aaa is the nova silly?:o) - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: is the nova silly?:o)

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/18             23-Dec-99  @  07:15 AM   -   is the nova silly?:o)

moiroud

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi!
I just got my nova yesterday,and of course I LOVE it.
Ok,now here are some nice boring questions you all nova users must have answers to.:o)
Actually I'm using cakewalk's instrument definition for the the nova.So far,nothing wrong.
BUT how come I'm forced to use the performance mode to use the nova as a multitimbral instrument?
What I mean is that a multimbral setup forces me to create a NEW performance and of course SAVE IT,which implies erasing a factory performance.I still want these performances for the moment though.So how come I can't use different programs set to different midi channels without using a performance????????
For example,when I want to use different sounds from my MC505, I just set the correct patch in cakewalk,its midi channel and that's it.
With the Nova, it seems you can't do it that way:if I set the patch in cakewalk and give it a midi channel, I can't use other programs at the same time....The only way to do this is use the performance mode.
I read 20 times the manual and I can't believe this.Am I missing something?
Thanks for answering those basic questions.....and merry christmas to all of you!:o)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             23-Dec-99  @  08:18 AM   -   RE: is the nova silly?:o)

Swift

Use Performance number A126.
This is called Multi Ch 1-6(I think, I am not in front of it now but it tells you how in the manual).

Message 3/18             23-Dec-99  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: is the nova silly?:o)

Stefan

Sounds like the MC 505 is always in performance mode ;-)

Message 4/18             23-Dec-99  @  09:35 AM   -   RE: is the nova silly?:o)

moiroud

I'm already using perf multi 1-16 but how come if I'm working on more than one project at a time?
Anyway,thanks for helping me.

Message 5/18             23-Dec-99  @  09:48 AM   -   RE: is the nova silly?:o)

moiroud

By the way,the MC505 isn't really working like a nova.Actually, the MC505 is more like a box full of sounds(well,the nova is but...) in which you choose a sound you like and assign it to a channel(well,it's still the same on the nova BUT!!).The sequencer then keeps in its memory what patch you chose for each track and each time you boot your computer and start a new session,it will remember what patches were assigned to what channels.The performance mode of the nova doesn't allow you to do so.Instead,it forces you to save each performance you created in the unit but doesn't let the sequencer do the job.That wouldn't be a problem if there was some more memory in the nova.....
Hope I was clear enough...:o)

Message 6/18             23-Dec-99  @  10:19 AM   -   RE: is the nova silly?:o)

SayerSeely

Link?: Link

Hi, I am also a new Nova owner, 3 days now!

You should be able reuse performance 126 for each song. If you do all of your patch, panning, and volume assignments in Cakewalk then the only things you have to worry about are the arp and vocoder and custom effect changes. If you setup a studio panel to handle these, then all of the parameters should be captured in the sequence .WRK file.

Another option is to set the performance up and then save it to the Cakewalk sysex area. Each song will have it's performance data saved with it and then you can set it to automatically send to the Nova when you open the song in Cakewalk. I do this for my Alesis Quadrasynth. Are there dump request macros available for the Nova?

Message 7/18             23-Dec-99  @  11:57 AM   -   RE: is the nova silly?:o)

fvicente

Hi,

The Nova (I own a Supernova which is basically the same thing) will work with that performance. However, one thing to remember is that you need a different global midi channel than 1-6. Choose 16 or 15 or 14, etc. If you use a global channel between 1 and 6, when you send a program change on that channel, it will change the performance to whatever your program change was.

Use the global channel for sending sysex parameters and whatnot and then use midi channels 1 thru 6 to select the programs.

HTH and Merry Christmas

Fernando

Message 8/18             23-Dec-99  @  03:42 PM   -   RE: is the nova silly?:o)

Stefan

moiroud,

i still do not see a difference between the 2 concepts you describe.
If you use or create a performance (e.g. MulitCh1-8PartFx)with different midi channels for each part you can do exactly the same with your sequencer. You can choose the sounds with the seqeuncers programm and bank change messages and save them with your song.
Or you can setup your performance on the nova and send it via sysex transmission / Single performance to your sequencer. Afterwards you can save the sysex data with your song.

Regards Stefan

Message 9/18             23-Dec-99  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: is the nova silly?:o)

moiroud

Well, I'm having trouble receiving those sysex with cakewalk.Actually, I don't really know how to send the parameters of my performance to my sequencer:when I did a sysex transmission to my computer, I chose the option "single performance" in the global menu of the nova.In CW, I chose the sysex view and went to the "receive" menu.Since the nova is not listed I clicked on "you start dump on your instrument".Then I pressed the midi button on the nova and the file was received in CW.I set that message to the correct port and even selected "automatic" so that the message is automatically sent to the nova everytime I open the project.Yet, the performance I set is still not recognised(it is still the basic perf 126).
Am I doing something wrong?
How do you guys manage to use a perf without saving it in the nova?

I'm really sorry to bother you with that stuff,but things are pretty unclear to me at the present time.So what's the point of sending a program change message to the nova if I want to play more than a sound at a time?Same for bank change messages.
With the mc505,all I had to do was set the patch in CW thanks to the instrument definition and voila!No sysex and stuff like that to send!
So why is the structure of the nova that weird (at least to my opinion...:o) )?With the nova, I have to set the first track of the sequencer to perf and choose patch 126(channel 1),then set the correct program on the nova for channel 1.The other programs of the perf are selected normally using the the instrument definition in CW.
Last but not least, I'd like to tell Novation how much their manual SUCKS.Come on guys, I never read crap like that.The french translation doesn't mean anything!!Where the hell did you get that translater?????Now I'm forced to go with the english manual and it really starts pissing me off (please no more "as you can see" grrrrr...)
Well,sorry for the off topic but I guess I wouldn't be bothering you with so basic questions if Novation(or the firm which is importing their products in France...If it's so, you'd better get your hands on that manual to see that I'm not overstating...)had done a better job.

Message 10/18             23-Dec-99  @  06:13 PM   -   RE: is the nova silly?:o)

sitar

Link?:  Link

I think that fvicente hit the nail on the head. I own a Supernova, but I've also heard that they are very much the same. After you power up, hit the Global button. Then page down (on the Supernova anyway) to "Global MIDI chan". Change it from 1 to 16 or any number which is higher than the number of parts you have on the Nova. make sure that your Local Control, also in Global is "On" before doing this so that the change will take effect. You should be able to use any Performance. The beauty of the Nova/Supernova is that the Performance effects do not overide the effects of the individual parts. When you choose programs using Cakewalk, Cake will remember however it is you save the project when you close it. Now when you go back to it the next day, do the same with the Nova and then open the Cakewalk project. When you hit play, voila. You don't have to overwrite any programs until you want to. You might find that you have to power up the Nova before opening the Cake project but I don't think so. Something like that was an issue with me when I was first using the Supernova but I have since sorted it out. I can't remember what was the cause, but I mention it here just in case that is creating you r difficulty. It doesn't matter anymore which I power up first. Hope that helps.

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)