aaa Motu Ultralite Users - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

27-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Motu Ultralite Users

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             27-Apr-07  @  11:03 AM   -   Motu Ultralite Users

We Are Phunc

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Does anyone else use an ultralite? I've recently moved from a desktop with a Motu 24 i/o to a macbook with ultralite with SX. On playback the sound is going all over the place, constantly popping and breaking. It briefly mentions this in the manuals but basically just blames the harddrive and says you will have errors........but this is a brand new mac and the £30 soundblaster has no problems!

If anyone has any advice on settings to change please let me know!

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             27-Apr-07  @  12:08 PM   -   RE: Motu Ultralite Users

k

Link?:  Link

eh?.. a 30 soundblaster in a new mac?... is it? not a mac man myself, so cant advise. on a windows XP pc you'd check the following:

a conflict with any onboard audio device, driver allocation is correctly assigned in host sequencer, drive speed settings are set to correct udma and onboard chipset driver are installed properly, firewire speed patch (for sp2) is all ok, sample rate/bitrate isnt set to high, drive placement of the audio and defrag is all ok... in that order

i dunno about macs... i saw an advert on tv recently tho, where a happy british comedian comes out of a cardboard box and says he is a mac, and he ust work when you plug him in

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/12             27-Apr-07  @  03:13 PM   -   RE: Motu Ultralite Users

We Are Phunc

nooo....I have a USB soundblaster which is rigged up to the decks for recording mixes....that works fine with Cubase! I'll check some of the things you've put over the weekend, but as both of these are brand new I wouldn't be expecting to mess about with things just so it can play a track back without breaking up 30 times

Message 4/12             27-Apr-07  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: Motu Ultralite Users

k

agreed, but as i said those things above are pc things, on a mac i dunno what the situation is, i'd suggest you look up firewire speed issues with the mac in google

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/12             12-May-07  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: Motu Ultralite Users

Malcolm Jeffery

Have you tried to adjust the buffer settings for the motu from within your seq, i use logic and an
m-audio firewire 410 and apple g5 and if buffer settings are to low it will crackle so look for
buffer settings in driver panel for motu and see if that work, you may have to reload seq after to
initialize good luck
Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 6/12             12-May-07  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: Motu Ultralite Users

k

I've never really used firewire audio devices, I'm messing with that Liquidmix right now which is with us on loan, and the latency I'm finding has to be quite high for more than a few channels to work well, and thats with all the SP2 firewire fixes done, whereas pci devices in the same pc's can go down as low as 1ms latency without problems.

Is it always like this with firewire then? (higher latency that is) or does it depend on the device?... cos like with the emu 1820m I cant get it below 6ms without crackling, but the ESI stuff runs at 1MS, others typicaly will do 5ms latency such as m-audio audiophile or delta and staudio cport etc

i ask cos i'm getting 2 or 3 old G4's given to me soon and was wondering about an interface for at least one of them

but who knows cos firewire is similar to USB; on one education project i did we had 6 identical laptops, all brand new, and we also had 6 tascam USB 122's... 5 of them worked fine and one didnt, as I say on 6 identical brand new laptops.. odd, then on the g4's at college running edirol USB audio devices and logic pro they glitch when you do things with the s/w like adding a plugin and dont seem to run as stable as my old test amd2000xp with a pci audio device running Logic 5

Message 7/12             12-May-07  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: Motu Ultralite Users

k

seems to be quite a few probs reported with this device actualy - i read this:

If you go to www.unicornation.com and www.bigbluelounge.com and do a search for 'Ultralite', you'll find a group of people who are having the same audio problems I am. Some of them "acquired" the problems after updating their firmware from version 1.00 to 1.10. MOTU sent a few people (Mac users) a copy of the 1.00 firmware to "downgrade" back to 1.00 and their problems disappeared.

Message 8/12             12-May-07  @  02:26 PM   -   RE: Motu Ultralite Users

k

also found this:

Location: there is no location ***URGENT ALERT*** MOTU Ultralite Firmware Update... NO!!!!

If you own a MOTU UltraLite, there is a new firmware update available (v1.10) from MOTU....

***WARNING***
DO NOT install the new firmware!!!!!!!!

Apparently there's a glitch in the update, and quite a few people (myself included) have had their UltraLite virtually disabled by it. Bad damage can occur to your monitors due to random and *extreme* volume jumps....

Read about it here: http://www.unicornation.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17964&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 (you might need to register to read the forums... it's worth it if you're an UltraLite owner).

If you're one of the lucky ones who I caught in time, please check back... I'll post an "all clear" once MOTU addresses the issue..... [edit: apparently this isn't affecting everyone, as a number of people are also reporting 'no problems' with the update... hmmm...]

Anyway, if you're not one of the lucky ones... I feel your pain... Sad

I must say, this is the first time in the many years I've used their gear that I've had any kind of nastiness from a MOTU update like this. It was quite unexpected!

But, until it's fixed, I'm pretty much dead in the water... wow...... back to the old standby "Built-in Audio"! Wink

peace,
tribalogical

PS: Mods: please consider making this a temporary sticky? I think it's urgent enough to keep 'up front' until the problem gets sorted... danke...

Message 9/12             13-May-07  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: Motu Ultralite Users

Malcolm Jeffery

Hello kilo, with regards to the liquid mix you are testing would be extremly interested in the
testing of mac/logic/firewire sound card/and liquid mix as i was talking to another mac owner on
here and he said that liquid mix dont share well if say a firewire sound card is also on the same
firewire bus, he also tried many different firewire pci exspansion cards to no avail, i think
eventually for times sake he switched to a usb sound card and was p....d off with focusrite for
not warning people about such an issue!!!

But how does it sound man is it really analog sounding or emperors new cloths?

Cheers Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 10/12             13-May-07  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: Motu Ultralite Users

Malcolm Jeffery

Hello kilo, with regards to the liquid mix you are testing would be extremly interested in the
testing of mac/logic/firewire sound card/and liquid mix as i was talking to another mac owner on
here and he said that liquid mix dont share well if say a firewire sound card is also on the same
firewire bus, he also tried many different firewire pci exspansion cards to no avail, i think
eventually for times sake he switched to a usb sound card and was p....d off with focusrite for
not warning people about such an issue!!!

But how does it sound man is it really analog sounding or emperors new cloths?

Cheers Malk

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)