aaa Supernova vs Microwave XT? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Supernova vs Microwave XT?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             09-Feb-99  @  11:15 PM   -   Supernova vs Microwave XT?

pelle

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm trying to decide between Supernova and MicrowaveXT.
But, I have not heard either one of these. I realize the final decision should be made based on the sound and not specs alone. So, if any one out there has both of these or have played or heard these two synths, I would appreciate an honest opinion based on sound.
What I'm looking for is fast /sub sounding bass sounds as in Mini Moog or SE-1. And realistic analog type sounds.
Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             10-Feb-99  @  09:00 AM   -   RE: Supernova vs Microwave XT?

trancer

I think that you can't compare these two synths since they have a very different character. The Microwave is a wavetable synth which gives him a very own sound. I don't think that you'll be able to simulate other Instruments with it.

If you are looking for a substitute for vintage analog synths you'd better choose the SN. If you're looking for a sharp sounding synth with own character you'd better buy a Microwave.

In my opinion these two synths compliment one another 'cause they are very different and they're no "rivals".

Message 3/13             10-Feb-99  @  09:03 AM   -   RE: Supernova vs Microwave XT?

willy

I don't have any experiance of the microwave xt but it does look like a good is a bit complex synth. If you want wavetable synthesis then this is your obvious choice. However i have had a couple of weeks with my supernova and it is sounding better all the time. One you figure out the midi implementation it really takes on a life of it's own. If its analogue sounds that your after i would go for the supernova as it is as near as you'll get to eight polyphonic analogue synths with multi effects as your ever likely to get and i think don't think that there is much difference in price either. I hope this helps.

cheers willy

Message 4/13             10-Feb-99  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: Supernova vs Microwave XT?

I too had the same choice to make a few months ago.

I only make Goa Trance, and this machine is made for it!

If i had the choice again i would without a doubt buy the Supernova. It sounds incredible. The demos of the Supernova that are out there really doesnt do this synth justice.

If you want to save some money, and can manage without som of the buttons and fewer voices, look at Nova.

//SwampMan

Message 5/13             10-Feb-99  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: Supernova vs Microwave XT?

pelle

Thanks for the feedback.
I guess I'll have to wait until somebody out here in CA gets one of these things. They're always trying to push the cheesy sounding trash they have in stock as in Roland, Korg, Yamaha.
I kind of hesitate about getting the SN based on all these reported problems that need constant OS upgrade.
But maybe that's with all the synths these days.

Message 6/13             10-Feb-99  @  10:39 PM   -   RE: Supernova vs Microwave XT?

Scott

Hey pelle, just wait for the Nova! It will probably be more "solid" than the Supernova, in terms of bugs and such. Cheaper, better looking, vocoder, mmm-mmm!

Scott
skbasu@acsu.buffalo.edu

Message 7/13             10-Feb-99  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: Supernova vs Microwave XT?

Mickey

Mmmmh... the vocoder... the external inputs... any chance of a hardware-upgrade for my Supernova ?

*just-cant-get-enough*   - Mickey.

Message 8/13             11-Feb-99  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: Supernova vs Microwave XT?

Yes, a hardware upgrade would be greatly appreciated! I'd gladly give up two outputs for two inputs, if that was the only way to go. It's rather silly trying & justify all the extra money for a Supernova when you get practically the same thing with the Nova. Let's see, is it worth an extra $1000 dollars for 2 more effects, two more outputs, two more parts, two more banks & a few more knobs? I could buy ANOTHER Nova instead! What's wrong with this picture???

Message 9/13             11-Feb-99  @  06:43 AM   -   RE: Supernova vs Microwave XT?

pelle

I was thinking the same thing myself Scott. Go for the nova. Mean while settle for the Microwave XT?.
Let's see that's about $$2200-2400. Not too bad for two synths.

Message 10/13             11-Feb-99  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: Supernova vs Microwave XT?

Phil

I've got both. The SN will
sound like ANY vintage analog
ever made, as well as doing some new things very well. The XT is simply in a class all it's own. NOTHING sounds like it and hopefully never will. Both are great for most modern music makers.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)