aaa The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

12-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             14-Feb-99  @  06:26 AM   -   The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I saw the OS 3 specs and hadn't noticed much of anything concerning the rectification of the noisy, "clicking" sounds the Novation Supernova makes when the effects on the unit are placed at a slightly higher setting.

This also was brought out in the KEYBOARD review Zon Pyles did on the unit early this year.

Is Novation going to concentrate on making the effects of the Supernova cleaner or is all the concentration now falling to the more affordable Nova Synth?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             15-Feb-99  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Spike

Said like someone who doesn't own one but probably works for the opposition

Message 3/24             15-Feb-99  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

a punter

heh heh..... agreed, mine doesnt do that

Message 4/24             15-Feb-99  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Phill

We are going to release OS3 as soon as possible...Clicking is due to the delay when placed in MIDI Clock sync...This was improoved with V2 and is Eliminated on OS3.

You can get around this by simply turning the clock off in your sequencer. SN will remember the correct delay settings and will not click.

Sorry to see your all "Shitty"

Phill@Novation

Message 5/24             18-Feb-99  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

I do own one, and found it annoying that this was happening SPIKE.

No one should pay that much money for a rackmount blue box and get crap.

My expectations weren't met, nor was my email answered concerning the issue when I first bought the instrument.

I'm glad, though, that my post finally got a response, PHIL, and, again, Phil, one shouldn't pay $2200 for crap when one doesn't have to, n'est-ce pas?

I spent $1100 on a JP-8080 by Roland, and haven't had any issues with it's sound quality.

So, I'm not all "shitty". Your product, at the moment, is.

Message 6/24             19-Feb-99  @  07:54 AM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

SPIKE

As you do own one "no-name" I apologise. Sorry

Message 7/24             19-Feb-99  @  10:42 AM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Phill

We do try to answer all email. I get it all the time and I am all over this forum...maybe you sent to to the wrong address?

Sorry you feel upset...

We are going as fast as we can. We do not want to release a New OS untested with perhaps bugs in it.

Cheers,
Phill

Message 8/24             19-Feb-99  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Paul

Spike, why appologise, this kind of attitude is completely unacceptable. If you don't like your synth and you think it's has technical problems that you find unacceptable just ask for your money back, the law is on your side and it's actually quite easy to do this if you go about it in the right way.

It seems to me that Phil has indicated a solution to the problem and has also said that it will be fixed in the next release. Every piece of high tech equipement has these kinds of problems and it is a positve reflection on Novation that they are willing to discuss and, more importantly, resolve these kinds of issues.

Have you ever tried to enter into this kind of discussion with Roland or, even worse, Steinberg ?. I'm glad your happy with the sound of you JP8080, personally I think it's massively overated.

Paul.

Message 9/24             19-Feb-99  @  10:15 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Phill

Paul ... I Thank you for input..we are really trying and as disclosed on the site we are responding to any input..

I have loads of olde analogue stuff and that really annoys me sometimes...out of tune...MIDI implementation that could be questioned...Bugs...etc.

We are crackin it...

Web will deliver...Much More than you expect...

Check Products..Wot dat

Phill@Novation

Message 10/24             21-Feb-99  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

jangley

Hi

I hate to say it, but I also think that the effects of the SN are a bit of a let-down, espcially the delay:

- There's no life and clarity in the effects - even a simple delay outboard unit seems to have more sparkle than the SN's, even with no HF damp.

- What on earth are the units, anyway? I'm used to setting the delay in ms - could you at least publish some conversion table?

- Howabout some cross-over feedback for a stereo delay? Or a ping-pong delay.

As far as the source sound the unit produces is concerned - well, it's great. But the overall sound you hear on a recording is generally half source, half effects. I don't expect the SN to be both an 8-part multi-timbral analogue AND an effects unit in one, but having the CPU running around doing all 7-odd effects simultaneously with mediocre results seems a bit strange when it could be doing just 2 or 3 very clearly.

(For the record, I too think that the effects in the JP are better-sounding. And I don't work for Roland - it's just my opinion.)

Thanks for listening

J

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)