aaa Open Source - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Open Source

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             12-Mar-99  @  02:44 PM   -   Open Source

swarm

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Have you considered making your code open or semi open source? That would greatly expand the number of heads working at making your code tight, feature rich and bugfree. Also, if some one really wanted something unique, they could put it in.

Also, getting the rep of being the linux of synths couldn't be a bad thing.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             12-Mar-99  @  03:17 PM   -   RE: Open Source

nihal

Good idea....

nihal

Message 3/23             13-Mar-99  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: Open Source

Jangley

This really does seem to be a good idea to me. I can understand that Novation might be a bit protective of its ASM engine, but not making it public hardly prevents competitors like Roland, Korg, Clavia, Yamaha, etc from getting hold of the product and reverse engineering it - decompilers aren't exactly rocket science.

If it was a classic analogue and I knew enough electronics I'd do all kinds of mods to it - some people already do (eg Kenton). Circuit diagrams for servicing these things are available - I even know someone who built a TB-303 from diagrams he got off Analogue Heaven.

So could we have a look at the source for the ASM engine and its compiler. All the Open Source arguments apply - you get a lot of people working for nothing fixing some of those annoying problems.

Right, I'll get down off my soap box now.

J

Message 4/23             13-Mar-99  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: Open Source

fin

How many other users of this forum are software designers/engineers like myself? I'm talking Assembler/C++ engineers.

I'd just be interested to know because I really do think the open source idea is a good one.

However, I do think they'd have to keep a certain amount of the core engine closed.

But at least it would be nice to be able to work it like a "plug-in" type model.

"Linux of the synth world" - that's a very neat idea!

I'd love to get my mitts into the OS.

Question to Novation then: How many engineers code the OS?

Sorry to be so bloody boring  

Thx - Fin

Message 5/23             13-Mar-99  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: Open Source

Muffy

I wouldn't mind having a look at the code (for curiosities sake more than anything else). I'm not sure though about third parties making changes to the code......When Novation release a genuine OS upgrade, many people would have different versions and would loose any mods they had done themselves unless there was some sort of 'merge' facility - and that _would_ be complex to program.

Message 6/23             16-Mar-99  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: Open Source

swarm

It would be no more complex than Linux's merge is. Mods submitted to a core review group. Even numbers are "stable," odd are "beta" and mods not in a release are "on your own" but anyone making their own mods isn't going to let that slow them down. ;) If effects were structured as plug ins, then there are x hot in the machine from an unlimited number downloadable via sysex. Need a really, really good reverb and don't care about ping pong? No problem.

Message 7/23             16-Mar-99  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: Open Source

Phill

Sorry to put a downer on this one but we will not release the source code.

The Supernova's synthesis engine is carefully engineered so that the maximum piplining is poossible.

Having plugin's etc would ruin this process and make the code very ineffeicent.

Great idea but practically it would not work.

For the same reasons mods to the code to customise it would result in the same problem.

Phill@Novation

Message 8/23             16-Mar-99  @  07:43 PM   -   RE: Open Source

fin

HMmmm. I guess you can't argue with a company for not realasing the source code for their DSP engine, but the idea was bloody great.

Also, I think it's a touch unfair to assume that some of us would not be capable of maintaining the degree of optimisation within the code - for not busting up the pipeline etc...

Oh well. Novation have a outwardly impressive engine - who can blame them for holding on tight?

Fin.

Message 9/23             16-Mar-99  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: Open Source

stevoe

Rather than making the code open to everyone to muck about with, how about getting involved with the Creamware boys and start developing modular Supernova's or something for their Scope/Pulsar system. The possibilities with that system are pretty unique at the moment and very exciting, I for one would love to see some Novation oscillators with all the skewing and soften facilities in a modular system. How about it Phill?

Message 10/23             17-Mar-99  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: Open Source

Phill

They use different DSP's...and it aint that simple to just swap over...

We currently have no plans to do this.

Sorry John if your out there!!

Phill@Novation

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)