aaa Struggling poor artist needs help - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Struggling poor artist needs help

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/28             31-Jul-97  @  09:50 AM   -   Struggling poor artist needs help

FUTILITY9

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am a dirt poor electronic musician who has
really been struggling with a lack of resources,
and attempting to make dance music regardless.
I have been stealing drumbeats off CDs, sampling them with my shitty SB16 Wavestudio
program, and looping them. I have NO (well, maybe a couple dollars - I'm stateside) money for synths or REAL samplers, so I've been mutating my guitar rig with mindblowing amounts of effects, thus simulating dozens of different instrument sounds. Though this is a cool approach up to a point (and I'm much better at guitar than actual keyboard technique - though I can program suprisingly well with inferior shit programs), but I feel the real need for more tools. I'm pretty sick of recording all my music as .wav files and having them turn to mud, so any tips on .wav manipulation, e.q.ing, or free software - or how I could get a usable virtual synth for pretty cheap - I know that there are hundreds of other things I'd like to ask, but I'll post again. Being a musician with unlimited vision and very limited resources is a tragedy. Any help that you could give me would be EXTREMELY appreciated!! Anyone who is reading this and has ANYTHING to say should respond and/or Email me. Help and contacts with fellow devotees of my chosen musical genre (DANCE) would be an invaluble resource. Well, I've said enough. As I said, I'll post again, so - thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/28             31-Jul-97  @  11:08 AM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

Kilo

er.....get a job !! :-)........this stuff costs money end of story.......so thats the best advice I can give you .....what you can get for little money now is rediculous, so one solid year of hard labour should yeild amazing results

Message 3/28             31-Jul-97  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

FUTILITY9

Being unemployed (though looking hard for a job) and paying all kinds of money to the government will suck all the money right out of your pockets, I'm telling you - but I'm not about to let monetary difficulties get in the way of my creative endeavors! Tips! That's what I'm asking for! I mean, you were young with limited resources once too, right? I'm just out to get some solid advice and maybe meet some people who are real artists who give a fuck about helping a fellow musician out... I am going to continue to make music, and I'm sure that eventually, through my extremely lo-fi approach, I will make some high quality recordings - trust me, I'm determined. I'd just like info and a little bit of a push in constructive directions! Now, I don't want you to think that this reply is meant as bitchy in the least... I want to convey the message that I am dead serious about my music, and want to do all that I can to get it to a level where I can feel the sense of real accomplishment. The bottom line is, I am not some casual experimenter in music, exploring my options. This is my life. If anyone can help me to make my art better, I'd appreciate it immensely. Once again, this is not meant to sound rude. So, judging from the page, I figure you've got a lot of wisdom you could empart on a struggling artist keeping his dreams alive through shitty circumstances. By the way, love the page! This is the best site I've seen on the web, and the links are great! All the other electronic dance music afficionados that I've met online have been ravers who don't ever join in the creative process, they just dance to the end result. This looked like a good place to meet some REAL electronic musicians who could help their boy out. So, okay, I'll end this tiresome rant now. Hope you get back to me, Kilo!

Message 4/28             31-Jul-97  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

kilo

well........I've been there,....the squat and the little 606 drumatix etc....... and I went despatch riding for 3 or 4 years.........started on a pushbike, and upgraded to a 100cc, 250cc, 400 cc....etc etc........yer gonna need some dosh tho, end of story........however, yes you can make some good stuff with lo-tech cheap kit.......but if you're getting crap audio when recording into yer pc, then you need a better card..........It IS possible to create some good tracks using ONLY a software like Cakewalk with audio, lots of downloaded samples, and somesoftsynths and some ingenuity.....what software are you running?....what pc power???..........

All you need is a way to paste all this shit together.......better still, why not email me with your FULL kit-list, including PC spec's, and your whereabouts.......(UK??)........email me from the front bottom page of this site mate..........

Download the hammerhead & you have instant free drums............download Stomper,....and you've got endless drum & other sounds........download VAZ (review soon)....and you have another softsynth..........download Cooledit, and you've got timestretch, audio FX, etc etc etc.........mail me !!......C'ya.........kilo

Message 5/28             31-Jul-97  @  02:12 PM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

avene

Link?:  Link

Did you hear that track by the guy who's 16, that was in
The Mix the other month. It sounded pretty well done, and all
he was using was a SB16, Cooledit, a tracker program and couple of other
wave programs....As people have been saying for years- it's not what you've
got, it's how well you use what you've...Owning an expensive studio won't make you a
better musician or artist.

Message 6/28             31-Jul-97  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

kilo

totally agree.........the whole emphasis of this iste is to show an alternative to reading the equiptment mags and weeping !!.........but there is some expenditure required....it's just knowing when to stop........

Message 7/28             31-Jul-97  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

fUTILITY/Sedusa66

Thanx for the Email Kilo! If you come up with any new suggestions, drop me another line... Anybody else - This topic's not dead, yet! (after 7! hours) I'll be back and post more, I check this site all the time. Didn't find anything at the end though... It's cool, I kept the mail as new. Thanx, Avene! Thank you, multitudes who I know will reply (Before you actually do) Well, It's time for me to get up and do my thing with the real world! Out!

Message 8/28             01-Aug-97  @  11:46 AM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

avene

Yeah, thanx for the thanx...There's another program I know of that you may like. it's called Making Waves.
I'm not sure where you can get it though, I got mine off a cd on the cover of the Mix mag a while back. It's just a demo,
but the actual program would probably be worth getting.. You can load loops, set the tempo of the loop, and the program will automatically
tune the loop to the current tempo you're working at.. If you're interested I could see if there's a contact number in the software.
Otherwise, Kilo may know where it's available.

Message 9/28             01-Aug-97  @  11:57 AM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

avene

Link?:  Link

Actually now that I think of it, Making waves would be an excellent program to use with Hammerhead and
VAZ.. You could create beats or synth loops in either of these programs, load them into Cool Edit 96 to add fx or eq the sound,
and then load them into Making Waves along with any other samples you wanna use, and create songs in there.

Message 10/28             01-Aug-97  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

kilo

try SAWPLUS............even the earlier versions are awesome for creating multitrack based sample compositions........

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)