aaa Presets that really do please.... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Presets that really do please....

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             23-Dec-99  @  08:33 PM   -   Phill - Presets that are really spot on..

V

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

1. Phill, I absolutely love the proggie A007(FM EP) on the Nova! DX has nothing over you on this on mate  

and comments:

2. Release and aftertouch are too few and far between on the sound set. (It seems) A lot of patches do not have aftertouch programmed in. A007 is increadibly responsive, while others have no aftertouch dynamics.

3. The reverb - while most of us will not use it (esp O1V users), its' algorithm could be improved greatly.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             24-Dec-99  @  05:45 AM   -   RE: Presets that really do please....

Phill

Allways up for suggestions...

Please advise the type of sounds you would like?

Message 3/11             28-Dec-99  @  08:51 PM   -   RE: Presets that really do please....

V

ya Phill, after some close listening, the 'verb really needs some rework mate.

also, can you put together some prophet5; arp2600 sounds ?   (self osc'tor patches?)

cheers,

V

Message 4/11             29-Dec-99  @  12:17 PM   -   RE: Presets that really do please....

rt

okay, going into dreamland here. Filled with guilt, though, because I feel _anything_ I ask for, well, if I want it, I should figure out how to make it for myself! So this is kind of lazy dreaming, I guess..... for those days when I just want to push a button and start tinkling (somewhere _other_ than the WC, that is):

Emulations -- close is as good as a Jamaican cigar (near Cuba): OSCar, Prophet VS, Mellotron, and here's the ultimate challenge: a flute. Synth flute is nigh impossible, how close can you get? Spent a weekend trying, myself, with mixed/typical results. CS-80 strings. Well, most of these are probably already there, pardon my memory, it's about on par with a cockatiel's.

Memorable Sounds -- there's this _SYNTH_ sound which for me is almost a defining synth sound, in the movie (the original, from the 80's) "Neverending Story" -- I'd like one of those, please, with ketchup on it (catch: you have to watch the movie and guess what I'm talking about); I would ask for a Lucky Man but you've already done that (and it's been done to death), ditto the synth line on Won't Get Fooled Again (Who's Next); the BASS line on almost any Redman track.

Someone do better than this, please!  

rt

Message 5/11             30-Dec-99  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: Presets that really do please....

waldorfq

what about a vintage bank with synyhs like ARP 2600/synthex/minimoog/memorymoog/prophet 5/OBXA/cs 80/MKS 80/matrix 12=
leads,
bass,
poly,
brass,
strings,
sfx,
pads,
sweeps,

Message 6/11             30-Dec-99  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: Presets that really do please....

V

Sorry for the previous, its just that I thought the Nova would shag me ears better then me MKS-70  When changing Resi' the grit of a VA just isn't there. (hehe, don't frown Phill,I still think ASM kicks out some tuff sounds  

But a good kit is like a Swiss Army Knife   you need a special tool pry open some ears, use the Nova, BUT, if you need to "Open up a can of 'WhoopAss' use a good analogue, pure electricity.

Have a great new year!

Regards,

V

Message 7/11             30-Dec-99  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: Presets that really do please....

SayerSeely

Link?: Link

Hey V,

I picked up an MKS-70 not too long ago but haven't used it much. Do you use sysex to control the resonance in a sequence or do you have a dedicated programmer for it?

Do you have any sounds your willing to share?

Lastly, have you been able to load up the MKS-70 bank available on the web called "LFO Experiences"? I have tried, but cannot get it to load successfully.

I haven't touched the MKS-70 since I got the Nova.

Thanks,

Sayer

Message 8/11             31-Dec-99  @  12:09 PM   -   RE: Presets that really do please....

V

warning - I am not a good speller 

Hi Sayer,

"I picked up an MKS-70 not too long ago but haven't used it much. Do you use sysex to control the resonance in a sequence or do you have a dedicated programmer for it?"

- PG800 now, but sysex in VST soon. The SuperJx isn't gm spec (I don't think) so its controllers might need numerical manipulation/translation which VST does.

Do you have any sounds your willing to share?

- I have one 64 patch cart of professionaly done patches:

http://www.kidnepro.com/KN/mks70_list.html.

Yes, I am willing to share but the $90? dollars(usually no one sells separately)is worth the cart IMHO, ergo, 64 int, 64 ext and the patches really will shag yer ears.

request to: fastbikes@netscape.net
_________

Lastly, have you been able to load up the MKS-70 bank available on the web called "LFO Experiences"? I have tried, but cannot get it to load successfully.

- Yes, all patchdumps should work on a Creative Labs midi'd cards(the dump program was built on this card).! My friend has a Wavecenter card which he *cannot* do a patch dump to the MKS, so this is somewhat true.

The proggie below is great but tricky! (rtm on this one)

http://members.iquest.net/~twilight/pc.html
_________

I haven't touched the MKS-70 since I got the Nova.

- Hmm, rediscover this beast! I use it just to make the neigbors dog bark like he's a nutter!JJ Spend an entire week with ALL of your synths, nothing else, get to know there character, stregnths, weaknesses. You'll find that the Nova and MKS are really different in sonics. I purchased the Nova with intentions of selling the S-Jx, but as stated above, it just does not replace but simply complements.

Try this for proof:

Mod a patch with a *very* slow attack with lots of resonance(you could employ after touch for this). A/B this on the MKS and the Nova. While the Nova calculates its 1's and 0's(on or off), the MKS streams a variable current for its freq's...the result, of course, is that the Nova projects a consistant and predictable 'zipperish' resi change, while the MKS is smooth all the way down to "woofer blow".

That's alot from me, but I hope it helps.

Regards,

V

Kilo, can you do a patch dump section in the analogue forum please?

Phill - don't worry mate, I still really love the Nova's sweet sound, btw, I think she's jelous since she now know that a NordRackII is moving in on the rack to be her neighbor. Let's all hope that they can get on just fine. Who knows, after a while they both might be in love with one another. Hmm, an English VA in a natty blue wedding dress marrying a red hot Swedish VA....only the trax will test the love they have between each other...'till then....

Message 9/11             31-Dec-99  @  01:59 PM   -   RE: Presets that really do please....

sitar

Link?:  Link

Does anyone have an idea of what Orbital uses on "Attached" from their CD "Snivilization"? The sound I am speaking of is a pad that steps as it fades in at the very beginning of the track and continues throughout the song.

Message 10/11             03-Jan-00  @  11:11 AM   -   RE: Presets that really do please....

SayerSeely

Link?:  Link

V,

Thanks for the info. I will look into the MKS-70 further. :-)

Sayer

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)