aaa SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19             06-Feb-99  @  01:43 AM   -   SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

josgc

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I know this question appears in other mails posted to the forum, but I think this is enough important to be taken appart; the fact is that it is virtually impossible to simulate gating effects via midi -which can be done through quick changes on the volume levels, controller 7-, because when done the supernova produces a disagreadable series of clicks which makes the sound useless. And this is not about little noise: all the sound is masked by the noise. I work with other synths and no one did this under the same conditions, so Iīm really questioning myself if this synth really deserves the standing it has. I donīt know if this problem can be solved, and even in that case I doubt if I would live enough to see an OS capable of solving it; all that I can say is that Iīm very dissapointed with the results Iīm obtaining of a machine that is said to be very flexible but proves to be as flexible as an iron bar... (no, I never tried to melt it yet). Talking seriously, this is very frustrating. When I play the piano I donīt have to care about strings braking everytime so that I can concentrate myself on the music, and thatīs the only thing I want from the supernova. Reliability.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             06-Feb-99  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

Johnny89

Wow, it sounds like you're getting digital zipper noise, a common flaw in digital sound construction that happens with digital recording equipment as well. This could be an isolated case, perhaps you should call tech support and ask to have the unit checked.

Message 3/19             07-Feb-99  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

josgc

Well, it may be zipper noise, but the clicks I described appear only when I used the midi gating effect. Other clicks appeared as well when using the unit, but only under specific conditons, specially when using sounds with reverb and using some arp. sounds like A001:The Roboter. As other people have been describing this problems, I thought it was some kind of trouble with the OS, not with the hardware. I think it wonīt be a bad idea if Novation used this forum to give users an explanation about what is going on with all this clicking just to clarify whether this can be solved with an upgrade of the OS or itīs more serious.

Message 4/19             08-Feb-99  @  01:23 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

Phill

This is not zipper...

I suspect it may be because the SN is switching the sound off instantly. This will produce a click which will be translated into "Noise" if the reverb is on.

I will examine and advise.

Phill@Novation

Message 5/19             10-Feb-99  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

Kinetik

I disagree with Phill, this problem does indeed appear to be probably due to zippering. This is being investigated at the moment. If it turns out that this is indeed the case, it will most certainly be sorted by OS3.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Message 6/19             11-Feb-99  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

josgc

As far as I can understand, things arenīt very clear about the fact of being zipper noise or not... what I can say about my case is that it doesnīt appear in every sound and that clicks are somehow related to volume changes and to the delay effect. I will patiently wait till I have OS3 installed, to see if it solves the problem; but I question myself what will happen if things donīt change... if I knew it was a software problem I would wait; what worries me is not knowing exactly what to do about it. And another question: how many people is having this problem? If it was a software problem, I think that everyone should have it, so I encourage people to write here and tell their experiences about it and Novationīs crew to give their opinion about it.

Message 7/19             12-Feb-99  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

Michio from Japan

I have the same problem.

I'm happy this problem is now discussed by many people seriously.

Message 8/19             15-Feb-99  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

mike.clarke

I was about to moan about a similar thing so I thought I may as well put it in this thread.

This clicking problem....I have a BIG problem with it. Note that with OS1 there are no problems (apart from it crashing 3 times).

If I go into performance mode and change the performance number I get a HUGE click.

Sometimes it gets stuck in a situation where if I change programs or change a program inside a performance I get a HUGE click. If I switch off and then on again it stops (but still clicks when changing performances).

Also, sometimes when I am simply playing a sound I will get an even BIGGER click about half a second after I stop playing.

I can send an MP3 of the sounds if you want to hear it.

MikeC

Message 9/19             15-Feb-99  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

josgc

Maybe that idea of sending mp3 files where the clicks can be heard will be interesting... but, as I said in my last mail, if it is a software problem everyone with OS2 installed should be experiencing the same clicks, so people in Novation must know exactly how do the clicks sound without us sending anything. However, maybe sending that sound files would help them to clarify what clicks are made due to hard and what due to software problems, then to make a list of differences between the two types of clicking so that they can tell users what to do with their machines. I will be of course pleased to help on whatever I can; now, itīs their time to say if this will help or if it is unnecessary.

Message 10/19             16-Feb-99  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA AND MIDI GATING- CLICK!

Phill

Please identify the following:

The Program you switched from and to. Is this repeatable? i.e. does it do it every time between these two programs? What OS version are you running?

Please send short ( less than 1 meg if poss )MP3 to sales@novationuk.com so I can check it out.

Cheers.
Phill@Novation

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)