aaa awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             07-Nov-97  @  09:57 AM   -   awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Tonight I was on the phone with a real pro guy that sets up composers here in Hollywood, who's got a new take on the awe64.

Apparently, he considers the awe64 to be a superior card in the sub-$1000 level, due to the low irq & dma use, and that this contributes to substantially lower time lag, glitching, or zipper effect. Rating it just below $3000 SoundScape and Spectral systems, he claims that I'll have no problem utilizing difficult sequencing prob's like audio mixing and real-time eq's, due to the proper type of dsp which the gina doesn't have.

does this fly with everybody here? I could give a rat's ass about on-board sampling and filters, I just want proper audio sequencing.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             07-Nov-97  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64

Link?:  No link

Gimme a rat's ass, then we could discuss the matter..

Message 3/11             07-Nov-97  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64

freestyle

Right. Let's take this one from the top...

1) I've never sat down with an Awe64, Gina & EWS64 and written a routine to grab their interrupts and check how often they poll it.

2) The new EWS64 drivers don't require any IRQs, or you can chain multiple cards off one IRQ.

As for the question of time-lag, that's much more dependant on the driver architecture (which is why I want to run on NT), and how well the drivers are written. In general, Creative Labs drivers are shit. I've heard of almost no problems with the Gina (even on rec.audio.pro - and those guys are *demanding*). The Terratec drivers are not fully mature, but they're improving rapidly. Terratec seem to care.

I assume you know that the AWE64 Gold has different convertors to the other AWE64 cards, but that even at its best it can't come close to a Gina or EWS64xl for S/N.

Anyway, to sum up, I'd say that an AWE64 would be a shit choice for HD-R. Buy the Gina and use its 8 separate outputs to apply f/x etc. to individual tracks. If you need a synth on-board get an EWS64.

later...

Message 4/11             07-Nov-97  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64

kilo

have to say I agree....... however, composition is entirely different to recording....... you can compose a track on a SB16..... the quality is immaterial, it's only used rto monitor.......

Message 5/11             08-Nov-97  @  07:47 AM   -   RE: awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Again, on-board synth features aren't important, and I'll be using an outboard d/a convertor, which is better than anything Event or anybody else has, anyway. The AWE64 is (supposedly) the only card with NT drivers, which I also intend to change to, and is necessary to work with Reality.

I'm surprised myself at the guy's recommendation for this card, but it comes from the fact that he uses, just as I intend, a lot of real-time effects. I didn't want this to affect any responses, but he'll give me the card and Seer Reality for $400, which is what I almost paid for Reality alone.

Message 6/11             09-Nov-97  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64

Purple Haze

I've got an AWE64 gold and I'd say if you would use it for recording and stuff then buy something else. The d/a converters are crap imho, but if you use the digital output and connect it to an external d/a converter (I've used it with a philips DCC) then the quality is more than adequate. BUT! Only the wavetable sound can be send over the digital output, so you can't use it as a 'standard' wav output from windows (I was quite pissed when I found out).
Wouldn't buy it again.

Message 7/11             10-Nov-97  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64

freestyle

Anyway, if you use reality, you can't use your AWE for anything else. At least you couldn't last time I looked.

Just out of interest Hilevelt, what external convertor do you intend to use? The MIDIMan Flying Cow seems is one of few (that I know of) that accepts S/PDIF. But then I'm only beginning to research extrernal A/D and D/A convertors.

On a related note, wouldn't a Sonorus STUDI/O (2 ADAT-compatible lightpipes) together with 4 Korg A/D & D/A convertors and Cubase VST make for a *really* cool HD-R system? All the Cubase audio tracks individually assignable to separate outs... You'd need the mother of all PCs to deal with it though...RAID arrays would be necessary methinks.

later...

Message 8/11             11-Nov-97  @  01:31 AM   -   RE: awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64

nbenford

That is not true! On the 64 gold, wav audio does go out the S/PDIF output. That is a FACT. The normal 64 and all of the other cards' digital output only outputs wavetable. The 64 gold outputs wavetable, WAV, and CD.

Message 9/11             11-Nov-97  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64

Purple Haze

Well then maybe there's something wrong with my card, but only the wavetable goes over the S/PDIF output, and I've got the gold version.
Will check it out again though (although I'm pretty sure).

Message 10/11             11-Nov-97  @  10:46 AM   -   RE: awe64: why it's better than gina & ews64

kilo

I'd have to say, that if your worried about infintesimal timelag with midi and audio, then you should get a Falcon system or something... both Macs and PC's are inferior in this respect to the humble old atari.......

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)