aaa SX3 Midi/Audion sync - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: SX3 Midi/Audion sync

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19             18-Jan-06  @  09:58 AM     Edit: 18-Jan-06  |  09:58 AM   -   SX3 Midi/Audio sync

jamestronic

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi

I've recently made the jump from a Windows98/Cubase VST 5 setup to a spanky new XP/SX3 on a new machine.

Few teething troubles - I'm losing sync with audio and midi (playing internally - Battery1/Arturia Moog)...

Can anyone help troubleshoot this... It was originally fine for a while (i've only worked on 3 tracks so far so for a good few sessions everything was OK) it seemed to start playing up after putting Waves R Comp on a group track - although I can't see why this would cause a midi sync problem.

WIndows XP Pro Service Pack2
Emu 1212m
Cubase SX3

I seem to remember there being a midi sync test you could run in previous versions of Cubase but cant find one in SX3. Help files aren't thowing any light.

If this has been covered in the forums previously - a quick pointer to relevent threads would suffice... the forum search hasn't yeilded anything so far.

Thank you in advance..

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             18-Jan-06  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: SX3 Midi/Audion sync

k

Link?:  Link

that old sync test was an old thing. I dont use cubase regularly but the sync slip is between plugins right?.. one of which is going to group and has a comp on it? that'd be group plugin delay. I haven't spent alot of time with sx3 but isn't there a delay compensator?

or do you mean the plugins are out of sync with something else besides themselves, such as external audio source?

this is assuming you have the right emu asio driver installed on your audio setup

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/19             18-Jan-06  @  10:42 AM   -   RE: SX3 Midi/Audion sync

jamestronic

thanks for reply...

Haven't exlained myself too clearly... Its a sync problem between the audio and midi. It sounds like the audio playback is OK but the midi (playing software sources - not external, which is why i mentioned it) is all over the place, occasionaly in/out which would suggest its not just a case of a delay compensation as its erratic and not just statically out of sync.

It was OK for a period (a good 4 or 5 sessions it was fine) which would suggest that maybe a sync/driver setting has been altered. Although, as I say, it seemed to start after sticking Waves R comp on a group track, although I think this is a red herring - I've removed the plug and still get the problem - in fact working on a whole new project also poses the same problem, it might be worth noting that when the audio and midi are bounced down to a single wav the timing is perfect. So it seems to be a playback issue.

Message 4/19             18-Jan-06  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: SX3 Midi/Audion sync

k

it might be worth noting that when the audio and midi are bounced down to a single wav the timing is perfect. So it seems to be a playback issue.

that's interesting - is this a 'dongle-less' version of cubase possibly?

there's no emu plugins added to your emu applet rack is there ?... i'm assuming you know how to use that applet properly although i cant say it would be an issue unless your groups and main outs are seperate & are getting mixed together in the emu routing applet and mebbe there's an issue there?

anyways, i dont really use sx3 as i say.. no probs with V2 tho, but i heard alot of probs with sx3 so decided not to bother cos frankly i dont need anything it's got. The freeze i dont need and the 'arrange-page editing' feature imo is next to useless

what happens if you permenetly de-install the WAVES stuff ? - actualy remove it from plugin lists AND the PC?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/19             18-Jan-06  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: SX3 Midi/Audion sync

jamestronic

I'll check the emu side of things.. tbh this is all new to me as well - this is why suggestions with troubleshooting would come in handy. Id imagine its set up to the factory default - as I've not really had a play with side of things yet. I'll look tonight.

Yes dongle-less version. Can this be a prob?

I'll try unistalling the waves stuff... why might that help?

Message 6/19             18-Jan-06  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: SX3 Midi/Audion sync

k

tbh this is all new to me as well

well then did you set the driver properly first?

in menu: Devices/device setup/vst multitrack

choose : E-MU ASIO

your clock rate ...well i personaly use 44.1 - that is set on the e-mu applet the patchbay applet (i've frgotten what it's called, lol, and i own one!.. heh)

anyways, the drivers, need to be right

as for the sx3, well tbh SX2 is so much leaner... legal or otherwise. In fact, is it still true that the cr*ck of sx3 is substantialy more able to handle larger loads due to the removal of a slew of protections built into every aspect of the programme?.. apparently the crackers said that, & earlier in the release period i did see reports online of people unable to load and run CPR's

which previously had been cpomposed and ran ok in sx2

anyways, i dont use sx enuff to justify the upgrade frankly, i'm a logic man meself.

Message 7/19             19-Jan-06  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: SX3 Midi/Audion sync

jamestronic

Well... ASIO drivers were ok - set the EMu patchmix thingy to a standard 44.1 stereo in out config and had a fiddle with latency timings - seems to be ok now.

Having another issue now though...

please excuse - I jst copied this from another forum post I made...

I have searched for this... but i'm not finding anything of use... I'd be happy with a link to a relevant thread if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I've recently bought a new PC (XP Pro SP2, Athlon 64 4000+, 4gig Ram, Asus A8v Motherboard, two fast 160gig HD's RAID striped, Emu 1212m - running SX3) and i'm having a few difficulties setting up.

So I have a project set up with 3 or 4 tracks of audio and 3 or 4 tracks of midi playing software (battery1, arturia moog, some of the native cubase synths). All with various plugs.

On playback - everything starts fine... one or two mins in the track playback begins to distort and fragment (very similar to a granular/timestretch effect) this gets progressively worse and louder until I reset the Emu ASIO Driver in Device Setup. This fixes the problem for another minute or two before the playback begins 'slipping' again and we get the 'granular distorting' happening again.

If it helps - this sounds similar to when I used to overload Cubase VST 5.1 on my old machine with too many softsynths/plugs etc.

CPU monitor is only hitting 25/30%.

All correct ASIO drivers are there - EMU patchmix applet set up to the 44.1kHz stereo in/out default setting - Cubase Clock source set to 'Internal'...

Anyone help me in troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance!

Message 8/19             19-Jan-06  @  09:29 PM   -   RE: SX3 Midi/Audion sync

k

blimey!... whats the pc spec?

Message 9/19             20-Jan-06  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: SX3 Midi/Audion sync

k

whoops, sorry, i didn't notice the specs you added. Well, you've got a problem of the worst kind cos it's not like "oh, doesnt work, wrong driver" or something, and worse you've got a pretty complxed machine which frankly is overkill with the raid (or did you do it for data reliability?) and sp2 is always an issue (for me anyways) which i tend not to add unless there's no way out cos some component requires it.

i think there's some issue with the emu driver.

whats the chipset on that board btw?.. oh hang on, i'll look it up... hmm, VIA K8T800 Pro

did you apply the VIA Hyperion patches for it? - via chipssets are reliable but you need to add the driver set. It's easy to run, and to de-install, you just run the driver again & it offers de-install for any added item

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1070

Message 10/19             20-Jan-06  @  10:39 AM   -   RE: SX3 Midi/Audion sync

jamestronic

thanks K...

can you briefly explain how this process might benefit me? Are these just up-to-date drivers for the Motherboard chipset?

Will try this...

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)