aaa 1980s - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: 1980s

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             14-Oct-10  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: 1980s

sitar

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Throughout the 80s I was full into playing the sitar. Classical Indian music was pretty much all I listened to but every now and then I wound up in a club with friends. There was a club in Manhattan called Visage where people got dressed to the hilt to go to and  I suppose the bouncers outside decided who got in. I was given a VIP pass to get in whenever I wanted. There was a club in midtown called Danceteria. Danceteria consisted of 3 floors. On one floor, I think it was the 2nd, there was rock music. One floor up war disco I think, and one floor up from that was techno. I didn't even know what techno was but I liked it and I remember not wanting to go back to the other floors after I got there with my friends. There was something about the beats and the sounds that I really dug.

Those clubs were far and few between for my attendance though. I wasn't accustomed to getting home at 5 AM. One Sunday morning I decide to go to the big Tower Records in the village to look for the kind of music I remember hearing in Danceteria. I tried to describe it to a couple of floor employees. They didn't seem to know what I was talking about and I couldn't really describe the music in any intelligible way. One finally said he thought he knew what I meant. I went home with a CD called "Disco" by Pet Shop Boys. It wasn't really what I was looking for but it had beats. It was too disco-y though. I remember 2 songs from that CD, "In the Night" and "West Side Girls". 

Soon I found a small vinyl shop. I left there with a vinyl by George Kranz called "Din Da Da". It also wasn't what I was looking for but I liked it.

I gave up looking. About a year before the 21st century a Brit friend turned me onto some music....Orbital, Underworld, the Chemical Brothers and others. I had forgotten about Din Da Da and my search for something I could only vaguely describe until a couple of nights ago when I made a post in the tracks forum and mentioned the song. Now I'm having fun writing tracks. Took me long enough hehe.   

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             14-Oct-10  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: 1980s

k

aww, sweet, hey, did u checkout the early detroit guys then, may, atkins etc? One of them had a dx100 with a fitted oberheim filter which used to do the rounds between a sort of inner-circle of guys and their studios apparently

i love te dx100 it reminds me of bashing out weird shit thru guitar amps in squats with tr606  etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/11             14-Oct-10  @  10:56 PM   -   RE: 1980s

xoxos

i haven't mucked with this for a while, it's got some improvements coming to it (hermite interpolation so the high notes sustain well) and this is a simple, core model.. no body resonance et c. yet. but the jawari model sort of does its thing.

http://www.xoxos.net/temp/sitar.wav (first note!)
http://www.xoxos.net/temp/sitar2.wav (mucking about with params)

if you're interested in having some single string samples fenangled out of you for analysis, that can happen.

my goal here is to stop people form using sitar samples in electronic music.. hearing the same sympathetic string swells makes me feel bad. and oc i can sell it.

atb to you,

Message 4/11             15-Oct-10  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: 1980s

sitar

Hey Xoxos! Jeez. I haven't touched a sitar in years. If I can suggest something that might be of help, make sure the portamentos happen between perfectly tuned notes. They can be diatonic or chromatic and realistically no farther apart from each other than the interval of a 5th. I think that will help in hearing how closely the sound replicates a sitar. The second sample (the long one) sounds closer I think. The fabled quarter tones are not really used in North Indian music which is what the sitar is traditionally used for. Any wavering of notes such as is done in Rag Darbari Kanada (the minor 6th and minor 3rd are always bent like a slow vibrato when played) is more like bending notes in the blues. 

The sitar samples I always hear are pretty much the same and sampled from the Ravi Shankar sound. If you go to youtube you can find videos of Nishat Khan, Vilayat Khan, Imrat Khan, and hear very different and less twangy sounding sitars. 

How are you? Good to see you're still getting your hands dirty on the knobs. 

Message 5/11             17-Oct-10  @  02:33 AM   -   RE: 1980s

xoxos

no more sitar?! :O

some interesting sitar tutorials on youtube, including one indian teacher with a very hypnotic gaze. it was the best way to get close ups of how the instrument is constructed.

i can't stand those ruddy samples.. 45 minute ambient track playing the same sympathetic string swell sample over and over again.. inspires me to keep going. these audio files are ~first steps, proof that the waveguide can achieve the twang.

i'm alright, i've been gang stalked for the last five years (i finally found out what it's called) which has been pretty amazingly miserable, but we know what happens to tyrants  

Message 6/11             17-Oct-10  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: 1980s

sitar

i can't stand the ruddy samples either. they're not deserving of the smapler hd space they take up. the sympathetic vibrations created by notes being played should not be really stand out of themselves on a sitar which has a good jawari done on both bridges. they should just sound enough to make the main note sound like it has more sustain and a slight sparkle. it would be kind of like a midi note with, i don't know...a velocity of 35 playing at the same time as a midi note with a velocity of 100+. it's there but it sounds like it's part of the loud note, not another note. comes down to a matter of degrees and taste. a tanpura produces enough sympathetic vibrations for the london friggin philharmonic. 

sorry to hear about the stalking crap. i can't imagine. down with tyrants!

Message 7/11             17-Oct-10  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: 1980s

Malcolm Jeffery

Hello Xoxos, Gang Stalking whats that?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 8/11             21-Oct-10  @  08:11 PM   -   RE: 1980s

Malcolm Jeffery

Ok just googled that crap, are you ok?, did anything get done about it, has it stopped?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 9/11             22-Oct-10  @  10:17 PM   -   RE: 1980s

k

sounds like when you get chased by an aggressive bunch of rhubarb

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/11             23-Oct-10  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: 1980s

sitar

k wrote:

sounds like when you get chased by an aggressive bunch of rhubarb

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)