aaa Whats Happening at Frankfurt? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/31             28-Feb-99  @  04:02 PM   -   Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Willy

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Something big is going down at Frankfurt. Is it just a new OS or is their something more sinister. A hardware upgrade perhaps? Any ideas?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/31             01-Mar-99  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Mickey

No idea - really... I can't believe that it is a hardware upgrade. AFAIK it is not possible to use outputs as inputs. What I could think of is maybe a modified version of the 16 voice expansion board. But how could this bring additional inputs ? ... Well - let's wait some more hours... that is... a minimum of 48...  

Mickey.

Message 3/31             05-Mar-99  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

erik.flister

i have a friend who works at emu, actually specifically on some I/O for their products. she says there's no reason at all that novation couldn't have built some of the outputs to also work as inputs. obviously, the OS upgrade would be necessary to take advantage of any "secret" inputs.

let's hope novation was this smart, cuz i wasn't too happy that they built a vocoder into the cheaper nova a week after i paid US$2200 for my supernova32.

what's with all this effort they've been putting into a keyboard version of the supernova? was there any demand? who has room (or need) for another keyboard? i would much prefer that they focussed on new and better OS's.

Message 4/31             06-Mar-99  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Willy

Here Here!!

Message 5/31             06-Mar-99  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

lostwire

Just read this @ Sonic State: "As for OS3.0 for the Supernova. It gives regular users (16voices) 20 voices, and with the voice expension you get 40 instead of 32 voices. Other features include the fact that you now can route the effects the way you like". Sounds nice but what about the vocoder & the audio inputs? It would be a HUGE mistake for Novation not to offer that as an upgrade.

Message 6/31             06-Mar-99  @  10:15 PM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

strippler

HUGE mistake ?
Does someone really miss a vocoder ? If yes, why ? I played along with my new Virus-vocoder for an hour, really funny ...

Message 7/31             07-Mar-99  @  04:49 PM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

punter

some people just like to complain....they go round the newsgroups & forums complaining & moaning... if it had a vocoder, they'd be banging on that it doesnt sample & why not... or that it isnt a 16 track recorder as welll... blah blah.... how come no-ones complaining that as a multitimbrel synth it doesnt have a drum channel???...

as for the keyboard version... if nova released a keyboard first, they'd be complaining that the new rack version is cheaper... and why weren't they told a rack was coming out etc etc.... I'd say for performers, a Super-nova keyboard would be a must... ever tried playing live with patched in controllers in a multi-keyboard setup ????.... nuff-said//... as for the audio inputs, i have 3 synths that allow audio in , never used it on any of them......

finally, i sometimes think some people forget or have no experience of synths going back a few years... paying 2200 & more, ... not for a supernova, but for a box/rack with card expansion to save edits at 250 per throw.... cursors & menu's to edit....restricted effects inmulti-mode.. (simply - no use at all).... steppy digital synthesis & filters etc, no onbaord controlllers, plus a brain-surgery to edit & create new sounds quickly....

so lets get real... it's so simple to knock things... The Supernova gives you a huge multisynth for studio or live... all the sounds you want... amazingly fast & creative sound editing & creation...... in a live context or studio, no need for a mixer & several multi-fx units to use in multimode....all in all....well, synth of the year basically... probably of the decade i'd say... I think basically, Novation's effort will alter the entire industry... it already has in fact....

Message 8/31             08-Mar-99  @  01:17 AM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

lostwire

Punter-

Nice try simply brushing me off as a "complainer", but I rarely complain about anything & I feel my complaint (lack of Vocoder/audio inputs) is justified."as for the keyboard version... if nova released a keyboard first,
they'd be complaining that the new rack version is cheaper..." I've never heard something so completely ridiculous! Who in their right mind would expect a keyboard to be cheaper then a rack? By the way, I've been programming synths for 17 years now & have spent in the neighborhood of $50,000 for my equipment over the years. I'm not offering that information to brag, just to show you how far off you are in your estimation. The Supernova is a wonderful synth, but synth of the year? I'd agree with you for 1998, but not this year. Aren't you familiar with Waldorf's Q?

Message 9/31             08-Mar-99  @  09:11 AM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

I just keep reading about how the OS is "being released" or "is released", yet I've found nothing.

Plus, having bought the Supernova for $2100, and now seeing that for the same, I could have gotten the 32 voice version is a bit annoying.

It seems the delay in releasing the OS upgrade hasn't been trying to "perfect" it. Rather, it seems like the delay has everything to do with releasing a keyboard version of the Supernova and this other Nova synth.

It sounds like a bottom line issue.

Message 10/31             08-Mar-99  @  11:57 AM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Stefan

Synthesizers are computers nowadays.
I purchased my SN last year together with a Pentium II 400 Mhz PC.
Today i'd get the 32 voice SN for the same price but 2 and a half PCs.

Greets

Stefan

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)