aaa the Future of synthesis - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: the Future of synthesis

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             14-Sep-97  @  09:21 PM   -   the Future of synthesis

nimanda

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

is the new Nord Modular, forget about all the virtual stuff, this is the one that will attract other life-forms from wherever, its expensive but its the best investment you can make as long as your computer has disk space you can add sounds from calvia, lfo´s, new filters whatever because it´s a program, and for the sound-quality... well we all heard the TB on the Rebirth. And its fashion too I mean look at it its so simple and cool looking not like the Z1 gray and dead..,, no this little read angel is alive and will make synthesis history!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             15-Sep-97  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: the Future of synthesis

kilo

er........so you like the synth you bought then ?.......It is a way cool synth, but really this is all academic......NO synth ever makes it....just the tracks made using it.......and you can create just as cool track with some rare & carefully selected noises from cheap crap as with any top end synth.......

Message 3/11             15-Sep-97  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: the Future of synthesis

avene

Link?:  Link

There's another software synth out now called Generator. I don't know if any of you have checked it out, it's also fully modular, but you don't get many voices.

Message 4/11             15-Sep-97  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: the Future of synthesis

nimanda

err... Kilo I agree but look at it this way you can have great tracks and crappy synths and your sound will not quite make that pro feel, or you can have great synths and crappy tracks and it wont make it ether or you could have great tracks and great synths and you could reach that pro status, but its not only the sound its the flexibility and the ability to create new dimensions + the inspiration from the synth which will create great tracks that will sound great ... this is just the funkiest mother out there since the mini moog.. *-)

Message 5/11             15-Sep-97  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: the Future of synthesis

kilo

sorry mate, I'm not slaggin' it, but in my humble opinion I dont agree........there is no 'PRO-FEEL' to dance music.....in fact, quite the opposite.....the more you upgrade the system beyond a point the sound gets worse....I'm not talking Orb, Spice Girls, Kylie dance...... I'm talking raw -as-fuck, in yer face homebrew !!....... Just get the best drum sound possible with your system, and the bass & the rest fall into place....... GET CREATIVE.....I mean after all, the whole foundation of all the styles we know & love stem from "Crap" gear that no professional at the time would be seen dead with !!!....ain't it ?

Message 6/11             15-Sep-97  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: the Future of synthesis

nimanda

errr... point taken,..well I guess we have a crossover in opinions I do think there is a pro feel in dance music, I don’t care how you make it but if its not pro don’t put your shit out in my field (HOUSE) I look up to those how can get a GREAT SOUNDING GROVE (pro feel and sound) happening.. sure the some of the earlier stuff (and today’s)was and is raw as fuck and perhaps only made with a shitty tracker program on an ST but hey TIMES CHANGES and so do we and the equipment so why sit somewhere in a corner and bithc about it ADAPT to it and use the opportunity and grab the most flexible shit out there and GET CREATIVE to the most MAXIMUM level that you can go, as for the upgrading point were the music starts to sound bad ..er.. I haven’t and I don’t know anyone that has reached that point and if someone has well he/she just don’t know how to use it I mean just because you have it doesn’t mean you have to use it dose it... there is some overproduced shit out-there but there is some pro stuff out-there that is pro because it has great tracks with GREAT SOUNDS but I guess it will only remain as your humble opinion that there is no pro feel in house music.... no disrespect mate!

Message 7/11             15-Sep-97  @  10:43 PM   -   RE: the Future of synthesis

Earache

I was in Bristol dancing to Billy Nasty's set and I was
thinking none of these ear crushing sounds were built
using expensive synths like a Trinity. Huge drum sounds and crunching samples..thats what dance music consists
of these days...if your on about real dance music.
If you wanna play Sash/Tod Terry bollox then maybe
you do need nice twinky synths.
Real underground dance music has to sound EVIL

Message 8/11             16-Sep-97  @  07:18 AM   -   RE: the Future of synthesis

hey, where do you find out about this Nord anyway? I tried their site but there was no response, the server was down or something.

Message 9/11             16-Sep-97  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: the Future of synthesis

KIlo

ok Nimanda.....no sweat huh it's just my opinion........
I dunno what style of dance music you talk about, cos there is jungle to garage
......and some is more produced than others........but i will say this
.......an old atari 1040 with cubase or whatever will be STILL the best bet for a tight-timing
midi source.......macs & pc are a close second
........but for the tightest timing of all, get a cheap crappy old hardware sequencer like a
QX5, or MC500, or even an old QX7.....and play your tracks over to that, quantise and play it !! ......
.tight as a frog's pussy !!.....

no dis' either here mate !

Message 10/11             16-Sep-97  @  07:56 PM   -   RE: the Future of synthesis

S-bear

Hey, gotta get my opinion here too! ;)

It doesn´t matter how much equipment you have, you have to be good making music! If you just only have a sampler without filters n stuff it wont be much music. I think with more controll of the sound the better it will be.
But if you are good, then it sounds better with cooler stuff. And Kilo, Pc is not bad. I have not worked with an Atari yet, but with my P75 and cakewalk I have been able to create music that people like.

Im not dizzing anyone here either of course! ;)
Björn

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)