aaa Soundcard for laptop (XP) - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Soundcard for laptop (XP)

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/15             21-Nov-05  @  08:08 PM     Edit: 21-Nov-05  |  08:11 PM   -   Soundcard for laptop (XP)

Anders Klitgaard

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I was planning on gettting the M-Audio Fast Track USB, but the reviews at MF are so bad! Alternatively, I could get the M-Audio MobilePre USB, which fares better with the reviewers, but it's a step down from 24 bit to 16 bit.

My purpose is to record guitar via a Shure SM57 as well as speech in the same mic. Please recommend me an alternative soundcard in this category to be used with a laptop (XP). Thanks!

M-Audio Fast Track USB

M-Audio MobilePre USB

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             21-Nov-05  @  10:56 PM   -   RE: Soundcard for laptop (XP)

milan

Edirol UA-25 perhaps? i'm happy with my FA-101

Message 3/15             21-Nov-05  @  11:51 PM   -   RE: Soundcard for laptop (XP)

Anders Klitgaard

milan wrote:

Edirol UA-25 perhaps? im happy with my FA-101

Thanks, Milan. Yes, I was about to go back here an update the thread with the news I've aquired. I now think there are better products out there than the two by M-Audio listed above. Edirol UA-25 being one of them. However, in a user review I read that the USB interface is USB 1.1 (rather than 2.0). Is that so? It is not clear from the Roland web site. As an alternative, I now consider the Presonus Firebox. It is more expensive than the Edirol. What worries me the most however is whether Firewire will be around when I need a new laptop, say, 3-4 years from now. And if the Firebox's version of FW (FW 400) will then work with FW 800 or whatever will be current at that point in the future.

Message 4/15             22-Nov-05  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: Soundcard for laptop (XP)

The Moujik

In a similar vein, you have the Edirol UA101 (USB2) and the Edirol FA66 (cut down version of the FA101 I think).

I also like the look of the Emu 1616 & Emu 1616M PCMCIA systems.

Message 5/15             22-Nov-05  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: Soundcard for laptop (XP)

Anders Klitgaard

The Moujik wrote:

In a similar vein, you have the Edirol UA101 (USB2) and the Edirol FA66 (cut down version of the FA101 I think).

I also like the look of the Emu 1616 & Emu 1616M PCMCIA systems.

Wow! Thanks a lot for telling me about those Emu systems. I didn't know soundcards were available with PCMCIA interface.
The UA101 is rather more expensive than the Firebox.
Just glancing at it, the FA66 seems as if it may be the Firebox's rival - they both have the Firewire interface and are priced about equally at Thomann. However, it is not a user favorite at MF, for what it's worth (only 3 ratings).
I'll take a closer look at the Emu systems. Surely, they must have been reviewed in the magazines. Does anyone know more on this? Thanks.

Message 6/15             22-Nov-05  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: Soundcard for laptop (XP)

The Moujik

The Emu cards got a very positive write-up in Sound On Sound magazine, which is how they came to my attention.

There are a few good PCMCIA cards available - the Echo Indigo range for example are very popular & reasonably priced. I have one myself.

Message 7/15             22-Nov-05  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: Soundcard for laptop (XP)

Anders Klitgaard

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. It is not one of those that are tested by EMU, cf. this page. Unfortunately, my PCMCIA controller isn't listed on this page. I have checked the user manual for the Dell Inspiron 600m, which has been verified to work with EMU 1616M. Like mine, it says: "Data width (maximum): 16 bits; CardBus 32 bits." I wonder if the 16 bits listed here means that the interface does not take the full advantage of the EMU's 24 bits...?

Message 8/15             22-Nov-05  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: Soundcard for laptop (XP)

The Moujik

I'm pretty sure one thing has nothing to do with the other; hopefully someone who knows more about it than me will come along & confirm...

Message 9/15             22-Nov-05  @  01:09 PM   -   RE: Soundcard for laptop (XP)

Anders Klitgaard

Hi Moujik
Have you seen the PM I sent you?

Message 10/15             22-Nov-05  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: Soundcard for laptop (XP)

k

Link?:  Link

surelythe datawidth is just about the bus (assuming it's dual by doubling the bandwidth per cycle using 2 halves of cycle wave?) that shouldn't effect the bitrate of the actual sample device (the unit itself) surely

no firewire on this lappy?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)