and let it roll.... I didn't get time to do a video interview with the band, but we can sort stuff like that out another day... anyways, i've got enuff footage of the tech stuff to add a short video for noobs showing how the whole thing was done at the venue using the HD24 and also an adendum on using the ftp ability of the hd24 to easily copy the recorded tracks to your favourite s/w for mixing

it's a brilliant idea, and makes any PC capable of using the HD24 for location recording with easy pc-transfer... no need for the usual adat card to get tracks off the unit

sadly the Alesis DID bum-out at one point. luckily at the end of one of the songs... it showed an error that the HD wasnt fast enuff and stopped... simply hit record again and it started up... perhaps it was the heat in the venue or that combined with the fact it had been recording solidly over 16 tracks for around 45 minutes at the point it stopped..... oh well... the drive in the hire unit turned out to be an older ata100 drive

what an AWESOME gig it was anyways... really superb... you only have to see them to understand why they are so rated and after all this time since the early days when they were unsigned and ripping New Cross to shreds regularly, they still have a very large following. I spent some time talking to an Aussie who moved to the uk recently and had fullfilled his dream to see them live ever since he got their seminal first album, he was well chuffed!

They are really a cult band... the venue was totaly rammed, the audience went beserk, plenty of stage diving etc... a totaly brilliant gig!

Sadly when we went from camden to swiss cottage to pickup the alesis & mackie mixer hire units, due to an unforseen burst water main, we got caught up in the typical 'London grinds to a standstill because of one stupid problem' jam, and what should have been a simple 15 minute trip ended up taking 2 bloody hours to go 1.5 miles up the road and back!... we were so late getting back to the venue we didnt get time to do decent a record/playback test during the soundcheck... so there's no way to know how it sounds. We took a straight feed from the stagebox via the XLR splitters sent thru flat-eq channels on the mackie, & used the channel direct out's from mackie to the alesis recorder... hopefully tho the recorded tracks will be decent enuff to mix - we got about an hour set down... they also had a bunch of camera's video-ing the gig too... i think a DVD could be in the offing

SENSER... if you don't know them check them out... currently unsigned, but who knows... for the uninitiated, in recent years they've toured the US with Moby, they've done gigs with people like Henry Rollins etc etc.

they are playing friday night in Swindon, so get your arse down and see how a rock/dance crossover band SHOULD be done!

www.senser.co.uk

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             07-Oct-05  @  01:26 PM   -   RE: Recording 'Senser' live

k

that is tonight btw in swindon

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/13             08-Oct-05  @  12:04 PM   -   RE: Recording 'Senser' live

milan

Link?: Link

good stuff, seen them on tour with Rollins some years back

had no idea they still exist. so you're mates with them or something?

Message 4/13             09-Oct-05  @  08:33 AM   -   RE: Recording 'Senser' live

k

no, a friend of mine is roadying for them and called up for some help.

Message 5/13             13-Oct-05  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: Recording 'Senser' live

k

ok dudes, the video article is up on the frontpage - enjoy!

Message 6/13             16-Oct-05  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: Recording 'Senser' live

Rags

Great vibe!

BTW, wtf is that "stagebox" you often mention, is it some kind of multiplexer for mic signals coming from the stage to the mixer at the back?? (I'm kind of newbie when it comes to live pa terms...)

Message 7/13             16-Oct-05  @  10:46 AM   -   RE: Recording 'Senser' live

milan

stage box is basicaly a mic signal splitter, with one input available on several outputs. it can be passive or active, offering mic gain, pad, phantom power, different kinds of outputs etc, and usualy looks something like this:

or like this:

^that one from Klark Teknik is really popular with people i work with. offers 4 outs to one in, two electronicaly ballanced, two transformer ballanced. you can use it to split signals for FOH mixer, monitor mixer, broadcast truck etc, and usualy have no problems with gain or quality loss or ground hum.

Message 8/13             16-Oct-05  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: Recording 'Senser' live

milan

oh and cool vid Kilo. just watched it with my morning coffee  

few questions tho:

was the stage box full so you had to use splitters? and did you have gain loss because of it?

how do you feel about recording without foldback monitoring from the alesis unit?  

i did a few recordings with an 03d and ADATs where we also didnt have time to set up a return mix, and altho knowing theres no reason for it not to be ok, i still feel kinda queasy about not being able to hear back what i'm recording :/

Message 9/13             16-Oct-05  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Recording 'Senser' live

Rags

Cheers K!

Ah-ha. I always thought that this splitting of individual signals is done somewhere around the "main" mixer. Is it common to have a separate mixer for the stage monitors as well, or those are driven from the main mixers sends?

Message 10/13             16-Oct-05  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: Recording 'Senser' live

milan

Rags wrote:

Is it common to have a separate mixer for the stage monitors as well, or those are driven from the main mixers sends?

thats your Monitor mixer. any semi-decent venue will have one nowadays (well, in the western world at least  ). thats why you use a stage box: to split a signal to the F.O.H. (front of house = main mixer), and the monitor mixer (the one that takes care of the mix for musicians' stage monitors. hence the name right.)

if you dont have a separate monitor mixer, then yes, you would use the pre-fade aux sends to feed the stage monitors.

usually, having a separate monitor mixer is better because it a) makes for shorther cable runs (no need to lay down two multicores to the main mixer), b)frees the channels/sends/busses on the desk for other duties, c) makes for better communication with the band as the mon. mixer is usually situated right next to the stage (so they can shout if they need anything), and d) spares the main guy all of the hassle associated with band members asking for more of this/less of that etc etc  

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)