aaa CPU SPEED? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: CPU SPEED?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             13-Sep-97  @  05:58 PM   -   CPU SPEED?

jrold

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ive got a 5x86 133mhz , and Im due for an upgrade, I can get either a Pentium 166MMX or a Pentium Pro 200, the P166MMX is a lot cheaper, but I was wondering if the Pentium Pro 200 would be *that* much more worth, would it deliver me more tracks, real-time processing , ect.. also , Im interested in getting Seers Systems reality now that I will have a fast enough computer to handle it, could the Ppro200 get a considerable amount of more voices over a P166 MMX ? thanks ...

jrold@tstonramp.com

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             14-Sep-97  @  01:33 AM   -   RE: CPU SPEED?

cllu

hey!
Why not get a soundcard with builtin processor? (yes, im talking about terratecs EWS64XL)
It works as a sampler with a very nice synthesizerpart. You can use 8 stereo 16-bit, 41khz audio and still have 32 voices (+ some effects for the audio!!!).
About the CPU.. Why not buy a processor from AMD? They are a lot cheaper and sometimes faster than the ones from INTEL (AMDK6-200 is faster than P PRO200!). I dont know about PRO so much but if u just want to have from intel then i think that pro would be better.

bye bye

Björn

Message 3/24             15-Sep-97  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: CPU SPEED?

kilo

well, a pc with 64 mb ram and a p133 will be better than a pc with 166 & 32 mb ram....for h/d recording...........Forget the MMX....it's a load of old bollox and wont give you any improvements over a standard chip....I'd try the AMD 166 with more ram.......it will be faster than a intel 166.......

Message 4/24             15-Sep-97  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: CPU SPEED?

avene

Link?:  Link

I got an AMD 233 with 80mb. With Reality I get about 16 to 22 voices, but this decreases once you start stacking filters. I haven't tried it with Hard disk recording, but I'm sure that would take up a bit of cpu. Apparently using Reality with the Pentium II 266 will give you 3 times as many voices as the AMD233, but it costs a lot more... If you want to avoid any possible limitations save a bit more and get a Pentium II 300 !!!

Message 5/24             15-Sep-97  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: CPU SPEED?

Quasimidi is a stupid name, rave-o-lution is worse

is the amd k6-200 quicker than the intel 200mmx ?, is this fact, lemmie know,cos i wanna buy one  

Message 6/24             15-Sep-97  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: CPU SPEED?

kilo

er........there aint any music programmes out there that can use the MMX technology, and it gives speed improvements over standard pentium chips only noticable by a gnat on 6 E's, a gram of charlie, and several sherbert dabs of speed !!!

Message 7/24             16-Sep-97  @  07:04 AM   -   RE: CPU SPEED?

It is quicker, but I don't think the floating point is as good.

Message 8/24             16-Sep-97  @  09:16 AM   -   RE: CPU SPEED?

doubting thomas

I don't think anyone should be too quick to slag off MMX equiped processors. The
additional MMX instruction set REALLY is useful for DSP applications (of which
audio is a prime example). Saying this, we'll only see benefits when the Software
houses change their DSP code, which (I guess) shouldn't be too far off.

But for the moment, I accept Kilo's comments.

Message 9/24             16-Sep-97  @  11:18 AM   -   WELCOME TO THE TOUCH CHAT ROOM

It's like having your own newsgroup !!

Message 10/24             16-Sep-97  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: CPU SPEED?

burt

How about buying just a straight Pentium200 ,no mmx bollocks, no k6 (floating point problems), besides straight P200`s are piss cheap now , right?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)