aaa Vista - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Vista

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             12-Feb-07  @  04:29 PM   -   Vista

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Anyone using Vista yet?

I've just been reading a report that states that Vista can check for AND NEGATE any dodgy software on your computer! Not just Microsoft stuff, but any unlicensed software. Not, of course, that this would cause me any personal worries, but it seems to be a serious infringement of our rights. Can Vista also check any confidential files I might have, such as work in progress and client lists etc?

If any of you PC fanatics can poo poo this with authority please do so.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             13-Feb-07  @  09:47 PM   -   RE: Vista

Bedwyr

wouldn't worry about it.

and i wouldn't touch vista until a service pack or two either.

Message 3/12             13-Feb-07  @  11:41 PM   -   RE: Vista

nme

Musineer Productions wrote:

Anyone using Vista yet?

Ive just been reading a report that states that Vista can check for AND NEGATE any dodgy software on your computer! Not just Microsoft stuff, but any unlicensed software. Not, of course, that this would cause me any personal worries, but it seems to be a serious infringement of our rights. Can Vista also check any confidential files I might have, such as work in progress and client lists etc?

If any of you PC fanatics can poo poo this with authority please do so.

Not sure of the ins & outs of Vista just yet, but I cant see how they would legally be able to gain access to things such as client lists (with out a court order) due to the Data Protection Act, so I wouldnt be too concerned on that score!

Message 4/12             20-Feb-07  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: Vista

Yonce N Mild

Link?:  No link

I think it's just Microsoft software that it can detect.

I wouldn't touch Vista for music, the only thing it might be good for is Media Center type stuff.

I set up a laptop for a side job I'm working on that had Vista on it and it was a dog! That laptop was twice the specs of my studio PC and it was WAY slower.

Even the latest and greatest hardware runs slower with Vista than it does with XP. Not to mention driver compatibility issues and the bugs that need working out.

That brand new laptop fresh from dell crashed the first time I tried to open the control panel, the cutesy little sidebar mac rip-off thingy crashed about every other reboot.

I won't touch it for a few year when hardware catches up and they are about 2 service packs in.

Message 5/12             21-Feb-07  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: Vista

k

Link?:  Link

dont see the point myself

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/12             21-Feb-07  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: Vista

milan

hey, by the time vista is working as it should be, the suitable pc's should become affordable too. maybe MS actually got it right this time?  

Message 7/12             23-Feb-07  @  12:17 AM     Edit: 23-Feb-07  |  12:18 AM   -   RE: Vista

sox

I get my new laptop tomorrow...

2.33 ghz Dual Core, 1gb ram, 512mb video card, 17" wide screen, numeric keypad, 4 USB ports, firewire, 100gb 7200rpm HD.
I ordered Vista Ultimate with it (a lot cheaper than getting it separately). I'll see how Cubase/FL Studio etc run. I wanna see if Hammerhead will run on it!
I'm actually looking forward to getting my head around Vista. Especially as I have to deal with the roll out whenever the office gets new PC's.

Same firm as I got the last one from, Rock It's actually on the A list for PC Pro magazine

sox

Message 8/12             23-Feb-07  @  10:30 AM   -   RE: Vista

k

Link?:  Link

sounds kewl Sox...

I was thinking, windows for workgroups 3.11.. and you can run it a dx4/100... uh-oh!.. here's win95, better upgrade to a pentium... uh-oh!, here comes win 98, better upgrade to a p3... oh-oh!, here somes winxp

will we ever get any more actual power? lol, seems like the OS keeps knocking us back like council tax rises

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/12             23-Feb-07  @  03:37 PM   -   RE: Vista

Yonce N Mild

sox@bluecarrots.com wrote:

I get my new laptop tomorrow...

2.33 ghz Dual Core, 1gb ram, 512mb video card, 17 wide screen, numeric keypad, 4 USB ports, firewire, 100gb 7200rpm HD.
I ordered Vista Ultimate with it (a lot cheaper than getting it separately). Ill see how Cubase/FL Studio etc run. I wanna see if Hammerhead will run on it!
Im actually looking forward to getting my head around Vista. Especially as I have to deal with the roll out whenever the office gets new PCs.

Same firm as I got the last one from, Rock Its actually on the A list for PC Pro magazine

sox

I'm in the same boat. We buy our PCs from Dell here at work so I'll be forced into it eventually. I have a copy of the enterprise version of Vista that I'm gonna dual boot to, but I'm hesitant to install it. My new laptop works perfectly and is screaming fast. I want to enjoy it for a while before I subject myself to Vista.

If you are a tech savvy type of guy prepare to be very annoyed. Vista wants to hold your hand the whole way through and it's hand is kinda clammy.

If you know XP you can find your way around Vista it just bugs the hell out of me that they have to change everything around and rename things. It's like they changed stuff just for the sake of changing it. For example what's wrong with calling the applet that you use to add and remove programs..........add or remove programs? Now it's called Programs and options. WTF?

I suppose I shouldn't complain too much if Microsoft didn't suck so hard guys like me would be out of a job.

Message 10/12             26-Feb-07  @  10:52 AM   -   RE: Vista

Zazza

I've been running Vista for a while (RTM final ultimate version) on a spare PC here (I need to for work) and I would say avoid it like the plague at the moment, especially for music software. I've tried running Logic (instant crash), Cubase (occasional crash) and a couple of other music programs.. all have issues of one sort or another.

A lot of drivers are incompatible/not Vista ready yet. I'd think that if you've got any music hardware that Vista drivers are likely to be non-existent/unstable for the moment.

And for performance, stick to XP for the moment, Vista is a dog... woof.

They say they took 5 years to write it, actually they spent 3 years writing the next gen windows and then threw it away and started again using Windows Server 2003 as a base. All the cool stuff; WinFS, .Net OS etc. got thrown away, so we are left with a new driver model, some security updates and transparent windows (yawn).

As I said, woof, woof.

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)